PDA

View Full Version : Rg10

Big Smoke
03-25-2012, 11:15 PM
So I'm sitting at my reloading bench reloading a couple of hundred rounds, and a friend calls me. So I answer the phone and he tells me he has this friend who wants to know if I can make a gun unfireable. He has two guns that he wants to get rid of, but wants to make them unfireable before he does so. I told him that wasn't my usual goal when looking at a broken firearms, but sometimes becomes the result. :D I told him if he didn't want them, I'd take them off his hands. So he dropped them off like 15 minutes later. One is a RG10 from Rohm. It's German, and after I did some research on it, is pretty much a cheap P.O.S., better know as a "Saturday Night Special." It's a tiny .22 short with about a 1 1/2 inch barrel. Seems to be a hybrid between a single action and a double action. The cylinder doesn't have a crane for the cylinder open, but loads like an S.A. It unloads the same way. But it has a D.A. trigger. So I figure I've pretty much been given a headache, but I find out that the gun (not this particular gun) has some history to it. It's the gun Hinckley shot Reagan with, and wounded Brady, and Officer Delahunt, who sued Rohm on the basis that the gun had no use except for killing, and was shot down by the DC circut court, which is now the main predence for law today. So just for the historical factor, I think I'll hang on to it.
The second gun was a Savage 220b single shot 12 gauge. He said it was under his bed for a long time. My guess is it has been under his bed since he got it. It's real stiff, lots of surface rust, and is a bit gummed up. He said he thought the firing pin was broken, but I can get it to work, so it's probably just pretty gummed up inside the action. So while it also isn't worth anything, Iti'll be a nice piece to practice stock refinishing on, and getting the rest of the gun in shape.

Zilmo
03-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Good for you! Presents are fun to get.