PDA

View Full Version : Crosbreed SuperTuck

Grizzman
04-05-2012, 03:10 PM
I haven't had an IWB holster for a full sized 1911, so I decided to order a SuperTuck, and it was delivered today.

I plan to use it with both my Valor and CCO. My immediate impression is that it is indeed a very comfortable holster. I had my CCO in it for about half an hour, then slipped in the Valor. Ya, this should work out just fine.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of Kydex, but I'll see how it works out.

I'll try to post pics later today, but it may not happen till after the weekend.

Grizz

DaFadda
04-05-2012, 03:42 PM
I'll speak from experience Grizz. I own three, cowhide backing. 9mm Gl**k, OWB 1911 and IWB 1911. While I am absolutely sure the 1911 one will be replaced by the beautiful work that Lane is doing for me, I can assure you this:

If you think it comfortable now, wait until the leather molds to your body. It will take about a month of daily wear, your body heat and sweat wll do the molding. My Crossbreed now fits in exactly one place at 3:30 oclock position. This is the first IWB holster I've ever had that I literally do not feel throughout the day.I forget I'm wearing it. My new DW CCO needs leather though... and Lane is "da Man!" for leather work. I'll allow my Sig or the SA to wear the kydex going forward.

On the kydex note. I HAVE allowed the DW in the crossbreed, and there is no visible wear on the firearm. Keep the kydex clean, the gun oiled, and you should have no problems. I also found that wearing a pair of Perry suspenders that hook to your belt (no metal clips) help to keep the gunside of your pants at the proper position.

Good luck with your new holster!

One Well Used and very comfortable Crossbreed. The dye is NOT wearing off, its just the way the flash caught the marks in the leather. It's still one solid color.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/DaFadda/P1020581.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/DaFadda/P1020580.jpg

Lane
04-05-2012, 04:00 PM
I have a Crossbreed for my Springfield XDm - and I love it. As mentioned above, as you wear it, it gets better. When I invested in my first Dan Wesson, I couldn't bear the thoughts of Kydex on my pistol (and it's probably not a real worry) - and that started what's turned into a pretty fun hobby/business for me. In fact, the very first holster I made, I pretty much copied my Crossbreed for a pattern.

They make a great product and have GREAT customer service.

Lane

Grizzman
04-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Here's a short update. I've worn the Supertuck a few more days, and it seems to be taking shape nicely.

The retention at the front of the trigger guard seemed a little excessive, so I heated it up with my heat gun and reduced it some. It now slides in and out very smoothly, yet isn't going to come out unless I want it to.

I also added one notch worth of forward cant. I do like the option of easily adjusting the ride height and cant to suit my preferences.

While walking around a quiet department store a few nights ago, I did notice that it's not exactly a silent holster. It's unlikely that a typical person would notice it, and I doubt that they'd have any idea what was causing it.

I wore my VM2 a couple days ago to compare the two, and in the comfort department, the Supertuck wins hands down. The VM2 is quieter, just as easily concealed, gentler on the firearm, and much more finely crafted.

I think my future Rock will be very happy riding in the Crossbreed, while my CCO is used primarily in the Milt Sparks.

Overall I'm very happy with the Supertuck,and the comfort more than makes up for the few weaknesses.

One of my cats must be ready for me to load up some ammo....she's tearing up the shipping box the Speer Gold Dots arrived in.

Grizz

Spodeley
04-20-2012, 06:55 PM
I think my future Rock will be very happy riding in the Crossbreed, while my CCO is used primarily in the Milt Sparks.
I'm not somewhere I can carry concealed anyhow.
I got a Comp-Tac for my P245 that seems appropriate for that little feller...
But for the Kobra Carry (and class tomorrow) I've got an OWB Galco "Fletch" - the idea of Kydex on stainless is just disturbing.

I've heard a lot of good things about the VM2 - and for the old 1943 GI Colt I have a barely-used Summer Special that I got from a friend for a good price...but...it seems bulky on my skinny ass. Is there something I SHOULDN'T do???

