PDA

View Full Version : Hi Point Carbines

Roverron
03-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Anyone have or shot one of the Hi Point carbines? Saw one in 45 acp at LGS. Looked interesting and he was asking $305 for it.

Grouse
03-18-2012, 10:26 AM
i would get keltek if i were to get one. That being said i think they are more durable than what most people think of when they say hipoint. I would pick one up if the price was right.

DaFadda
03-18-2012, 11:50 AM
I have one in 9mm. lifetime warranty, comfortable to shoot, Costs about $250-$300 depending on where and what you get. If I tell "that guy" at the range that I own a High Point, he'll say its a piece of crap. BUT... everyone seems to want to shoot it, it doesn't jam, it eats everything I feed it, and its accurate enough. For $250-300?? Go for it!

Oh, and did I say that you'll seldom if ever see one for sale used? Hmmmmm.... wonder why?

DaFadda

titanse05
03-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Oh, and did I say that you'll seldom if ever see one for sale used? Hmmmmm.... wonder why?

DaFadda

Because the people that typically buy hipoint just want a cheap pistol that spends most of its time in the case and not out at the range. Most buy one, put 50 rounds thru it, and call it reliable.
Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk

DaFadda
03-18-2012, 04:32 PM
nope.. we're talking about the 9mm carbine, not the pistols. Its reliable, fun to shoot, and well made ala AK... stamped steel, mass produced. Its NOT a tack driver, its a plinker. A cheap people's gun. But it works. I won't sell mine because its simply fun to shoot.
Fadda

Roverron
03-18-2012, 05:44 PM
So in your opinion, is This something only for the range or could it be part of a home defense group?
I realize it won't have accuracy of a 223 or 5.56, or the range. Sine I don't live on a farm or out in the country I'm in a suburb in and just look for different guns to add. I don't own an AR, but I'd like to, and I'd like to try building one. However, for the price seems like a viable gun to add. What do you guys think? Is the Keltec better? Or even step up to an H&K? Or just wait and do the AR?

Grouse
03-18-2012, 10:45 PM
honestly, I would pick up the 9mm, witha 30 round mag. throw a laser/light on it and use it for home defense.

keltek is nicer but i don't know if it is worth the wait or extra price. If you are are looking for a AR style 223 round.

Look at keltek's plr 16 very nice rifle

and su-16

http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec-SU16.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec_PLR-16.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec_Sub2000.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/HiPoint-9mmCarbine.htm

Thedragonslayer
03-18-2012, 11:19 PM
( I take a lot of crap because of this rifle, but I like it very much.)

I wanted a pistol round in a carbine set-up. I live in a large neighborhood and the houses are close togther so a rifle round just doesn't make since for home defense to me.

I bought a colt ar that has a conversion kit to 9mm. This weapon is very accurate and also has vertually no muzzle rise. I have a couple of 30 round mags. It sits in a very tight place near the bed.

DaFadda
03-19-2012, 07:42 AM
So in your opinion, is This something only for the range or could it be part of a home defense group?
I realize it won't have accuracy of a 223 or 5.56, or the range. Sine I don't live on a farm or out in the country I'm in a suburb in and just look for different guns to add. I don't own an AR, but I'd like to, and I'd like to try building one. However, for the price seems like a viable gun to add. What do you guys think? Is the Keltec better? Or even step up to an H&K? Or just wait and do the AR?

Ron, Would I put my faith in the HP 9mm carbine in the field, with a pack, mud and blood? No. I'd want something else, and not in 9mm. In a range environment, and as a home defense weapon, where it is going to remain relatively clean and well cared for? YES. For the cost, I would buy one.

All this said, mine pretty much sits in the safe now. Swinging a carbine in my bedroom is more difficult than swinging a DW CCO at 3am. I am looking for a 9mm upper for a AR lower that I already own so that I can compete at MPrimo's carbine shoots on Thursday nights!

Roverron
03-19-2012, 10:36 AM
So, do the 9mm uppers work ok on the AR lowers? What is needed for that? just the mags and the 9mm upper?

DaFadda
03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Others will have MUCH more knowledge on this than I... my sentiment is that whatever AR 9mm upper you buy... you probably have to purchase mags that are compatible. It's not a one size fits all. The prices on 9mm uppers are in the $500-800 range, which is TWICE the price of a basic HP carbine in 9mm. That's a lot of cash.

I'm looking for a 9mm carbine upper because I want to remain true to the manual of arms for an AR. Not because I distrust the HP Carbine.

Dafadda

Thedragonslayer
03-20-2012, 12:47 AM
Others will have MUCH more knowledge on this than I... my sentiment is that whatever AR 9mm upper you buy... you probably have to purchase mags that are compatible. It's not a one size fits all. The prices on 9mm uppers are in the $500-800 range, which is TWICE the price of a basic HP carbine in 9mm. That's a lot of cash.

I'm looking for a 9mm carbine upper because I want to remain true to the manual of arms for an AR. Not because I distrust the HP Carbine.

Dafadda

Yep! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said.:)