DaFadda
04-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Three pics. I'll walk you through them.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/DaFadda/P1020577.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/DaFadda/P1020576.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/DaFadda/P1020575.jpg

DaFadda
04-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Picture one. right under the bear head... a vibrating tumbers that handles up to 18 pounds. Purchased from Harbor Freight tools for $149 on sale. It's twice the size as any of the reloader models out there, and twice as quiet.

DaFadda
04-01-2012, 08:08 AM
still picture one. RCBS powder measure with micrometer setting. I like it alot. also, an RCBS scale. And yes... the four hole turret press from Lee

DaFadda
04-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Picture 2. loading blocks. right behind the Lee press, you'll see the wilson max gage.

DaFadda
04-01-2012, 08:11 AM
picture 3. about 4000 rounds of .357 JHP ( I misordered from Montana Gold. Oh well...) above that, 1000 rounds of Montana Gold 200 gr Flat points.

DaFadda
04-01-2012, 08:18 AM
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/DaFadda/P1020579.jpg

pic has three removable turrets. 1/4 turn and its off.

DaFadda
04-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Shell separators. yellow is 45, blue is 40 and 38, black is 9mm

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/DaFadda/P1020578.jpg

DaFadda
04-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Mike, here is my reloading routine: I have deliberately removed the "auto index" function of the press, as my preference is to load in "batch mode." I believe I have better QC using this method.

1. sort brass. I use the sorting sieves that are in the pictures above.

2. place brass into vibrating tumbler. It is located right below the bear's head. Wait 2 hours, come back and shake out the cleaning media. I use a 50/50 mix of Lizard/bird Walnut litter from the petshop, and corncob. I also add a capful of New Finish auto polish once in awhile.

3. Deprime all rounds on the turret press.
4. Optional, but I'm anal. Clean primer pockets. Used to NOT do this, then got a motorized prep center for christmas. Now I do it. This is the perfect time to check for large or small primer cases in .45ACP. separate small and large primer cases.

5. Bell each cartridge on the turret press.

6. Take cartridges upstairs and use a hand primer to prime all cartridges. This way I can talk to my wife while I do this mundane chore.

STEPS ONE THROUGH SIX CAN BE DONE WHENEVER YOU HAVE COLLECTED ENOUGH CASES TO MAKE IT WORTH YOUR TIME. I COMPLETE THESE STEPS, AND THROW THE PRIMED CARTRIDGES INTO MY "READY TO LOAD" CONTAINER. USUALLY HAVE ABOUT 500 MADE AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT.

7. load the loading blocks.

8. Charge the rounds. The RCBS uniflo with stand will allow you to charge 25, then you turn the loading block around and run the other 25. I check charge weight every 10 rounds.

9. Inspect visually EVERY case to be sure that it hasn't been double charged. It's called "eyeballing".

10 while still in loading block, I set a bullet into the belled cases.

11. Using the Turret, I seat and taper crimp each round. Personally, I do not use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I have one, but its an extra procedure that... if you set up your seat/crimp die correctly... you shouldn't need. Its an "extra step" to me. Some others might find it useful.

12. I check every single round using a Wilson Max guage. It checks the critical dimensions. If the round is bulging at the base, it will not fit. If its too long... it will not fit. Well worth the purchase. I also sample test Cartridge Over All Length (COAL) using a Vernier Caliper.

ALL... DavisMH76 (Mike) and I were having a great conversation via IM this morning concerning reloading. This thread was started to show him my setup, and how I do things. Much of the conversation was contained in the Instant messages. So... if you have any questions, OR if I missed something... OR if you have a better way to do something in reloading... PLEASE chime in! Please remember, these are my procedures. They may or may not work well for you.

DaFadda

Riverpigusmc
01-23-2013, 08:59 PM
This post is my new all time favorite

sdmc530
01-23-2013, 10:38 PM
where did you get the micrometer powder tool on your powder dispencer? I like it....

DaFadda
03-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Phil, I got the micrometer dispenser directly from RCBS. Was about 40 or so.... works incredibly well. Worth the cost!!! might get it a bit cheaper from midway....
DaFadda

DaFadda
10-08-2013, 06:56 AM
Bumped... cuz someone wanted to know my reloading sequence...and couldn't find the old post.

TLE2
10-08-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm purchasing my first reloading "kit" from RCBS this month. So, your post helps, with more questions, helps. Good Thread!

Caleb
10-08-2013, 04:40 PM
This should be a sticky.

Riverpigusmc
10-08-2013, 09:24 PM
This should be a sticky.