Grizzman
04-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Holster fit is very individual. What works for some is completely uncomfortable to others.

It sounds like you shouldn't go on a diet.

Grizz

SteveKoz
04-22-2012, 08:40 AM
I've been leaning very hard towards the Maxtuck from White hat holsters. Looks like they copied the Crossbread but used plain belt clips. The crosses on the clips draws attention to something I'm trying to hide. I haven't found one review or video that hasn't said the crossbread was the most comfortable holster. I'm guessing it's mainly because it's spread out so far and distributes the weight? If so wonder why others haven't copied the design and replaced the kydex with leather.

DaFadda
04-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Uhhhh..... SteveKoz..... someone has. Go to our own Lane's website. Make life easy.... here's the url for ya. The Cotep Deacon is what you are looking for.... the commander also. Lane can do it with plain clips. That's what he's building for me as we speak.

http://www.lascoleather.com/IWB-Concealment-Holsters_c2.htm

DaFadda

SteveKoz
04-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the link. Can you tell me if the clips are adjustable? My one concern which has been my biggest concern with leather holsters is the stiffness at the muzzle end of the holster. The one I have now pokes me in the arse and that's not something I'm fond of. The Crossbread and Maxtuck have a flat flap that separates the gun from your body which I would suspect would feel more comfortable..? This holster seems to be about as close to the crossbread and its in leather but not what I pictured in my mind... Not sure if what I had in mind can even be made and still be supportive. I think if Garrett Industries would get together with White Hat and make a Maxtuck with a leather lined Kydex they would have a winner.

Quick Draw
04-26-2012, 10:54 PM
:D Have a horsehide Crossbreed Supertuck and like it except that like all IWB holsters I have to wear a larger size pants and belt with it.

It is very comfortable though. Also have matching Crossbreed gunbelt and like it too.

Have a Don Hume 721 O.T. OWB on order for a change up and maybe at the range. Also have a Blackhawk Serpa but don't wear it much.

SteveKoz
04-27-2012, 08:21 AM
:D Have a horsehide Crossbreed Supertuck and like it except that like all IWB holsters I have to wear a larger size pants and belt with it.

It is very comfortable though. Also have matching Crossbreed gunbelt and like it too.

Have a Don Hume 721 O.T. OWB on order for a change up and maybe at the range. Also have a Blackhawk Serpa but don't wear it much.

I purchased two Don Hume holsters when I first thought about carrying. One IWB and one out. I got the H715-M T.B. and the H721. Both with the thumb break. I returned the H721 because it was just hanging off my body and bouncing around. Something I knew I wasn't going to wear. Of course that's before I learned how important a gun belt is to the setup. Kicking my self for returning it or at least for not giving it a valid try. The H715 is the one that pokes me in the arse. That style holster isn't designed for comfort and with no cant adjustment it is what it is. Good in a pinch and easy to clip on but that's about it.

Quick Draw
04-27-2012, 02:07 PM
I purchased two Don Hume holsters when I first thought about carrying. One IWB and one out. I got the H715-M T.B. and the H721. Both with the thumb break. I returned the H721 because it was just hanging off my body and bouncing around. Something I knew I wasn't going to wear. Of course that's before I learned how important a gun belt is to the setup. Kicking my self for returning it or at least for not giving it a valid try. The H715 is the one that pokes me in the arse. That style holster isn't designed for comfort and with no cant adjustment it is what it is. Good in a pinch and easy to clip on but that's about it.

My Crossbreed Supertuck has the large protective backing which isolates the gun from direct contact with your body.

The Don Hume 721 O.T. also has a piece of leather which appears to offer some protection in the same area. I did not want a thumb break but did want the leather between the slide and my body which led me to choose this model.

I guess having only 5" barrel 1911s makes this feature more appealing to me.

