PDA

View Full Version : S&W Pre-lock vs. Lock

Jdl2
04-03-2012, 09:15 PM
I have a growing interest in buying a revolver and seem most focused on a S&W 686 or 625. Can you help me understand how concerned I need to be about this pre-lock issue? Is the lock a good thing or a problematic addition?
Thanks,
Jim

NAMVET72
04-03-2012, 09:23 PM
I don't know anything about the Locked version but I do have a S&W Model 19 Combat Master, it is Really Fine Gun and shoots really well.

It is a Pre-Lock............. Some people like the locked version.

Clyde

Grizzman
04-03-2012, 10:33 PM
It has been documented multiple times that the lock can be engaged from the recoil of the revolver, therefore turning it into a club.

I've had my 629 for somewhere around seven years, and lost count long ago of the number of full power loads I've put through it without a hicup. I bought it used, and have no idea how hard the previous owner ran it.

I don't like the idea of locks on any firearms, especially when they're the result of the government, whether it's on a S&W or a Remington 700.

I thoroughly enjoy my Model 19s and no dash 586, and they will be with me for the long haul.....something I can't say about the 629.

I've been looking for a 25-2 at pawn shops and gun shows for a while, and will likely just end up getting one from Gunbroker or Gunsamerica. The warranty is the only reason I can think of to get a new Smith, and that is far eclipsed by the quality of 70s to early 80s Smiths.

Grizz