PDA

View Full Version : I did it...

Lane
03-26-2012, 05:32 PM
I couldn't stand it any longer... on my way into work, I stopped by my LGS and picked up the 3.5" RIA that's been talking to me all weekend. Now I gotta find time to get to the range. I'll have some pictures as soon as I get 'er home.

One question - when he went to box it up and put everything together, someone had lost (or stolen) the mag; so he knocked of another $10 and threw in a mag from a Springer. I can tell I'm not going to be happy with this mag; even before picking it up I knew I'd be replacing the stock mag with a Wilson or CMC. Anyway, what mags do others like for the compact/office size 1911's?

Lane

Mike45
03-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Congratulations Lane on the new purchase.

I have been using Kimber/KimPro 7 round flush fit mag's on my Rock's and DW's. These mag's are made by Checkmate.

I normally buy them at the gun show but this place have them. (http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/KimPro%20Tac-Mag%20comp.html)

Dave Waits
03-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Lane, be sure before you take it out to shoot that you tear it all the way down and remove all the shipping preservative. That isn't grease. Clean and lube it good and be sure when you shoot it, to keep your wrist locked.

DaFadda
03-26-2012, 05:53 PM
KimPro TacMag in my officer's

OH! And congratulations on a new RIA!

Lane
03-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Lane, be sure before you take it out to shoot that you tear it all the way down and remove all the shipping preservative. That isn't grease. Clean and lube it good and be sure when you shoot it, to keep your wrist locked.

Thanks, Dave. I'll do it.

ETA: I should note that the first thing I do on every new 1911 is tear it apart to put that first idiot scratch on it. Get that part out of the way early.

Lane
03-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the tips. It turns out that the place where I buy my blue gun dummy's sells them for $19.95 - with free shipping.

http://www.botachtactical.com/ki11kita.html

Lane

NAMVET72
03-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Congrats Lane on your New Rock.......................

Clyde

Lane
03-26-2012, 07:46 PM
That isn't grease.

No kidding - there was NOTHING in there. This little baby was dryer than a Sunday Sermon...

AutoMag
03-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Congrats on your new RIA Compact lane!!!:)

Lane
03-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Congrats on your new RIA Compact lane!!!:)

Thanks! Got it for $389 plus tax. I felt pretty good about that. Now I need to figure out how to tell my wife I need one. Think I'm going to try the tried and true lady's trick "this old thing? I've had this for ever."

Lane

AutoMag
03-26-2012, 08:06 PM
That is what I do Lane.

I put it in the safe before she gets home from work and she never knows the difference!!!:D

Of course I can take one out of the safe that I have honestly had for years and shes says now when did you get that new one!!!:D

If all else fails Lane jewelry always helps!!!:rolleyes:

AutoMag
03-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Lane, now you just need to find a good holster for it!!!:)

I know a guy if you need his name.......................................:D:D

Lane
03-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I figure it'll cost me something...

Mike45
03-26-2012, 08:08 PM

ETA: I should note that the first thing I do on every new 1911 is tear it apart to put that first idiot scratch on it. Get that part out of the way early.

:facepalm::D

DaFadda
03-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Lane... when I told my wife I was getting my DW CCO.... she said: "Why do you need a new gun?" I succinctly told her... "I don't NEED a new gun. I WANT a new gun. And I'm taking dancing lessons with you every week. Any other questions?" She said "oh. ok.... looked at her BFF and said "he's a collector."
Still chuckling over that one!
DaFadda

Lane
03-27-2012, 01:07 AM
Lane, now you just need to find a good holster for it!!!:)

I know a guy if you need his name.......................................:D:D

Send me his contact info - sounds like a really nice guy...

I actually already know what I want. I'll post some pics one of these days...

Lane
03-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Well, I now have a choice - I can either sleep on the sofa or take dancing lessons. So, I'm heading to the closet for an extra blanket... (I can't believe Fadda didn't even bite on my Sunday Sermon dig... no fun at all...)

So, without further ado... here's the pics to prove my guilt:

Here's the gun, after a good cleaning and lubrication:

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae312/NormanXDm/IMG_0014.jpg

and, now for the good stuff - here she is nekkid:

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae312/NormanXDm/IMG_0012.jpg

For those with sharp eyes... in the picture above, which piece is missing (the firing pin, retainer and extractor are all still in the slide, so they don't count)?

I'm going to try and get her to the range tomorrow.

Lane

Dred
03-27-2012, 03:10 AM
Very nice. But I don't think I see the MSH.

DaFadda
03-27-2012, 05:11 AM
I'm sorry Lane, I just cannot correlate any of MY Sunday sermons as "dry." There's usually not a dry eye in the house (due to all the laughter!)
LOL...
+Michael

HOLLYW00D
03-27-2012, 12:04 PM
assuming the MSH hasn't been disassembled, i don't see the MSH pin*in that photo.

AutoMag
03-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Very nice Lane!!!

My eyes might be bad but where is the sear pin?

NAMVET72
03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Now Lane you need a set of Custom grips for it, and a Holster............

And need to Hound AutoMag for a RIA Towel and some Stickers..................

Clyde

AutoMag
03-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Clyde, I think Lane has the holster part down, some grips donated by a grip maker would be a nice touch for all that Lane has done for COTEP!!!:)

I can deliver on the towel and stickers!!!:D

NAMVET72
03-27-2012, 12:37 PM
AutoMag;20104]Clyde, I think Lane has the holster part down, some grips donated by a grip maker would be a nice touch for all that Lane has done for COTEP!!!:)

I can deliver on the towel and stickers!!:D:D

Well get hot and get them in the Mail...............

Clyde

AutoMag
03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
AutoMag;20104]Clyde, I think Lane has the holster part down, some grips donated by a grip maker would be a nice touch for all that Lane has done for COTEP!!!:)

I can deliver on the towel and stickers!!:D:D

Well get hot and get them in the Mail...............

Clyde

I am waiting for something else!!!:D

SemperFi1977m
03-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Congrats on the new Rock Lane!

ColMike
03-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Congrats on the new weapon.

Lane
03-27-2012, 03:17 PM
assuming the MSH hasn't been disassembled, i don't see the MSH pin*in that photo.

Ding ding ding. little sucker took off like a shot when I punched it out. Now I need to buy a new pin set.right now she's using the pin from my springer.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

AutoMag
03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Lane, how in the world did that pin shoot out like that!!!

You do mean the mainspring housing pin, correct??

Lane
03-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Lane, how in the world did that pin shoot out like that!!!

You do mean the mainspring housing pin, correct??

It was a tad stuff the first time I guess. Yes it was the main spring housing pin. Keep in mind that my work space is very messy - I'm sure that I'll find it one day.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

AutoMag
03-27-2012, 03:43 PM
OK, I thought maybe it was the MSH cap or spring!!

Big Smoke
03-27-2012, 03:53 PM

funny I'm with you on that! The plunger on my RO was so tight, I ended up putting a light scratch on it, even though I was as careful as possible. I still have to use a small pocket screwdriver to push the plunger in. After several times of field stripping, it's still tight.

Lane
03-31-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm sure that I'll find it one day.

I know people have been extremely worried about my MSH pin... well, today was the day. Moving things around, getting ready to slice up some leather, and viola! Elusive little think comes rolling out...

Lane