PDA

View Full Version : COTEP Scrimshawed Grips or What Ever You Want

NAMVET72
03-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Jason G said he would do them for us........

Here is the Kickers:

1) He will do them during the Summer
2) He doesn't make Grips so you will have to send him a set of grips you want it on.
3) We need to make this a Great Show of Members...............

Clyde

Jason_G
03-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Scrimshaw will be done by hand, using a stylus, not laser etching.
The materials that work best for scrimming are buffalo horn, ivory (expensive, I know), and polymer faux ivories. I have done paper micarta before, with good results, but it required a whole lot of extra work to keep the ink from actually bleeding into the surface of the material. I might would have to charge slightly more for anything that requires a lot of prep work, etc. I would test the backside of a panel to see if this is the case, and notify you if I think it might be extra work, or worst case, a no-go.

The design would be the one I designed, the oval with the 1911 in it, that's on the supporter tag avatar.

The work can be done in black or white.

I'd try to do these for $50 shipped CONUS if y'all are interested.

If you think you would want a set, post up, and we'll make it official.

Thanks guys. If I think of anything else, I'll edit this post.

Jason

Big Smoke
03-28-2012, 06:22 PM
I like it! I have a set of Ajax faux ivory that would be perfect. I'm IN! :D

ColMike
03-28-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm in.

NAMVET72
03-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Or if need be you can have something else scrimshawed on your Grips...........

But you will have to PM or E-Mail him the pic of what you want done...........

Clyde

MajO
03-28-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm In.

If I read these posts correctly, the grips would have a Nude wearing the COTEP insignia on one grip, and, to scare away evil spirits, Clyde's likeness on the other one. I guess the material would need to be brass to keep from warping. :banghead::facepalm:

All humor (or lack thereof) aside, I am interested, but need to figure out what my next pistol will be, in order to get the correct size grips.

NAMVET72
03-28-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm In.

If I read these posts correctly, the grips would have a Nude wearing the COTEP insignia on one grip, and, to scare away evil spirits, Clyde's likeness on the other one. I guess the material would need to be brass to keep from warping. :banghead::facepalm:

Funny Joe......................... NADA..................

Clyde

MajO
03-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Funny Joe......................... NADA..................

Clyde

I'm just being a smart a___. My medication is probably wearing off. When I figure out what my next project is, I will probably send Jason a pm. As usual on this site, it seems to be quite a good deal.:hail:

Mike45
03-28-2012, 07:55 PM
O.K. I think am in.

I have a pair of Tru Ivory grips that I just took off my CCO do to them feeling slick. I was going to sell them but now I may not.

With this give me a lot more grip then the smooth surface I have now?

Would the design go longways on the grip?

Thanks
Mike

Jason_G
03-28-2012, 08:02 PM

Ehhh, unfortunately, I'd have to say it wouldn't be enough to add to the "grippiness" of the stocks. You'd be able to feel it if you rubbed your finger across the artwork, but I don't think it would make much of a difference in the feel when you used your weapon.

I can do it either way, so if you're still interested, let me know when I send pm's out.

Jason

Big Smoke
03-28-2012, 09:45 PM
O.K. I think am in.

I have a pair of Tru Ivory grips that I just took off my CCO do to them feeling slick. I was going to sell them but now I may not.

Thanks
Mike

Maybe he can scrimshaw some checkering for you. :D

Mike45
03-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Maybe he can scrimshaw some checkering for you. :D

:hail: :slap: evilnanner nanner scold

Snipersnest
03-29-2012, 07:11 AM
I had thought about scrimshawing my ivory grips, but went with a medallion instead. I'm familiar with scrimshaw having lived in an old whaling community all my life (Moby Dick's New Bedford). The question I have is, if it's a daily carry gun, won't the ink have a tendancy to wear away? I've seen older scrimshaw that has eroded from heavy use.

Roverron
03-29-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm IN; I have a set of black Ebony that would look great with white COTEP on them.

Jason_G
03-30-2012, 02:19 PM
I had thought about scrimshawing my ivory grips, but went with a medallion instead. I'm familiar with scrimshaw having lived in an old whaling community all my life (Moby Dick's New Bedford). The question I have is, if it's a daily carry gun, won't the ink have a tendancy to wear away? I've seen older scrimshaw that has eroded from heavy use.

It might, depending on the amount of use. I try to make the etching fairly deep to prevent that, though. I recommend rubbing some Renaissance Wax (Brownell's sells it) on them from time to time to help preserve the artwork if they're going to see a lot of use. You shouldn't have to "baby" them though.

Jason

Jason_G
06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Ok guys. School ended for me last week, and I am about to get started on these COTEP logo grips. I will be doing them in the order that folks posted their "I'm in," so be expecting a pm from me in the next few weeks if you posted such a comment in the thread. If you want a custom design, keep in mind I may or may not have to charge more, depending on how much more complicated (ie time consuming) the design is, but I'm reasonable, and will discuss design ideas with you via pm if you have questions.

If you want to see some other scrimshaw to give you an idea of what it looks like, take a look at this thread (http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2286). :)

Take care guys,
Jason

NAMVET72
06-06-2012, 01:52 PM
To All COTEP Members I have seen Jason's Work, and it is all High Quality Work.............

So lets get the COTEP Grips Rolling...................

Clyde

Jason_G
06-07-2012, 07:00 PM
If you want to check out progress with pics, check out this thread (http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2352). :)

Jason