PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Reloading

Jdl2
03-17-2012, 06:23 PM
PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR HONEST OPINION.

I am considering getting into reloading for my handguns and starting with 45 ACP and 40 S&W. I have been on this forum for a very brief time but have already come to appreciate how knowledgeable and friendly this group is. The comraderie is simply wonderful and I appreciate you allowing me to participate.

I have MS and it has really affected my cognitive skills (concentration, focus, decision making, planning and executing, numbers, math and spelling) enough to force me to give up my business and left me unable to work or drive. Interestingly, the shooting, cleaning and handling of handguns puts my brain in a good place. Unfortunately, what we would ordinarily consider a trivial hassle - just a hiccup in the day, can sometimes take a toll on me mentally which lands me in bed. Hard to describe and not the point of this post. The point is I HAVE TO find something to occupy my brain in a positive, productive, rewarding and safe way... as and when I'm able. So, I know reloading would be a risky/dangerous endeavor and I think it would be a rewarding/fulfilling endeavor if done at the proper time?

After getting some input from other forums, talking with a few friends and reading THE ABCs OF RELOADING, I think I can do this. My wife, who obviously knows me best, has serious reservations but willing to trust my judgement (which itself is a scary thought:confused:). I've spoken with Kim Kempf and she thinks it's doable and put together a list of equipment based upon a Lee Classic Turret Kit. I'll get back to her Monday with my purchase decision. I would buy powder and primers locally but I was surprised when Kim recommended her lead bullets. The few reloaders I know use jacketed.

So, my friends, i hope i havent wasted your time with a MS tutorial. Please give me your thoughts. Too risky? Would you or wouldn't you? And where do you buy your bullets and do you recommend lead?

Thank you all for your time and interest in helping me decide.

My best to all of you.

Jim

Big Smoke
03-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm not qualified to give you an answer as to if you should or not. But I will add that if you do, I would definitely use a single stage press. That way you can keep an eye on each step of the process before moving on, making sure have have everything correct. A progesssive press makes you think about several different things at the same time, and can be a little confusing.

GoldenVolt
03-17-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm not qualified to give you an answer as to if you should or not. But I will add that if you do, I would definitely use a single stage press. That way you can keep an eye on each step of the process before moving on, making sure have have everything correct. A progesssive press makes you think about several different things at the same time, and can be a little confusing.

Jim,
I would agree with Big Smoke. But I would suggest, you get a turret press. That way the dies could be set and you wouldn't have to remove one die to install another.
Start out with very small batches like 5. De-prime and resize the 5 cases. Clean out the 5 primer pockets. Bell and prime each case. Charge each case, weighing each one. Place 5 bullets and seat 5 bullets.
After you get the hang of it you can increase the batch size.

Greg

Jdl2
03-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Where do you guys buy your bullets? And do you use lead?
Thanks to both of you.
Jim

DaFadda
03-18-2012, 07:50 AM
JDL.... Also not qualified to make your decision as to whether or not to reload. THAT said (standard disclaimer-lol) the Lee Classic turret press is a good choice. I use one myself, in addition to a Rockchucker. The advantage for you is that once you have the removable turret set properly, it will hold its tolerances quite well (not too many adjustments once its set up correctly.) Remove the auto advance ratchet on the press, and you have a VERY servicable single stage press (to the point of other respondents) that can be hand turned to the next operation.

All of this said. I have some experience with friends with MS. Your wife is very wise to have some reservations. My sincere suggestion is that you find a reloading partner, and only charge and seat loads when you two are together. Four eyes and two brains are better than one. There are a lot of steps in reloading that can be done alone, so you would have plenty to do. I.E.

1. cleaning
2. Depriming/case prep
3. priming ( I prefer Hand priming)
4. Belling / Flaring of Cases

All the above can be done by yourself. Having an extra set of eyes and hands to check powder charges, and to seat and taper crimp the final rounds? This is where your MS MAY (and I stress MAY... only you, your Doctor and the Mrs. know your limitations) require the assistance of a trusted friend.

I would suggest a Wilson or Dillon "Pistol Max Gage" in all calibers you are reloading for. It checks the critical dimensions of the completed round. It's basically a "go-nogo" gage. If the round fits, it will fit in your chamber. If it don't... it won't. I don't put a lot of lead down my barrels, I prefer Montana Gold FMJ or JHP in 230 grain. I buy them in 1000 - 2000 lots. (I'm getting lazy, don't want to work at getting the lead out).

Good luck in your decisions. And show your wife this thread. Talk it through with her. "its a good thing."
God Bless,
Fadda

In all things, please.... Safety first.

DaFadda
03-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Jdl... here's what it looks like. The turret installed in the press is for .357 magnum. On the bench to the left is a turret that is already set up and ready in .40 S&W. All I have to do is a 1/4 twist and lift off the turret and replace with the new caliber. The three dies are the deprime/case straightening, Second is belling, third is seating.

By removing the auto index ratchet (not shown, I also prefer batch processing) this is a very servicable and reliable setup.

Just my 2 cents

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/DaFadda/P1020573.jpg

GoldenVolt
03-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Jim,

I also don't like shooting much lead. It will crud up your dies and smokes like a fraught train when shot.

