PDA

View Full Version : How do Rock Islands compare?

MajO
03-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Lately, I have seen a lot of posts about Rock Island 1911s. All have been very positive. I am curious as to what people think about the RIA quality compared to more established brands. I.e. Colt, Springfield, the name that won't be mentioned, etc) RIA seem to be priced at 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the other brands. I am also aware of the amount of "customization" on some of the fine pieces that I have seem online. I am considering a 9mm, or 38 special for my next project, (or maybe an AR:D) so I am just looking for input. Best wishes.

Roverron
03-22-2012, 12:59 PM
good questions. I'd like to do the same thing. either start with a 9 and build a 38 super or ??. My goal is a 38 super, but not a long slide. I can't stuff that big a gun in my pants!

Dave Waits
03-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Sir, RIAs have a level of quality all out of proportion to their price. Granted, I modified mine to a large degree but, not because it needed it, because I wanted them and I can't keep my hands off of things. As a justification, some of the Mods are because I'm Left-Handed. In close to 14,500 rounds my Rock has been dead reliable for over 14,000 of them. I actually chose it over a brand-new SA Milspec loaded, for only $100.00 more( The SA) because the Rock was tighter, smoother and had a better slide to frame fit. I had the money to buy either gun.

As for the rumors of out of spec parts, frames, etc, that hasn't been my experience with RIAs. This is evidenced by the aftermarket parts I've fitted to it.

It's also every bit as accurate as higher-priced 1911s, mine, from the beginning, would shoot under 2-1/2" at 25 yards from a rest. Most Base-Model 1911s from the other manufacturers will not do this.

All in all, I think RIAs represent the best value out there.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii180/retmsgt123/IMG_0578.jpg

AutoMag
03-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Dave is correct in his post!! Thanks Dave.

The RIA GI Model 1911 is an entry level pistol and should not be compared to the high end 1911's in terms of some fit and finish levels. On a basic GI Model you are getting a $400.00 1911 unlike a $2000.00 custom build which will have all of the bells and whistles.

The RIA has a lifetime warranty on the gun itself and unless you do any mods to it to cause it to not function properly you will be OK.

The Customer Service is top notch and if you do have a problem you can call and get to speak to the gunsmith and not a go between person.

Check out www.armscorusa.com

MajO
03-22-2012, 03:08 PM
good questions. I'd like to do the same thing. either start with a 9 and build a 38 super or ??. My goal is a 38 super, but not a long slide. I can't stuff that big a gun in my pants!

They do make longer pants. :D

Snipersnest
03-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Pants??? I thought men wore trousers and women wore pants?? Sucker

MajO
03-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Pants??? I thought men wore trousers and women wore pants?? Sucker

I think that, given the right set of circumstances, both men and women pant.;)

MajO
03-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Dave is correct in his post!! Thanks Dave.

The RIA GI Model 1911 is an entry level pistol and should not be compared to the high end 1911's in terms of some fit and finish levels. On a basic GI Model you are getting a $400.00 1911 unlike a $2000.00 custom build which will have all of the bells and whistles.

The RIA has a lifetime warranty on the gun itself and unless you do any mods to it to cause it to not function properly you will be OK.

The Customer Service is top notch and if you do have a problem you can call and get to speak to the gunsmith and not a go between person.

Check out www.armscorusa.com

Thanks Dave and Automag. You have given me something to think about. The nickle 38 super is interesting...

dboy225
03-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Definitely worth waaaaay more than what's on the price tag! If you want to know if they're a solid choice to a bit of research on Armscor's history. They played a large roll during WWII providing US troops with Colt 1911s during the Pacific island hopping campaign! The craftsmanship might not be on par with your top-end custom pistolsmiths...but we're talking thousands of dollars and lots of time for that sort of project. As for being reliable...oh yes. They work! Honestly I'll never go back to any other brand (although I do want a museum piece one day) because one of the head guys at RIA, Arnel, is probably the best person I've ever dealt with when it came to customer support. And the Lifetime Warranty is just :eek: awesomesauce. As long as you're not drilling your slid or anything crazy like that he'll even install competitor's parts into you gun. And you can rest assured that it'll come back home shooting the first time every time, and accurately at that. I just discussed a lot of that with Arnel just recently, and he's almost got me convinced to ship it! My local gunsmith has a month or more or backorders..sooo we'll have to see.

NAMVET72
03-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Here is my Input, AutoMag is the East Coast Rock Pusher................

And Dave is right, they are Great for the money and Good for Build Platforms......

I have 3 so far waiting on my 38 Super to arrive at my LGS..............

Clyde

Mike45
03-22-2012, 05:55 PM
I love my Rocks and I would say that the Rock is a solid budget gun.

I have put my fair share of mod's into the one's that I have and I will continue to do so in the one's I have left that are not modified.

But I am moving in a different direction and that is in buying guns that don't need modification (i.e. Dan Wesson) or semi custom built guns.

My reason for this is that it has been a wear on me getting the gun/guns the way I want it them.

