PDA

View Full Version : Need some experienced advice

Jdl2
04-04-2012, 11:53 AM
If you have the time pls check out this link. In the revolver world are these two desirable for home defense and target shooting? What questions should i ask? And which, if either, would you find more preferable? And why? Thanks for your time and interest in helping.
Jim

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/203963-357-magnums-sale-trade.html#post136443776

MajO
04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
If you have the time pls check out this link. In the revolver world are these two desirable for home defense and target shooting? What questions should i ask? And which, if either, would you find more preferable? And why? Thanks for your time and interest in helping.
Jim

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/203963-357-magnums-sale-trade.html#post136443776

Jim,

This site requires that you register to access the information. :rolleyes:

Jdl2
04-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Thx Joe. Looks like he's been trying to sell both since early August 2011 which gives me enough concern to pass. Appreciate yuo trying to help.
Jim

onegun
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I imagine either of those would work for home defense/target shooting. However, the 686 appears to be priced quite high. I think you could beat that. I have no knowledge of the DW value.

MajO
04-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I imagine either of those would work for home defense/target shooting. However, the 686 appears to be priced quite high. I think you could beat that. I have no knowledge of the DW value.

As I couldn't access the site, I didn't know which model were in consideration. My wife has a S&W 686 that she loves and shoots very well. It is a well made, heavy pistol, that you can shoot all day.

Jdl2
04-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Based upon a few pics the guy has I would not buy the DW and I think you're right on about 686 pricing. Can buy a new one for $100 more and eliminate any concern. However, I heard a few comments about pre-lock Smiths being more preferable.

Would you buy new? Are you concerned about the lock on new models? If bought new is there a solution to any lock concerns?

Appreciate the input from you guys very much. Thanks.

Jim

onegun
04-05-2012, 12:04 AM
You can usually find 686s fairly easy and a very good condition pre-lock version runs about $100-150 less than that here. If you wanted new I wouldn't be real concerned about the IL. I don't like them because they just look tacky but it can be removed and the hole filled with "the Plug" which can be bought via the S&W forum classifieds. That makes it look not quite so bad and removes any worry about it locking itself up.

Grizzman
04-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Either one of them would suit your needs adequately.

The 686 is indeed priced $100 or more too high. One thing to ask on them is the revision of the gun, as changes have been implemented over the years. Depending on condition, the DW could be reasonably priced.

I personally prefer the Model 19 in a 6" target model. The full barrel underlug of 586 and 686 throws the guns balance off a bit (to me, at least). A 4" model is more appropriate for home defense, and they can work just fine at the range.

Grizz