PDA

View Full Version : Carrying your Full size Valor

JBT
03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
I have been contemplating buying another gun for USPSA, specifically the Production Division and as a carry option. I'm looking to shoot with what I carry. Looking at what is out there doesn't excite me at all. I'm not fond of Polymer pistols and DA/SA just isn't my thing.

So, this leaves me thinking of using my Valor for Single Stack division (a family member wants my last VBOB :() instead of buying another pistol. Problem is, I have never carried a full-size Government model and don't know of anyone, personally, who does.

Anybody here carry a full size 1911? If so, what holster do you use? IWB/OWB? Any problems? Any advice?

Thanks.

Lane
03-28-2012, 04:38 PM
I carry my full size Springfield MilSpec all the time. I prefer OWB. I use a holster that carries it high enough that a T-Shirt covers it no problem.

Lane

Riverpigusmc
03-28-2012, 05:10 PM
I carry a fullsize Wilson CQB every day. OWB holster is a Wilson Lo-Profile pancake that rides high. IWB is a Wilson Summer Companion. Belt is an A&G from Al here on the forum. Great belt.

JohnnyMoses
03-28-2012, 05:14 PM
I've carried a full size 1911 daily for years. Current holster is a Milt Sparks VM-II. I find inside-the-waistband works best for me, and a good belt that fits the holster loops makes a world of difference.

Roverron
03-28-2012, 06:27 PM
I carry a full size valor in OWB and IWB and I carry a CCO the same holsters. I also carry sob with the officer. Make sure you have a good gun belt

Riverpigusmc
03-28-2012, 07:05 PM
See the common denominator in this thread? Go look at A&G Custom Gunleather's website..reasonable prices, excellent quality, and Al is a forum member..and A Marine. What else could you ask for?:D

JBT
03-28-2012, 08:10 PM
See the common denominator in this thread? Go look at A&G Custom Gunleather's website..reasonable prices, excellent quality, and Al is a forum member..and A Marine. What else could you ask for?:D

Yeah, I did notice that. I guess Marines can't be all that bad. :D:D:D

MPrimo
03-29-2012, 07:09 AM
I carry this combo a lot:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/MPrimavera/DSCN0532.jpg

It is my custom Heritage in a Bulman IWB holster. Works great with a good gunbelt. Wimpy belts are a NO GO! I can feel the muzzle when sitting in the car but it is not bad. I just like the gun too much not to carry it!

Mike

douglas_knott
03-29-2012, 09:46 AM
I carry my heritage and sometimes switch to my razorback daily. Carry in a Nick Matthews IWB holster. No issues here and love my carry rig.

JBT
03-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Is carrying a Government model in a IWB more beneficial than a OWB? Or is it just personal preference?

Lane
03-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Is carrying a Government model in a IWB more beneficial than a OWB? Or is it just personal preference?

For me, personal preference - I prefer OWB 99% of the time. It's more comfortable.

Lane

douglas_knott
03-29-2012, 02:40 PM

Personaly I feel I can hide it better IWB. I just wear a size bigger jeans. No big deal.

JBT
03-29-2012, 03:47 PM
I just wear a size bigger jeans. No big deal.

That's a thought.

JBT
03-29-2012, 03:59 PM
With the Government or Commander model, be it IWB or OWB, do you use an aggressive cant?

JohnnyMoses
03-29-2012, 04:59 PM
I find that a close to no cant (slide is straight up and down like the crease on pants) feels best when I draw, but a forward (muzzle to rear & back of slide forward) cant will make the gun tuck in right behind my hip. Really helps concealment and comfort. Seems like most IWB holsters have some cant.

MPrimo
03-29-2012, 06:06 PM

I just like the idea of that long barrel never being able to be seen poking out under a jacket or shirt.

SemperFi1977m
03-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Im 5'6", 150lbs and carry a 5" 1911 everyday in the OWB COTEP holster Lane made or the vertical shoulder rig I got from John Gleason. With the right shirt on, the length of the barrel has no bearing on me concealing it. I do find I have a little trouble with the grip printing sometimes because Im not a large person.

I did test it out though when I first got my CCW license. I didnt tell any of my family I got it and wore it around them for 2 months. No one, even my hawk-eyed father, ever noticed it. They were surprised when i finally showed and told them Ive been carrying for several months lol.

If my short *** can conceal one, almost anyone can lol.