I am going to start buying or having the mod's to my guns' done in one full service place. That is the one thing that Rock Island can not offer.

Neener Neener
03-22-2012, 06:14 PM
While I have no where near the level of expertise as others who have posted in this thread, I will still offer my opinion. I have a couple of DWs, a Colt, and an STI. As previously stated, the RIAs are way out of proportion quality to cost wise. Mine is a commander. While it did have initial issue with FTF/FTE, RIA had it fixed and returned in 2 weeks with some additional tweaks done by Arnel just as an added bonus. The trigger is great for an entry level piece. Accuracy is spot on. It gets carried on a regular basis, just as do my other 1911s, with my absolute confidence it will work as needed should a situation arise where it has to protect me or my family. There is just no going wrong with purchasing one.

dboy225
03-22-2012, 06:47 PM
..about RIA not having a custom shop.. with the new announcement of their new online store I'd really be surprised if they don't have that planned for the future ..too many people want a one stop shop

♤Sent via Tapatalk for Android♤

Mike45
03-22-2012, 07:16 PM
..about RIA not having a custom shop.. with the new announcement of their new online store I'd really be surprised if they don't have that planned for the future ..too many people want a one stop shop

♤Sent via Tapatalk for Android♤

That would be a big step in getting them to the next level.

I have been following them on Facebook and Martin is really making a lot of very good changes.

One interesting note Martin posted, late in 2012 he had 3000 gun come in and he sold them all in, I think, one day. During that same week he sold an additional 2800 that were on the water making their way to the U.S. He is now scrambling for additional inventory. They are making them as fast as they can turn them out.

They must doing something right.

MajO
03-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks for providing your experience and opinions. While waiting for my Long Slide to return from Robar, (projected for April 17) I am pondering my next project. I am considering:

A 9mm 1911,
A 38 Super 1911,
A Coonan 357 Mag 1911

or, in a differnet direction, an AR.

:party:

Dave Waits
03-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Definitely a 38Super!

MajO
03-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Definitely a 38Super!

Dave,

Pardon my ignorance, but what would the significant difference be between a 38 Super and a 357 Magnum?

Best wishes,

Joe

SemperFi1977m
03-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Im late to the show, but I have to agree with everything said here. I started with a RIA GI in 45acp and it never missed a lick. For well under $400, I couldnt of asked for a better pistol.

I just bought a longslide Match recently, and that thing is one of the sweetest 1911s Ive encountered. The fit n finish on it blows much of it's higher priced competition out of the water. The Match models get hand fitted and you can tell. The slide feels like it rolls on bearings, the feedramp is highly polished, and everything is blended perfectly on the back end of the pistol.

I like my RIAs so much, that I sold my Ruger and ordered another GI....but this time in 38 super! I also am trading for a used, but never fired Tactical in 45acp next week to fill in as my daily carry that the Ruger used to serve as.

You cant go wrong with their pistols; and if you feel you did, Arnel and Ivan will make it right without any hassles ;-).

BTW, Im with Dave....38 super for your next project! Or knock out 2 of your wishes with one stone and get Arnel to send you an additional 9mm barrel for the 38 Super pistol. Someone on the big forum just did that.

Dave Waits
03-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Dave,

Pardon my ignorance, but what would the significant difference be between a 38 Super and a 357 Magnum?

Best wishes,

Joe

sir, mainly one of capacity. Also, the 38Super is a good defense round on it's own. With lighter bullets, it's a hot rod just like a 357. Then there's the fact that no revolver can hide as easily as a Semi-Auto, especially a 1911. As Lonnie stated in his post, you can also switch out with an extra 9mm barrel and bushing and have a dual-caliber platform.

Thedragonslayer
03-23-2012, 04:20 PM
I think that, given the right set of circumstances, both men and women pant.;)

That is funny as well... (the word that rhymes with "well"):D

I have learned today never to tangle with MajO, he is quick!:eek::D:p

Noel

MajO
03-23-2012, 05:04 PM
sir, mainly one of capacity. Also, the 38Super is a good defense round on it's own. With lighter bullets, it's a hot rod just like a 357. Then there's the fact that no revolver can hide as easily as a Semi-Auto, especially a 1911. As Lonnie stated in his post, you can also switch out with an extra 9mm barrel and bushing and have a dual-caliber platform.

I agree that revolvers are harder than semi-automatics to hide, usually, but the 357 magnum I had in mind is not a revolver. (I have a 4 inch Python and a S&W 640.)

It is the Coonan 357 magnum 1911. http://coonaninc.com/

I just didn't know how it compared, ballistics wise, with the 38 Super.

Thanks.

Joe

MajO
03-23-2012, 05:08 PM
That is funny as well... (the word that rhymes with "well"):D

I have learned today never to tangle with MajO, he is quick!:eek::D:p

Noel

Noel,

A twisted mind is a terrible thing to waste. "Quick" must be COTEP speak for smart ass. :mob:

Have a great day. :D

Joe

Thedragonslayer
03-23-2012, 05:10 PM
hehehehe!