Probably have about another month to wait on my backorder for the 721.

bartwatkins
04-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Have any of you heard of or tried a Theiss IWB holster (made by Tommy Theiss)? Just so you know, if you like or love a Crossbreed holster - you will love a Thiess. I just got one in horsehide for my DW Guardian. Excellent fit & retention is great. I wear it with an A&G Custom Gunleather belt.

This is basically the same holster/same exact build quality/same or better customer service - for significantly less cost than Crossbreed. Check them out!

SteveKoz
04-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Have any of you heard of or tried a Theiss IWB holster (made by Tommy Theiss)? Just so you know, if you like or love a Crossbreed holster - you will love a Thiess. I just got one in horsehide for my DW Guardian. Excellent fit & retention is great. I wear it with an A&G Custom Gunleather belt.

This is basically the same holster/same exact build quality/same or better customer service - for significantly less cost than Crossbreed. Check them out!

Looks pretty good and a few bucks cheaper. Seems several places are copying the same basic design. Still don't know why more don't offer leather lined kydex ones. Fill a new nitch in the market... :D I spoke to White Hat today and asked about leather lined. She said they are talking about it but mag pouches are next on their list. Might do something in a few months.. I said, just my luck.. I'll buy one and then you'll offer them leather lined. She reminded me that the Maxtuck has the removable kydex so if they did come out with leather lined would just need to buy the lined kydex part. Still more money for the holster but does provide options.

GD2A
02-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Uhhhh..... SteveKoz..... someone has. Go to our own Lane's website. Make life easy.... here's the url for ya. The Cotep Deacon is what you are looking for.... the commander also. Lane can do it with plain clips. That's what he's building for me as we speak.

http://www.lascoleather.com/IWB-Concealment-Holsters_c2.htm

DaFadda

Is Lane still making holsters? I clicked on the link and it took me to a Go Daddy page.

sdmc530
02-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Lane does great work, padre is right...he is class act too!

GD2A
02-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Lane does great work, padre is right...he is class act too!

Thanks but this thread is from 2012 and the link to his website is a dead end. Do you or anyone reading this know if he's still in business - perhaps with a new website? Thank you kindly.

Riverpigusmc
02-19-2014, 01:49 PM
He had back problems..ain't seen Lane in a while

GD2A
02-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Thanks Pig!

Lonestar grips.
02-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Thanks but this thread is from 2012 and the link to his website is a dead end. Do you or anyone reading this know if he's still in business - perhaps with a new website? Thank you kindly.

he was on a few weeks ago, maybe send him a PM and he should get an email notification.

hope he's doing better.

GD2A
02-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks Zane but I actually just ordered a rig from one of your fellow Texans ... White Hat.

Now I'm just waiting for you to get your hands on some Tiger Stripe blanks so I can spend some more money in that fine Republic :D

Sheepdog
02-19-2014, 06:54 PM
I have both the Crossbreed and the Comp-Tac. I personally prefer the Comp-Tac because it is a full coverage holster not a slide type. The Comp-Tac is also higher quality. IMHO

GD2A
02-19-2014, 07:08 PM
I have both the Crossbreed and the Comp-Tac. I personally prefer the Comp-Tac because it is a full coverage holster not a slide type. The Comp-Tac is also higher quality. IMHO

Looking at the components and thickness of materials I tend to agree. I ended up going with White Hat so I'll report back in a month or so when it comes in. I struck me as being a higher quality CB variant for a good bit less.

TLE2
02-19-2014, 08:34 PM
It's all a matter of preference and body type with well made holsters. I prefer the MTAC, but have one that's giving me problems (maybe its the Mimber I filled it with; I'll try it with my VBOB once it comes in).

Sheepdog
02-20-2014, 12:17 AM
If you continue to have problems, call Gordon at Comp-Tac.

GD2A
03-01-2014, 06:26 PM
My White Hat holster just arrived today! That was less than two weeks - their quoted wait time was 3-4 weeks. Good stuff :)