PDA

View Full Version : TRP Range report

alazgr8
04-05-2012, 03:35 AM
Hi All,

I have had my TRP (Tactical Response Pistol)for about 2 years, and I thought I'd do a write up about it.

First off, it's a full size/5" Springfield Armory 1911. It's a TRP Operator with mid-length light rail, adjustable sights, Armory Coat, bull barrel, full length guide rod, ambi-safety, 20LPI checkering on the front strap and 30 LPI on the back, forward cocking serrations, and mag well. Because it has a bull barrel, there is no barrel bushing. Having no bushing adds a small degree of complexity to removing the barrel from the slide, however after doing it once, it's a snap.

The SA TRP's 1911's are considered the best production SA's that don't come out of the SA custom shop, which really means it has all the features SA offers. That also means there is very little or no hand fitting, as opposed to the extensive hand fitting that is applied to the guns that comes out of the custom shop. Some people don't know this, but the frame and slide on the most inexpensive SA is exactly the same as the finest most expensive custom shop model.

How does it perform? I will say this... my TRP is the most accurate 1911 I have ever shot, it make's me a better shooter. If I do my part, firing freehand, I can put 5-8 rounds, in a 2" group at 20 yards at the indoor range. If I attach my Streamlight TLR-2 light/laser, I can shoot a one hole clover leaf at the same yardage. Because of the bull barrel, light rail, and mag well, it's a heavy gun, however the forward weight serves to minimize recoil very well.

I should mention that I don't buy expensive ammo. I usually shoot Winchester Western white box, or Federal I get at the gunshow, or Walmart, so take it for what it's worth.

For magazines I have a couple of Wilson 47D 8rd magazines. I have had great luck with Chip McCormick 8rd regular, and Power Mags, as well as a few Chip McCormick 10 rd mags, and all have functioned perfectly. Because I am partial to CMC mags I gave away the two SA magazines that came with my gun. The gun also came with a mag holder and a holster. They were kinda junky compared to the Bladetech items I ordered, so I never used them.

In the two years I have had my TRP, it has functioned flawlessly. It handles WW WB, Federal, Wolf, PMC and anything I have thrown at it. I haven't tried the high dollar self defense loads but I have no doubt it would handle that as well.

If you can deal with the weight, and the price, it's a great 1911. SA customer service is legendary in the shooting world. You can buy the most inexpensive SA 1911 and send it back to SA custom shop and they will upgrade it to the equivalent of their best custom shop gun minus the rollmark.

Regards,

Rick

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/alazg8/TRP777.jpg

AutoMag
04-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Great report Rick!!:)

Nice looking Springfield.:)

Mike45
04-05-2012, 11:08 AM
I love TRP's and your operator is looking very good :rock:

I had the chance to pick up one like yours but purchased my CCO insted.

Not regreting it but still Jonesing for the TRP.

Good report.

alazgr8
04-05-2012, 12:11 PM
@ Mike 45,

I've been wanting a Les Baer, or Wilson, but my TRP shoots so well I am having a hard time justifying or rationalizing spending the money on a premium 1911. SA also made a full length light rail TRP which they discontinued a few years ago. If I ever see one of those I will buy it.

Regards,

Rick