I mainly use Rainier plated bullets. Depending on who has the best price on the day I order Midway, Natchez or Cabalas.

Stay safe.

Greg

DaFadda
03-18-2012, 12:35 PM
a "Fraught Train". Methinks you speaketh the King's English faultily my liege!
ROFL
Fadda

svandamme
03-18-2012, 01:18 PM
The smoke is actually not to bad if you keep from maxing out the loads.
I run 200 grain LSWC with VihtaVuori powder and they don't smoke any more then my factory Fiocchi 230 ball.

I do also have Magtech 200 grain LSWC, i shoot that just to get fresh brass , plinking and yes , the smoke on those full power Magtechs is terrible..

Have fun with yer reloading , i think you'll be fine with a turret press.

MS is a biotch, but it's not like you have to rollover .. stay active, I'm sure , if you take your time, you'll be just fine reloading..

Grizzman
03-18-2012, 02:06 PM
A good aspect of single stage loading is that it can be done very effectively in batches. The use of multiple loading trays makes it fairly simple to ensure the current operation was completed on a piece of brass, including visually inspecting every case in a tray for the appropriate amount of powder.

I've been using a Rockchucker for a long time and can recommend it without reservation.

I only use jacketed bullets (Hornady XTP, Nosler JHP, & Sierra FMJ) and typically buy them from MidwayUSA.....actually logged in to order some more .308 bullets for 30-06. I also use Brownells and Naches if I'll be ordering something else from them.

Good luck in your decision.

Grizz

GoldenVolt
03-18-2012, 02:20 PM
a "Fraught Train". Methinks you speaketh the King's English faultily my liege!
ROFL
Fadda

My bad. :rolleyes: I was watching Full Metal Jousting.

Correction...... Freight Train.:D why would spell check let that go through?

Thedragonslayer
03-18-2012, 02:30 PM
(from a non-reloader as of yet.)

I was considering reloading myself just a few months ago, but the economy has put a lot of things on hold.

I have "played around" with very small set-ups and large multiple stage set-ups. I felt the multi-stage presses such as the Dillion could load a lot of ammo quickly. You may not have to worry about time though, but that is a consideration. If you are punching paper, speed is king IMHO. But if you want precise reloads for specialized shooting, the hand work is preferable.

With the larger presses, you also get several alarms that will limit "serious" mistakes and thats what I liked the most. Once you start the process and have everything measured out correctly, the process and alarms work to keep you out of the "danger zones." Visual inspections of each load and an occasional measure check are very easy to do and also help build on your quality.

The bad part is price. I was just over $1,200 for a fully set-up Dillion 650 with all the bells and whistles. :mad:

Just some thoughts.

Good Luck and please let us know what you decide to do.

:chopper:

Noel

Big Smoke
03-19-2012, 10:19 AM
I started out with a used Dillon 550b, and a used case cleaner and separator. It came with .45acp dies. I slowly added some bells and whistles, and more dies as the need arose, as time went on, and then came across another guy who was selling his Dillon 550b, and I bought his, and then slowly added some bells and whistles. I have a lot more bells and whistles I can add, but I have what works for me, for now, and I don't see a need to add a case feeder at the moment, although I'd probably love it if I did.
But it isn't everyday you find someone selling their Dillon press. Most people, like myself, hold onto them for dear life.
The down side to starting with a progressive press is you get spoiled. I bought a single stage press and tried to do some loads just to check for accuracy, but I just didn't have the patience anymore.

Jdl2
03-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Thank you my friends for all of your invaluable input. Regrettably, after reviewing your counsel, consulting family, friends and doc the overwhelming opinion is that I am not capable of reloading. So I will not be moving ahead with this endeavor. Bitter pill for me to swallow. However, nothing like giving up the Harley last year. Thank God I am able to continue shooting and derive great pleasure from doing so.
My best wishes to all of you.
Jim LaTulip
Oswego, NY

Lane
03-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Lots of good info here, and as you've already figured out, everyone will help as much as we can. I found the best thing for me was to establish a strict routine when loading. ALWAYS do everything in the same order, the same way. That allows you to ensure that you don't under/over charge a case, or try to press a primer in a case that's already primed.

Do you have a friend or neighbor who reloads who can walk through it with you a few times? Every reloader I know is always willing to help a newbie get started.

Where do you guys buy your bullets? And do you use lead?

I use jacketed, and buy my bullets from Precision Delta (http://www.precisiondelta.com/). I've found their prices to be very good, and they include shipping (your mail carrier will HATE you - give a good tip at Christmas! :D)

I've found reloading to be very relaxing and therapeutic - I think you'll enjoy it. Please feel free to post questions as the come up.

Lane

ETA: I missed your last post - sorry to hear that it won't work out for you. If you lived closer I'd have you over for reloading sessions (that usually involve some leather cutting...)

Best wishes and prayers for you...

Jdl2
03-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Thanks, Lane. Disappointing but in the scheme of things not the worst to happen to me by far. My prayers are with you, too. Each day.
Kind regards,
Jim