PDA

View Full Version : From a Rock to a Diamond!

dboy225
04-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm in the fun but exhausting process of upgrading my RIA Tactical .45 Hi-Cap (1911A2-FS).

There are a few differences/similarities between the A1 and A2 styles. The A2 uses the Trigger, Mags, and Sear Spring of the Para P14. Then there's the A2's Mainspring, which can swapped for either a P14 or an A1 Mainspring. To make things more interesting, some A2 parts are only compatible with the A1 frame..such as the Barrel, Sear/Discon./Hammer, and the Barrel Bushing. :what:

Gotta love a Hi-Cap! :D ..With all that in mind, I'd like to hear what yall have done to turn your Rocks into diamonds!! Within the terms of the Warranty of course!

(*Photoshopped this pic :p to show what my Rock will look like once fitted with my new VZ P14 grips*)
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f9c2fe-6222-2d36.jpg

Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe on the way (P14 style).. and tritium green front sight with orange rear tritium. But what I'm most interested in is regarding reliability and functionality. I want it to eat every hollow point under the sun..and run without a hiccup 24/7/365. Most mods like this can void the warranty, so I wanted to see what others have done to enhance their 1911 without losing that great warranty.

Any and all feedback is appreciated and will be rewarded with cookies :p

♤Sent via Xparent Tapatalk for Android♤

NAMVET72
04-03-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't own any Rock Hi_caps, but do own 3 Rocks. And IMHO they are a good Gun to make your own....... Talk to Miss Rock or East Coast Rock pusher Auto Mag....................

Clyde

dboy225
04-03-2012, 05:30 PM
You know it!...waiting on him to see this thread :p

AutoMag
04-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Looking great Dan!!!:)

Keep us posted on your mods!!:)

Riverpigusmc
04-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Looking great Dan!!!:)

Keep us posted on your mods!!:)

Can I call you Miss Rock now?:confused:

Dave Waits
04-03-2012, 09:00 PM
dboy, easiest way is to send it to Arnel for a tune-up which doesn't void the warranty and afterwards it'll feed Buick Electras if you want it too.

dboy225
04-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks guys..I've been hearing that's probably the best option. Will they fit parts that I've ordered from other places? Or do you have to choose from what they have in stock? I'm pretty picky

AutoMag
04-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Dan, Arnel will use the parts you send if you like or he can fit parts he has there. He is a master gunsmith and can work magic on a 1911.:)

Give him a call, 1-775-537-1444.

The shop closes for the week of Easter (this week) so you may or may not get an answer.

Mike45
04-04-2012, 08:45 AM
The warranty issue goes away if you send it to Arnel. I can tell you he does top notch work. You will have to send the gun off to someone to have it refinished as Rock Island does not have the facilities to it.

As far as parts any of the majors out there make parts for the hi cap. The only exception is the trigger, you will have to find a a para or a springfiled. Do not use a fusion as they sell triggers that only fit the STI 2011 and they will not fit the Rock, don't ask how I know. :rolleyes:

I also use S&A meg wells on mine as I love the them. I like the way the even out the bottom of the gun/mag.

Grips are also problematic as RIA offset's the grip screw bushings just a fraction so some grips fit and others don't.

Good luck on your build.

Mike

AutoMag
04-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Dan, Mike has had Arnel build a few for him so he knows what he is talking about!!:)

And Mike is also correct on any mods made by Arnel will keep the warranty intact whereas it might be void if done by someone else.

Mike, show Dan some of Arnels work!!

Mike45
04-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Here are some of the guns that Arnel has built for me:

Regular longslide:

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss90/1976_07_26/LSCOMP1-1.jpg

Hi Cap Longslide:

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss90/1976_07_26/LSCOMPHC1-1.jpg

Charles Daly he made from scrap parts, I gave this to my son:

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss90/1976_07_26/CD/CDNewSights2.jpg

A midsize bobtail, I also gave my son this one:

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss90/1976_07_26/Mid%20Size/BobtailMS2.jpg

A compact that was converted to a cco, there is a real long story on this gun but the short of it is that a local smith screwed this gun and it no longer exist, none the less Arnel did build it. What was left of the gun I gave to my son.

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss90/1976_07_26/RIA%20CS%204in/2ndPark1.jpg

dboy225
04-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Wow awesome! He really does some fine work..only did you recieve the RIA lifetime warranty on the pistols he basically 'threw together'? And can you supply your own aftermarket parts, or must you choose from whatever he's got? Not opposed to a Frankenpistol either :D but doubt it'd come with a manufacturer warranty.

That bobtail was nice too..that's a frame thing right? Would I (or should I say he) be able to convert mine to a bobtail easily?? How far are they willing to go, within the parameters of the warranty?

Thanks as always!

Mike45
04-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Wow awesome! He really does some fine work..only did you recieve the RIA lifetime warranty on the pistols he basically 'threw together'? And can you supply your own aftermarket parts, or must you choose from whatever he's got? Not opposed to a Frankenpistol either :D but doubt it'd come with a manufacturer warranty.

That bobtail was nice too..that's a frame thing right? Would I (or should I say he) be able to convert mine to a bobtail easily?? How far are they willing to go, within the parameters of the warranty?

Thanks as always!

You have to supply your own parts, Arnel will put them on the gun. If not then he will use stock parts for any conversions.

If you want a bobtail you would have to supply the bobtail jig and the parts.

It is not difficult for Arnel to do just about anything that you want. The only thing he can't do is any milling such as converting GI sights to Tactical sights. If it can be done with a file he can do it, including hand checkering of front straps.

I would not worry about warranty as Rock Island will cover anything they do to the gun.

dboy225
04-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks Mike.. hearing all that from someone who's sent their pistols to RIA for smithing really makes me feel better. You da man! Guess the next step is gettin on the same page with someone at RIA. Thank God we all know they're Service is top-notch! :cool:

Mike45
04-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks Mike.. hearing all that from someone who's sent their pistols to RIA for smithing really makes me feel better. You da man! Guess the next step is gettin on the same page with someone at RIA. Thank God we all know they're Service is top-notch! :cool:

Call Arnel on Monday, as they are closed this week, at (775) 537-1444.

Lane
04-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I gave this to my son

Umm are you interested in adopting a slightly used old man?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

dboy225
04-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Call Arnel on Monday, as they are closed this week, at (775) 537-1444.

Ahhh the mystery unfolds.. :eek:
..Monday it is.

AutoMag
04-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Dan, Ivan is the only one there this week and he is mostly out on ammo deliveries so not in the warehouse.

Ammo sales have been up lately, I wonder why!!!!:D

Mike45
04-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Umm are you interested in adopting a slightly used old man?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

For a lifetime supply of my own leather, maybe :D

I was making room in my gun cabinet and figured that he was going to get the stuff anyway so I just gave it to him a little early.