I concur. So sayeth the pig

DaFadda
03-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Bumped today 3/13/17 to show Pitor my reloading routine.

sdmc530
03-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Yes, good bump!!

skosh69
03-13-2017, 02:10 PM
All that can be done with one single pull from the handle of a Dillon 650 XL. :p

Just sayin'.........

DaFadda
03-13-2017, 03:54 PM
All that can be done with one single pull from the handle of a Dillon 650 XL. :p

Just sayin'.........

Ellison... you don't have to sell me on a 650. If I was working, had deep pockets, raising a family and had very little time... I'd have one in a heartbeat. Fact is tho...

First, there are a bunch of people that just can't afford $1154 (today's price for a good version of the 650) or $1159 for the comparable LNL. That would be with the bullet and case feeders. Even at base levels, to get into reloading for $150 or so for a Lee... or have to spend 549 for a Dillon 550B, can be a huge stretch. And so, I have to stand by my position that for many people, single stage or a turret press is the way to go. Not to mention the learning curve/safety issues for new reloaders. And I also understand your position. If I lived in California, I would want to have a 650 for when the secession comes about. You will have a skill that will keep you safe. You'll be an ammo maker! (Just kidding, I DO understand your love of the 650! But there are alternatives....

Secondly, if you load more than two or three calibers, you would have to agree that the cost goes up. Large and small primer tubes, shell plates, etc...I load for 380,38,9mm,38 Super, 357mag .40 and 45 cal. In addition, I load for 7.62 x 39 7.62 Russian and 5.56/.223. I'm not loading 1000 rounds at a time, which.. btw.. I have plenty of since I'm retired.

DaFadda
03-13-2017, 05:03 PM
AND...... for you folks with really deep pockets.... No 650 or 1050 is truly complete without this add on from Ponsness/Warren. It's only $950... just a house payment... or a case of really good wine... scroll down the link to watch the video.... Ellison... you're gonna drool over this one!

https://www.reloaders.com/products/dillon-xl-650-auto-drive

sdmc530
03-13-2017, 05:46 PM
AND...... for you folks with really deep pockets.... No 650 or 1050 is truly complete without this add on from Ponsness/Warren. It's only $950... just a house payment... or a case of really good wine... scroll down the link to watch the video.... Ellison... you're gonna drool over this one!

https://www.reloaders.com/products/dillon-xl-650-auto-drive

OMG....Ellison, we NEED this. So awesome, tell you what you buy one I will try it out and make sure it works right and then I will send it to you.

skosh69
03-13-2017, 08:33 PM
I hear ya padre on the initial cost of the set up. But that being said, what is your time worth? Not you persay as you're retired. But let's say mine. My free time is starts at $50 hr. Now, that being said, why would I want to waste my time and money doing the same thing over and over again?

We drop serious coin on our rifles and pistols, so why not into reloading equipment? That always baffles me.

I'm still a firm believer in buy once, cry once. Wish I would've Known that statement years ago and bought the Dillon and not the RCBS.

sdmc530
03-13-2017, 09:27 PM
I have to agree with Ellison here I don't get a lot free time these days. With kid, wifes super busy career me working crazy hours i like to give my free time to jr when i can. On my days off besides house chores i like to bike and shoot of course.

I am not saying nobody else has a crazy life no matter what age you are but if i can reload at a faster pace and still put out a good boolit then its a win win. Guys will drop 2k on a gun or whatever but reloading that saves money they don't like.

I only had to pony up half of my set up as my dad gifted me half so I could afford the set up of my wet dreams. If for not him I would still be on a single stage. Although with the time it takes to do a couple thousand rounds I probably would have stopped reloading until i had the time again years down the road.

I think it really depends on your time allotment you can give to a certain hobby. If i would have to give up reloading now it would kill me. Just great fun.

I do have to admit one thing the single stage purchase that got me started i now feel was not worth it. I knew back then I would get a progressive of some sort someday i do wish I would have not purchased it and gone big right off. My lee set up was excellent and worked like a champ but just should of been more patient.

Gatorade
03-13-2017, 10:37 PM
I am not sold on loading dirty brass.

Just sayin.

pitor
03-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Bumped today 3/13/17 to show Pitor my reloading routine.
Awesome. Lee 4 hole turret seems to be winning in my eyes and for what I need it for. Thanks Padre

sdmc530
03-13-2017, 10:59 PM
I am not sold on loading dirty brass.

Just sayin.

Me neither. It takes little effort to clean brass and in a progressive I think it's critical. Keeps press clean and you only handle the brass once so you need to inspect them well. I clean every case and inspect every case. Might be my ocd kicking in though.

DaFadda
03-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Me neither. It takes little effort to clean brass and in a progressive I think it's critical. Keeps press clean and you only handle the brass once so you need to inspect them well. I clean every case and inspect every case. Might be my ocd kicking in though.

I'm thinking the only thing dirty that you cannot get to Phil is the primer area. Tumble the cases with the spent primer intact, then start the process? I think Gatorade checks and cleans each of his primer pockets. Perfect time to check for small primer pockets in 45. But I have a question... I believe you load primarily 45 acp. What happens when a small primer case slips through? Does it jam up the machine? just crushes the new primer? spills powder? Nothing? Serious question because I just don't know.

Michael

sdmc530
03-14-2017, 08:52 AM
I'm thinking the only thing dirty that you cannot get to Phil is the primer area. Tumble the cases with the spent primer intact, then start the process? I think Gatorade checks and cleans each of his primer pockets. Perfect time to check for small primer pockets in 45. But I have a question... I believe you load primarily 45 acp. What happens when a small primer case slips through? Does it jam up the machine? just crushes the new primer? spills powder? Nothing? Serious question because I just don't know.

Michael

I do tumble with the old primer in, its too big of a pain to clean out primer pockets. Learned that the hard way. I tumble in media and a bit of NuFinish car wax in and tadaa clean brass.

Every once in a while I do get a small primer mixed in. When cycling the press It will size, deprime and bell the case just fine. But when you try to prime a small primer case it will just abruptly stop the process. So all you do is remove the case and keep going its really no big deal. its a show stopper but not really a big deal.

I plan on making a video soon, was going to this morning but water heater stopped being hot so new install is this morning.

RKP
03-14-2017, 08:59 AM
GREAT thread Gents !! http://www.cotep.org/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

pitor
03-14-2017, 10:20 AM
GREAT thread Gents !! http://www.cotep.org/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Agreed :)

DaFadda
03-14-2017, 10:23 AM
We drop serious coin on our rifles and pistols, so why not into reloading equipment? That always baffles me.

We'll probably not agree on cost, time because it is all about personal preferences. I have plenty of time, and am short on "income" ... but this quote from Ellison is one that I haven't heard before. And it has a strong ring of truth to it. So, maybe I need to look in my safe and get rid of a safe queen or two to finance a progressive.

Which will certainly light some fires around here. I would probably purchase the Hornady LNL, simply because its not blue. ROFL.... not really... just chuckling.

Good statement Ellison, you almost got me to roll over and buy a Dillon!

DaFadda

skosh69
03-14-2017, 11:03 AM
We'll probably not agree on cost, time because it is all about personal preferences. I have plenty of time, and am short on "income" ... but this quote from Ellison is one that I haven't heard before. And it has a strong ring of truth to it. So, maybe I need to look in my safe and get rid of a safe queen or two to finance a progressive.

Which will certainly light some fires around here. I would probably purchase the Hornady LNL, simply because its not blue. ROFL.... not really... just chuckling.

Good statement Ellison, you almost got me to roll over and buy a Dillon!

DaFadda

I have really enjoyed our back and forth banter. I truly see both sides of the coin. Always a pleasure conversing with you my friend.

Muwah....a kees for chu.

sdmc530
03-14-2017, 12:47 PM
Alright Ell, we got him on the ropes now, time for Padre to get the beautiful blue machine!

I started prepping some brass today so I can make a video hopefully soon. Its such a great machine. Blue is so easy on the eyes!

This HAS been one great thread so far, couldn't agree more. Again I know its been states many times but on the "other" forum this would have had to be closed after the 5th reply due to a couple of idiots going off on each other.

Gatorade
03-14-2017, 04:23 PM
I think Gatorade checks and cleans each of his primer pockets.

Yes, yes I do. Every one every time. That doesn't even include military crimps that need to be removed. Dirty primer pockets getting a new primer shoved up there is like wearing the same underwear but just changing your pants. Looks fine on the outside but...

So dirty primer pockets means I need to clean, decap, then clean again. When you decap it also sizes so the only other steps are to flare, prime, powder and seat. Progressive might speed it up a little but not enough for me to upgrade my Rock Chucker yet.

DaFadda
04-15-2017, 08:45 PM
And I'll add probably the most informative discussion I've read yet.... Here Ya go! Its a Dillon Lee Hornady comparison... from someone who owns and likes each one...

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

sdmc530
04-15-2017, 10:17 PM
I just skimmed it but will wait to read on a full screen on Monday. Looks interesting