PDA

View Full Version : New DW Valor

Jeeves
03-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Hey Guys,
I got a new Valor a few weeks ago and managed to take to the range a couple of times before I had to leave the country on work. One thing I noticed was there was a small amount of lateral movement on the slide. I was expecting, from everything that I had heard, the fitting to be tight with pretty much no movement on the slide.
Am I being over critical and this is to be expected on a DW or should I be making enquiries with DW?

JohnnyMoses
03-23-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm not going to be able to help much. I carry "another brand" daily. I'll check my Valor tonight. We may have to compare notes on how we are measuring this side to side play. IMHO if she shoots good I'd be happy. Course with a gun as nice as a Valor we don't want no GI rattle.:)

Thedragonslayer
03-23-2012, 04:32 PM
My CCO is tight as a tick.

Why not just give them a call ask. They are great folks!

Jeeves
03-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Hi Slayer, thanks for the info.

It's not a huge amount of movement, as well it shouldn't be, but my understanding was it would/should be none with a quality 1911. It's the first 1911 I've owned so I don't have a frame of reference other than others I've handled in the shops.

I think I will try giving them a call once I get back home and see what they say. In the mean time any other comparisons from other DW owners would be appreciated and may help in any conversations with DW.

JohnnyMoses
03-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Played with my Valor when I got home, no noticeable movement side to side. Early 90's Colt was loose enough to make a clacking noise. Both are low round count.

DaFadda
03-23-2012, 09:14 PM
As a previous owner of 1911's... Jeeves... the amount of lateral movement "should" be minimal. I believe that there will always (and probably should be) SOMETHING, or the gun would tighten up and freeze. Which is not a good condition. That said, my CCO has no perceptible movement. Which means that its "tight." Only the future, and a few thousand rounds may change my opinion.

Short story: If you are not happy, call CZ-USA and ask to return it for adujstment. See what he says. I liked him, he was fair to me in my latest return.

Dafadda

ColMike
03-24-2012, 07:09 AM
I have a relatively new valor (about 150 rds) through it). It has no perceptible lateral movement.

HOLLYW00D
03-24-2012, 11:44 AM
i recently took ownership of a valor with a 12/9/11 "birth date" and have only 50 rounds through it. the slide has no play. i do, however, have it lubed with grease instead of oil (Buzzy's Slick Honey to be exact). perhaps the grease makes it "fit" better, but i don't recall noticing any play right out of the box, either.

Jeeves
03-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the input so far, it's good to get a reference. On mine there is definite movement and as I say I was expecting a tighter fit. I think I will give DW a call first chance I get. My only issue is that they might want me to send it back to them to have a look at it, then I will be Valorless for however long! :-(

Thedragonslayer
03-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the input so far, it's good to get a reference. On mine there is definite movement and as I say I was expecting a tighter fit. I think I will give DW a call first chance I get. My only issue is that they might want me to send it back to them to have a look at it, then I will be Valorless for however long! :-(

They usually are very responsive from what I have heard from other people. I wouldnt worry about it. If it aint right DW will fix it.

Certainly anyone paying a premium dollar for a 1911 would expect the slide to be very tight. You could also call Dave Severns and ask him. He may have a little more input.

TJM
03-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Let us know what you find. My valor with about 700 rounds through it still very very tight.

titanse05
03-25-2012, 10:57 AM
You are being overly critical. Minimal movement is acceptable. If it goes BANG when you pull the trigger and you hit your target then its good to go IMHO. All three of my DWs fit the bill nicely. I'll have to go check them for side to the side movement......lol

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk

Jeeves
03-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Well I have certainly been called worse than over critical but I would say being over critical is what makes the difference between something being acceptable and something else being higher quality. If we were talking about some saturday night special then fair enough but I believe I have parted with enough money to allow me to be over critical about my purchase. 99% of guns will go bang and hit the target, even in the hands of my wife, but if you purchase something labelled in the 'custom' market you expect a little more.

Lane
03-26-2012, 07:56 PM
I have varying levels of movement across all of my 1911's. My CBOB is pretty tight, my Springfield MilSpec sounds like a maraca when you shake it. But, it's my understanding that the bushing to barrel fitting is far more important than slide to frame. I fit a new bushing in my MilSpec and it's more accurate than all the others that cost far more.

We need an alert that calls Dave Waits for the definitive answer... :D

Lane

titanse05
03-26-2012, 08:51 PM
For the record, the valor is not a custom, its among the finest example of what a high end production 1911 should be. If you aren't happy with your valor call Dan Wesson. I'm sure they will try and meet your expectations within reason.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk