PDA

View Full Version : Advantage Arms 1911 .22lr Commander Conversion Kit

Jason_G
03-25-2012, 11:31 AM
So I bought an Advantage Arms .22 lr Commander kit for my '08 Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, which is my carry weapon. I figured that it would allow me to shoot a higher volume of rounds (.45 ain't cheap anymore), while keeping the trigger and nuances of my carry weapon's lower half.

The kit set me back about $235 + shipping (about another $12).

It has black serrated Kensight adjustable sights, with a fairly tall front post. Although not on their website, I have seen some of these kits with threaded barrels, so my guess is that they use one set of sights for all of their kits, and they have to be tall enough to "see over" the can on the supressable kits. These sights barely fit in my Milt Sparks Summer Special II, so they may be a no-go for kydex/plastic holsters that don't have a very tall sight channel. There is a steel insert in the aluminum slide that allows the slide to lock back when empty, which is not a function that is present on some .22 conversions, and it's something I really wanted, since this will be a trainer, not a target pistol. The magazine is plastic, except for a metal insert on the follower that engages the slide stop when the mag runs dry. The magazine seems to be of good construction, but I was slightly disappointed to see that they do not drop free. They have a rough texture though, so maybe with some use, they may start to drop free. I'm tempted to put a little sandpaper to them. There is a card in the kit that states not to use certain brands of ammo, such as Federal, or Remington Thunderbolt. It goes on to state that Rem Golden Bullet, CCI Minimags, and a few others are recommended. It also states not to dry fire.

While I was waiting for the kit, I was really concerned that the slide wouldn't cycle because, as some of you may know, on a bobtailed MSH, the mainspring is not the conventional MS you find on a government or commander model, because they are too long. The MS on a bobtail is usually a 23# officer model spring, and that's the case with the DW CBOB. Knowing that at one time for these kits, it was SOP to swap out the MS on government and commander models, which usually range from 18.5# to 20#, to an 18# or 17# spring to allow proper cycling made me worry that I'd be doing mainspring swaps every time I wanted to run the kit, since I am running a 23# spring. I had even decided I would just buy a dedicated MSH with a lighter spring in it, to make the swap faster.

My second concern was that the slide to frame fit might be either too tight for the slide to fit, or on the other hand, sloppy loose. I was prepared to buy a slide file in case it was the former, and was praying that it wasn't the latter.

Well, I am pleased to say that neither of these concerns were necessary. The kit went on the frame (fit was great) and ran 36 gr Remington Golden Bullet HPs with no cycling issues whatsoever. I didn't even oil the frame rails, because I wanted to see this kit at its worst lube-wise, so I would know what sort of malf's to expect. Nada. Ran great. The only hiccup that I had seemed to be mag related (or maybe operator error, not ensuring that the rounds were seated perfectly in the mag ): on the first mag I ran, the last round failed to feed. No jam though. I could not replicate this malfunction again. I wasn't too worried about it, as I expect to see some malfunctions with anything that shoots economy rimfire ammo, and especially if it's a conversion on a centerfire weapon.

So obviously the main reason I bought this kit is the economy. Ammo prices are getting ridiculous, even if you roll your own, and it's killing me to not be able to practice as much as I want. Being a high school science teacher, I started doing some calculations:

A box of 525 rounds of Rem Golden Bullet is about $20, which means the price per round is around $0.04.
A box of 500 rounds of .45 ACP practice ammo (WWB) is about $225, which puts the price per round at about $0.45.
At those prices, that means that upon shooting one box of .22lr ammo (525 rnd pack), the kit is "paid for" in ammo cost savings, and the shipping would be "paid for" after another 24 rounds.

I, unfortunately, haven't had a chance to see what it does on paper yet. Where I live, there is a ditch at the back of our property, and I usually use the opposite side of the ditch as a backstop, but it had water in it, and I didn't feel like getting my feet wet (wuss, you can go ahead and say it ). But I did toss out one of those small water bottles (I guess they're about 8 oz bottles), which is about 3" diameter, and I was able to dance it around pretty easily from about 10 yds, without ever adjusting the sights, so it appears to be pretty much dialed in, and looks like it will have at least acceptable accuracy to do what I want to do, which is use it as a trainer for defensive pistol shooting. Of course, I'll still be shooting .45 ACP as often as I can, but this will allow me to shoot a higher volume of rounds, and I'm a firm believer in trigger time.

All in all, if you're looking for a good .22 conversion kit, this looks like it might be a good one. Still early to say that definitively, but it's looking like a winner so far.

Thought I'd share in case anyone else might be wondering about them.

I'll post back when I get to put it on paper, and maybe add a few pics.

FWIW, I'm not affiliated with AA in any way. If this thing turns to junk after 500 rounds, you'll hear about it.

Take care guys,

Jason

AutoMag
03-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Great choice on a conversion kit Jason, in my opinion the best one on the market.:)

I have had an Advantage Arms Target Model on a dedicated RIA frame now since November of 2006 and have had fantastic results with it. I have not had any problems at all with the kit. The Advantage Arms kits also offer the last shot hold open feature. I know, I have a grip screw missing!!:D
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/AutoMag180/20100726_11.jpg

Dred
03-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Similar experience with the AA Commander Length Conversion. Flawless through 250 or so rounds so far. 3 more mags arrived for testing last week, so back to testing.

Took a bit of file work on the slide and a bit of manual manipulation to get the slide operating freely on my VBob. One failure to fire on a CCI MiniMag round, but that round flew through without incident on it's second pass.

I've only fed Remington Golden Bullets and CCI MiniMags. I'm simply thrilled. Slide lock back is 100% to date (beating my Checkmate experience). I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a slide refinish and Heinie Straight 8 sight replacement to complete this budget training tool. It will be my range practice go to.

I like it.

Thedragonslayer
03-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Great choice on a conversion kit Jason, in my opinion the best one on the market.:)

I have had an Advantage Arms Target Model on a dedicated RIA frame now since November of 2006 and have had fantastic results with it. I have not had any problems at all with the kit. The Advantage Arms kits also offer the last shot hold open feature. I know, I have a grip screw missing!!:D

FINALLY UNDENIABLE TRUTH THAT JOHN HAS A SQREW MISSING!!!!:D:D:D

Noel

Jason_G
03-25-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a slide refinish and Heinie Straight 8 sight replacement to complete this budget training tool. It will be my range practice go to.

That's probably my next project as well, getting a matching set of sights.

I have a Ruger 10/22 faux M1 carbine idea that's trying hard to take priority though...

Jason

Lane
03-25-2012, 06:23 PM
FINALLY UNDENIABLE TRUTH THAT JOHN HAS A SQREW MISSING!!!!:D:D:D

Noel

Is that the next step past having a screw loose?

AutoMag
03-25-2012, 06:46 PM
You guys are clowns!!!:D:D

NAMVET72
03-25-2012, 06:50 PM

He can't afford Grip Screws, so do you expect John to be able to afford 22LR ammo???????????NADA

Clyde

AutoMag
03-25-2012, 07:04 PM
OK, you got me there Clyde!!!:D

I cannot afford a hex head grip screw, anyone want to donate some,:D:D but I do have well over 100,000 rounds of 22LR ammo!!:D

Roverron
03-25-2012, 08:40 PM
So will the target model work on a commander/ officer frame? Or only on a full size? And is AA's conversion better than Marvels? For training, I think using a 22 con would be good for wife,either on my T3 which is same size as what she's ordered or my valor

AutoMag
03-25-2012, 08:49 PM
The Advantage Arms 1911 22LR conversion kit is designed to fit any full size 1911-A1 frame made to U.S. Government mil-specs.

NAMVET72
03-25-2012, 08:51 PM
The Advantage Arms 1911 22LR conversion kit is designed to fit any full size 1911-A1 frame made to U.S. Government mil-specs.

That means it leaves out the ROCKS...............

Clyde

AutoMag
03-25-2012, 08:54 PM
That means it leaves out the ROCKS...............

Clyde

Play nice Clyde!!! No bashing like on the other 1911 forum!!!:eek::eek:

Clyde knows not what he is saying Lord, please keep him safe anyway!!!!:D

They will indeed fit the RIA as shown in my post above!!!:)

Thedragonslayer
03-25-2012, 09:20 PM
So I was reading quickly and thought we had a spat going here... its just a "cat fight.":D:D:D

Jason_G
03-25-2012, 10:28 PM
And is AA's conversion better than Marvels?

Depends on what you mean when you say "Marvels". There is Marvels, and then there is Bob Marvel Customs. Bob started the Marvel company, and then sold it I believe, and started a new company, which is the latter. From what I understand, and I may be wrong, Bob actually takes the AA kits and tweaks them a little bit to sell as the Bob Marvel Custom kits. What he tweaks is unknown to me, but I would assume he makes the AA kits better. The reviews are always good for anything "Marvel" or "Bob Marvel". The thing that dissuaded me from going the Marvel route was the price (some kits over $600), and the lack of the slide lock on empty feature. I should say though, that I think some kits now have the slide lock feature, but it is not the standard in their lineup, and absent in the more accurate kit (Unit 1). They say a Marvel Unit 1 kit (the target kit) is a bullseye beast, though.

Jason

Thedragonslayer
03-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Depends on what you mean when you say "Marvels". There is Marvels, and then there is Bob Marvel Customs. Bob started the Marvel company, and then sold it I believe, and started a new company, which is the latter. From what I understand, and I may be wrong, Bob actually takes the AA kits and tweaks them a little bit to sell as the Bob Marvel Custom kits. What he tweaks is unknown to me, but I would assume he makes the AA kits better. The reviews are always good for anything "Marvel" or "Bob Marvel". The thing that dissuaded me from going the Marvel route was the price (some kits over $600), and the lack of the slide lock on empty feature. I should say though, that I think some kits now have the slide lock feature, but it is not the standard in their lineup, and absent in the more accurate kit (Unit 1). They say a Marvel Unit 1 kit (the target kit) is a bullseye beast, though.

Jason

Hey what are the price differences Jason? (posting opportunity... helping you get rid of the MIMBER LOVER tag!!!!!)

Dred
03-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Another range trip today. 200 holes in the Zombie Target. Total cost was less than $10.

Total FTF count is now 4. I now have 4 mags and I did not get to let them sit loaded. Next time I will track the mags to see if the problem can be isolated to a particular mag.

The Target is a full size conversion. Should fit a commander or officer frame if you can handle the strange asthetics. I went with the commander length for this reason. But it is plenty accurate. The Zombie shows the result of at least 10X10 shot, faster than 2 second rapid fire bursts. I could cover the slow fire pattern with a silver dollar.

Did my Texas CHL Test yesterday with the .45; score was 242/250 (175 qualifies). Repeated the test with the .22 Conversion today for a 250/250. The .45 repeat got me a lousy 248/250.

Dred

Grouse
03-26-2012, 08:41 AM
I have a marvel unit 2.

http://www.pbase.com/dsgrouse/image/132105917.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/dsgrouse/image/132105916.jpg

I like it a lot. It functions well and is very accurate. Match ammo, makes a difference. the down side is i have to clean the frame every time. I would like to pick up a Norinco Gov model for a dedicated lower.

Jason_G
03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Hey what are the price differences Jason? (posting opportunity... helping you get rid of the MIMBER LOVER tag!!!!!)

The price difference is pretty substantial. The AA kit cost me $235 + shipping. Of course, there's no receiver with any brand of these kits, so no FFL transfer fee, and it's shipped right to your door, which is nice.
The Marvels that will lock back on empty, IIRC, start out about $460-ish for an aluminum slide (which is what the AA is) if you order from Marvel. Some retailers may have them a little cheaper. The all steel Marvel unit that locks back is upwards of $600 on their site. Again, retailers might have them cheaper, but I don't know how much cheaper.

I wouldn't have any qualms about purchasing a Marvel, based on their reputation, and the fact that they support the 2A cause, but I don't have quite that much dough to sink into one. Everyone that has a Marvel seems to love theirs though.

Jason

capt7d103
03-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the review and info. I will be looking into one of these.

Roverron
03-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Since none of the 22 conversions state that they will in fact fit my T-3, DW CCO or any of the CCO sized models where there's a Commander slide and Officer frame, I did more checking. To my surprise, Nighthawk has a Bob Marvel designed conversion that does fit the CCO/T3/Officer frame/Commander slide setup. Here's what I ordered (not backordered) http://www.nighthawktactical.com/22-conversion-units.html
This is the locked barrel, target version as shown.

Jason_G
03-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Since none of the 22 conversions state that they will in fact fit my T-3, DW CCO or any of the CCO sized models where there's a Commander slide and Officer frame, I did more checking. To my surprise, Nighthawk has a Bob Marvel designed conversion that does fit the CCO/T3/Officer frame/Commander slide setup. Here's what I ordered (not backordered) http://www.nighthawktactical.com/22-...ion-units.html
This is the locked barrel, target version as shown.

The one in the link looks like it is the target Advanced Arms kit that dragonslayer posted. Bob Marvel tweaks them, and Nighthawk rebadges them. I think Wilson has or had a similar thing going as well.

Jason

Roverron
03-26-2012, 03:44 PM
You're probably correct! Advantage wouldn't commit to their Target model working on my commander slide guns or I'd have gone with them. All they would commit to, was it could be returned if it didn't fit. Plus they didn't have any in stock so it would have meant ordering through an on-line GS and possible gone thru the bs if it didn't fit. Apparently, the AA and NH versions of the mags will hold open the slide but wilson and some others won't from what I read.

Dred
03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
I did have opportunity to call Advantage Arms regarding my conversion. The least of it is that I was not impressed. The slide required a little fitting, luckily I was at my LGS. Advantages response was Milspec 1911a1 only. Well happened that my LGS had just such a critter, and the interference was there, but nominally less.

This provided inspiration for a bit of file work. And everyone lives happily ever after.

Fwiw, the Wilson is a rebadged Ceiner (ala mimber conversion) with no last round hold open.

Jason_G
03-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Advantage wouldn't commit to their Target model working on my commander slide guns or I'd have gone with them. All they would commit to, was it could be returned if it didn't fit.
I did have opportunity to call Advantage Arms regarding my conversion. The least of it is that I was not impressed.
I've heard similar tales from other folks as well. Seems like the company line from AA is that the kits fit USGI spec rails, and it's your problem to figure out whether that's you or not. Not my idea of a great business model, either.

I'm sure you'll like the Nighthawk kit though. It ought to basically be a more refined version of the AA kit. I'd like to see some pics of it when it comes in. Maybe we can figure out what the extra bells and whistles are that Bob adds. Maybe he does some sort of reliability package or refinishing on them?

Apparently, the AA and NH versions of the mags will hold open the slide but wilson and some others won't from what I read.

Yeah, I don't know much on the magazines. I have looked at the one I have, and it has a steel piece on the follower (sort of looks like a little clip of some kind) that engages the slidestop. I imagine there is no such piece on the followers of the other mags that don't lock back the slide.

Jason

Grouse
03-26-2012, 05:37 PM
another option.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/2211-1911-22lr-conversion

Jason_G
03-26-2012, 05:58 PM
another option.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/22...2lr-conversion

Those have gotten great reviews too. I thought that's what I wanted until I priced the magazines. I couldn't find a mag for less than $70. That was a deal breaker for me. It mightn't be for someone else though, and from what I hear, they are good solid kits.

Jason

Roverron
03-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Same here, the mags being so pricey hurts that. I did read that gsg makes a metal mag for these conversions, but don't know about holding slide open after last rd fired. I went ahead and bought 2 xtra NH mags because they guaranteed them to keep slide open. All that being said, I have to tell you the Sales guy I talked with at NH was very pleasant was willing to assist any way he could, I wasn't rushed through the call, in fact we talked about my T3 and my likes/dislikes and what that gun cost today,. I wha very impressed with their CS, and recd a very nice email after the call.

AutoMag
03-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Well all I can say to that is that my Advantage Arms Target Model fit very well!!

A slide assembly is fit to a 1911 frame so I can see where any aftermarket assembly might need some fitting.

I put my kit on a dedicated frame so I lapped them together for a custom fit.

Roverron
03-27-2012, 06:01 AM
I would have bought the AA Target model, if they would have committed to it working on something other than a mil spec full size frame. The price was better and looks to be close to the same product as I bought from nighthawk. They just weren't responsive to checking if it'd fit something besides a full size or not. Seems like missed sales opportunity to me.

DaFadda
03-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Hi guys... dumb, stooopid question I have here. But I've been known to ask them before.

I don't get the "conversion thing." As I looked at the prices (NH was 450, Marvel was about $480, etc... I wondered...

Why would you purchase a 400-500 dollar conversion when you could purchase the Sig 22, The Colt 22 or the GSG 22. They are complete 1911 style handguns, chambered in 22, with the look, weight and feel of a 1911 for training. GSG says they have 80% parts interchangability with the 1911. Which parts? don't know...

Don't quote me, but I think Umarex makes Colt's product, and GSG makes Sig's product. An example is that the GSG is selling for $316 today on one of the websites.

For me to make the leap to a conversion unit over a complete gun, the company would have to come in considerably lower than a $316 price point, OR be providing such high quality and accuracy that I just had to have it. I don't know what was paid for the original AA conversion from our OP.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
DaFadda

Grouse
03-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Hi guys... dumb, stooopid question I have here. But I've been known to ask them before.

I don't get the "conversion thing." As I looked at the prices (NH was 450, Marvel was about $480, etc... I wondered...

Why would you purchase a 400-500 dollar conversion when you could purchase the Sig 22, The Colt 22 or the GSG 22. They are complete 1911 style handguns, chambered in 22, with the look, weight and feel of a 1911 for training. GSG says they have 80% parts interchangability with the 1911. Which parts? don't know...

Don't quote me, but I think Umarex makes Colt's product, and GSG makes Sig's product. An example is that the GSG is selling for $316 today on one of the websites.

For me to make the leap to a conversion unit over a complete gun, the company would have to come in considerably lower than a $316 price point, OR be providing such high quality and accuracy that I just had to have it. I don't know what was paid for the original AA conversion from our OP.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
DaFadda

at the time i bought min none of those were out. I paid 200 cash for mine. and despite what those other pistols say, i have handled a few it is not quite the same as holding your own frame.

AutoMag
03-27-2012, 08:05 AM
The same here Grouse!!:)

I think I paid right at $225.00 from Midway USA when I bought my Advantage Arms Target Model.

If I was going to buy a 22 just for plinking I would go with an inexpensive Ruger MK series. They are fantastic little 22's for the money.:)

DaFadda
03-27-2012, 08:40 AM
John... I'm a Buckmark fan, but then, I've always peed against the wind!

I've not handled the Umarex/Colts, and I understand Grouse's comment that the complete guns simply weren't available. Given the propensity of people like us to play with our guns..... I'd assume that someone is going to buy the GSG, replace the MSH, trigger, sear, and whatever else they can.... and could come very close to what their 1911 is set up for. I dunno.... I'm just a workin' stiff.
(chuckling)...
Now... the comment about using your own frame has a LOT of merit, if your doing serious training and can't afford .45 ammo.
DaFadda

Roverron
03-27-2012, 09:20 AM
there's 2 reasons for me. 1--I wanted to be able to use My gun, that I also carry concealed (both the DW CCO and the NH T-3), not a separate gun. 2-- My wife has ordered her own Wilson CQB which is same size as the NH and CCO I have so it will be great practice for her to get used to the gun itself. Plus, the $$ of shooting 22 vs. 45 which comes into play whether its a conversion or separate gun. I just didn't need another 22 gun, I've got 3 now as it is but none are like or feel like my 2 guns I use daily.
There was also a 3rd issue in that if you wanted the Target model, only NH guaranteed it to fit the CCO sized frames, no one else would.

AutoMag
03-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Mike, the Browning Buckmark is a great 22!! I only wish that I had not sold mine many years ago!!

capt7d103
03-27-2012, 10:05 AM
+3 on the Buckmark. I have a target, heavy barrel Marble sight edition I bought about 7-8 years ago. It is more accurate than I'm capable of being and always functions perfectly. Its also the main reason I have not bought a 22 conversion for my 1911's. Well, that and I do have a CZ Kadet Conversion for my 75B Military. Its quite accurate also, but has "stovepipe" issues if it is not perfectly clean, thereby shortening range sessions with it. I will be looking into a AA conversion as I have several 1911s it should work with.

Jason_G
03-27-2012, 11:01 AM

Don't quote me, but I think Umarex makes Colt's product, and GSG makes Sig's product. An example is that the GSG is selling for $316 today on one of the websites...

Not a dumb question at all.

I also like the Rugers and Buckmarks, but I didn't buy this because I just wanted a .22 pistol. The reason I didn't buy one of the newer complete .22 1911s or a Ruger or Buckmark is because I wanted more trigger time with my carry weapon than I could afford buying .45 ACP.
Even comparing one 1911 to another, you know the triggers may be much different. Not to mention some of these newer 1911 .22s have plastic internals, and to be honest, I'm not sure which ones.

The main reason I went with the conversion kit is that I wanted to have the exact same feel, exact same trigger, and exact same manual of arms as my carry pistol. I plan on eventually putting the same sights on the .22 slide as well.

You brought up weight, and there is a difference, although it's not as drastic as I thought it would be. That is the one thing that I dislike most about the kit though.

The AA kit was $235 + shipping, which was like another $12.

Jason

capt7d103
03-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Alrighty then, you've got me convinced. cowboy This way I can put BBs down range with one of my DWs and not wear it out.

DaFadda
03-27-2012, 05:10 PM
+10 at Jason for his response. He wants more trigger time with his frame/trigger. If practice with your carry gun is important to you, then that's a good reason. Me? I carry three, no make that four 1911's on a regular basis, depending on what I'm wearing, or where I'm going. (NO Ellison.. NOT at the same time! LOL). So trigger feel is a bit different on each, as is sighting, etc. For me, the Buckmark provides the basic skills.

Of course... I reload, so my per shot drops like a stone compared to factory ammo. But 22 is STILL much cheaper!

daFadda

Jason_G
04-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Shot a little more than half of a 525 count box of Rem Golden Bullets today. The box cost me $20, so that's basically 260 rounds or so of shooting, for $10. :D

Gotta love it.

I spent most of the time drawing from concealment and placing controlled pairs, shooting at a 5" steel popper. Also practiced shooting while moving, and some one handed shooting.

After I shot the .22 kit, I put my .45 slide back on, and ran the same drills with it. Although the recoil for that first round of .45 after shooting all those popgun rounds a was dramatic ordeal, I could easily tell an improvement in my speed and accuracy from the draw, as well as the speed of my follow-ups. IOW, the kit is working.

I gotta say, this is squaring up to be one of the best gun related purchases I've made in a while.

Jason

ColMike
04-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Congrats on the subcal kit!

Roverron
04-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Jason, that's what ive done using my 22 conv. Plus doing single hand weak cross draw then single hand strong. That has helped me with weak hand shooting and then switch over to 45

Jason_G
04-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Jason, that's what ive done using my 22 conv. Plus doing single hand weak cross draw then single hand strong. That has helped me with weak hand shooting and then switch over to 45

Yep. I honestly have always dropped the ball when it comes to weak hand shooting and drills. I recently had a momentary lapse in common sense and accidentally cut my weak hand thumb with a hobby chisel. Cut both extensor tendons, and had to have surgery to put them back together. That made me realize how quickly a hand can be put out of commission in a SD scenario if a gun or knife is involved. All of your extensor tendons are skin deep and on top of bone, which will act like a nice anvil if they get smashed or slashed. The surgery went fine, and I have about 95% of my range of motion back, and it's getting better every day, but I will be practicing shooting and malf clearing one handed, and with both weak and strong side from now on.

Jason