PDA

View Full Version : 4" Blued Colt Trooper Mk III

Dred
04-03-2012, 08:24 PM
My father has offered me this wheel gun. I decided to borrow it for some way back machine range time.

Imagine my concern to learn that he ain't never cleaned this beauty. He had it loaded with 6 rounds of 357 Mag, but the wheel release was frozen and good.

All seems well now that I've disassembled, cleaned and lubed all the bits, reassembled and function checked. Fascinating action!

Any warnings b4 I make it loud?

AutoMag
04-03-2012, 08:31 PM
It looks good Dred!!:)

If you cleaned it well and it is working fine now you should be good to go!!:)

MajO
04-03-2012, 09:04 PM
It will be interesting to hear how your range time goes with the Trooper. I have heard very good things about the lock up and actions. Good luck and good shooting.

Dred
04-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Well, shot it this afternoon. I learned that POA and POI don't correlate for me in DA shooting. I really believe the DA trigger pull would peg your average guage. I put it in my wifes hand and confirmed that she doesn't have the strength.

Then there's SA. Every bit a fine trigger and a very decent shooter. I have a couple pics to put up from the phone, but I can tell you up front, the flyers were me banging my head up against a brick DA trigger.

Pops will be happy; I'm returning it in a nice padded bulldog case that whispered to me as I was leaving the range with a Colt wrapped in a Balaclava in the range bag.

The lesson learned today is that it is faster to release my grip and thumb cock the hammer, regrip and fire single action than it is to summon the concentration genie that helped me bring convergence to POA and POI on the last round in the wheel. I moved back to SA firing and enjoyed the rest of the ammo. I shot 50 .38 Special and 6 .357 Magnums. The .357s were impressive.

http://img.tapatalk.com/62c43f20-5add-40c2.jpg

Shots on the 1 star were SA. The 2 star was POA for DA trials. The 3 star was .357 Magnum.

Looks like some sight adjustment would be in order, but this range doesn't allow Magnum firing. I did get special permission b4 I fired one wheel of Magnums. My pops keeps it loaded with Magnums, so I left the sights as he had them.

Great fun!

Zilmo
04-05-2012, 11:29 PM
What a lovely pistol.

JohnnyMoses
04-06-2012, 02:32 PM
I think my first handgun was a Trooper MKIII. KSP officer sold it to Dad at the local coffee spot when they got new guns. Lots of fond memories. I'd save up the cash for a box of magnums because I didn't know I could shoot specials in it. Didn't know about ear/eye protection either.:rolleyes:
DA trigger pull should be pretty sweet IMHO.
Great looking gun!

Snipersnest
04-06-2012, 02:36 PM
I like the Colt's Royal Blue they used on the Python.