PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins ...

Dred
03-21-2012, 02:53 PM
On my way to work now. About 160 rounds this morning. Only 2 events: 1. one checkmate mag failed to lock the slide back at it's first at bat. 100% thereafter. Two Wilson 8rd and one 10 rd were flawless. 2. hopefully this is minor, but the rear site loosened up enough to slide completely out around the 145 rd mark. Found a tool to retighten it, but it was loose again by 155 rd mark. I'll work on it again in the morning.

Now for the new guy question. I expected the barrel to bushing fit to be tighter. When I disassembled her last night, no tools were needed. And I can fwel axial play when I put my index finger on the end of the barrel and jiggle. I didn't expect this. Is a small amount of play acceptable when she's in battery?

Overall, she feel fabulous and shooting her was great fun.

Thanks

Riverpigusmc
03-21-2012, 06:48 PM
I can take down my Wilson without a bushing wrench, but there is absolutely no play in the bushing/barrel when in battery..Dave may know what to tell you

Dred
03-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your help. It's the play that concerns me. She was test fired May of '10, so she sat awhile before finding her home. I bought her as new and she didn't have any indications of wear, so I'm thinking she left the factory looser than the norm.

I'm wondering if I should consider sending her home for a bit of TLC. Until I get some decent glasses and a rest, I'm not going to be able to shoot for grouping.

If I can get her sight to stay put, I'm definitely confident about the range portion of my CHL Class on Saturday. And if not, I will try out the AA Slide conversion tomorrow. It came yesterday too, but I didn't intend on testing it out until after CHL qualification. I wonder how the instructor would feel about qualifying with 22 lr?

T any rate, it's fingerprint appointment followed by an outdoor range if the weather cooperates tomorrow.

Riverpigusmc
03-21-2012, 09:44 PM
If your rear sight has set screws, the purple loctite may help..NOT the red or pink. Actually, Loctite has blue, the brand I use has purple for smaller screws..Permatex is the brand, got it at Walmart. I'd sight it in, loctite it, and test groups before sending it back.

Dave Waits
03-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Dred, if you don't have one, borrow a Dial-Vernier. Measure the bushing opening in the slide and the outside-diameter of your muzzle and call EGW. For about $30.00 they'll custom-cut you an Angle-Bore Bushing that'll be better than anything the original Manufacturer can install.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii180/retmsgt123/IMG_0595.jpg

Dred
03-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Gentlemen,

Thanks. Loctite was my first instinct. But the reaction of the guy at the range store (borrowed their allen key to snug it up the first time) led me to question it's application. But I've got a bottle of the blue I'll pack with me tomorrow.

Regarding the EGW. Perfect! Much better than thinking of sending her off. I haven't used a dial caliper in 20 years. Brings back great memories of playing in the machine shop
as an undergrad. I've got a digital vernier that I don't really trust (Harbor Freight) but I bet my LGS has a dial.

Thanks again.

Dred

DaFadda
03-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Dred, if you are in any way unsure about using the vernier, try your local Vocational High School (they have to have them in Texas too) and ask the instructor of the Machine Tool Shop to make the exact measurements for you. I'll betcha he know's exactly how to use a vernier. Just don't bring the whole gun. Even in TX, you'll be arrested! Any tool and die maker can take the measurements for you also.

I've used the math departments when I couldn't figure out an angle for a picnic table's legs, and occasionally had my hair cut by the school' hair stylist classes.