PDA

View Full Version : LCR "Short" Range Report

Thedragonslayer
04-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Took my 87 year old Mother-in-law to shoot Saturday. She did very well from about 5 yards. I wouldnt want anyone to make her mad!!!:D Including me!:eek:

She has the base model of Ruger's LCR. I know some dont like Ruger, but the GP100 was the first handgun I ever owned and shot!

The ruger is VERY light weight. It is a 5 shot 38 special and is fitted well. The grips are very nice. Ruger designed them to absorb recoil. I was very glad about that!

One thing you notice is this aint a 500 round gun per day fun toy! She has a lot of pop! Though she didnt complain while shooting, Louise's shooting hand was pretty sore after around 25 rounds. The sights are a plowed rear with their standard front site. Actually i like them for aiming. It is fairly easy to acquire site picture.

I shot 50 rounds myself after Louise finished. I was very surprised how accurate it was from 7 yards. When taking my time the holes were pretty much were they were supposed to be. For a less than 2" berral it held on target very well in my opinion. Lousie never missed the center-mass 7 or greater rings. From 5 yards.

What I liked most about this gun was shooting very quickly from 7 yards. I had no trouble with the recoil when holding her a little tight. The sites would come right back on line VERY EASILY. I could put five in the head with no problem. Mind you I wasnt drawing smiley faces, but I can assure you "head is dead" was the order of the day!

The trigger! I have to say this double action only trigger was as smooth as anything my green horn hands have ever shot. It is very very smoth without any grinding or jerky feeling whatsoever. This has to be the best thing about this gun without a doubt. The second would be the grips to me.

Negatives were very few. Here is one that you should be aware of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0h3tz4pAF0&feature=player_detailpage

Please note I found this video several weeks before purchasing several of these guns for people I have worked with. I new those that i was getting it for would not be shooting +P ammo. So Im still hoping this isnt going to be an issue for the revolver long term.

The other negative was the the release was a little grindy feeling. That may work itself out in time. But it would need some work for speed loading.

So all in all I liked this gun very much! For the price I paid $365, it is a great bargain!

Sorry about no pics!!! Its not my gun so to speak, and my mother-in-law has it at her place! :D

CalWhit33
04-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Very nice I've been toying with the idea to pick one up to compare with my 642. I like rugers and at that price would pick one up. While not a fun gun did the Trigger and grips make a difference. As far as control and longevity of shooting in a session.

Thedragonslayer
04-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Very nice I've been toying with the idea to pick one up to compare with my 642. I like rugers and at that price would pick one up. While not a fun gun did the Trigger and grips make a difference. As far as control and longevity of shooting in a session.

Calvin I do not shoot revolvers a lot, so others may give a better perspective on this. I thought they did help. In fact I thought the grips made it more comfortable to shoot. This gun weighs 13.5 ounces and has a 1.88" barrel which does pack a lot of punch to the bck of the hand.

Also it seemed the grips help push the sites back down (Not sure thats the way to say it) on target faster to me. When shooting a little quicker, It was very easy to reacquire a site picture. The grips are made by Hogue.

The cost of the revolver was right at $400 OTD. At home thay are $25 to $50more. The airweights are usually a little higher in the gun stores but you can get those on line a little cheaper.

The reason Ive purchased a few of these is strictly because of the light trigger pull. These ladies have arthritis in their hands and we have spent a good deal of time trying different revolvers in DA hammerless, and the ruger was their choice everytime. These ladies have NO experience shooting. So its strictly can they pull the trigger one handed.

douglas_knott
04-25-2011, 12:41 PM
very cool you are able to get her out and shoot. thanks for sharing Noel

orrwdd
04-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Even better that she OWNS HER OWN GUN. Congrats to her and to you for taking her to the range.

Bill

Hoss in IL
04-25-2011, 07:01 PM
TDS, my dad is remanded to shooting revolvers due to bad Arthritis in his hands and not being able to manipulate a semi-auto very well. He bought an LCR about a year and a half ago. He really likes it. I like it too, it's easy to clean! No, it's not a "two boxes of +P ammo in one setting" gun but with standard ammo it's not a problem to control. I was also surprised by how accurate it is.

Thedragonslayer
04-25-2011, 09:33 PM
TDS, my dad is remanded to shooting revolvers due to bad Arthritis in his hands and not being able to manipulate a semi-auto very well. He bought an LCR about a year and a half ago. He really likes it. I like it too, it's easy to clean! No, it's not a "two boxes of +P ammo in one setting" gun but with standard ammo it's not a problem to control. I was also surprised by how accurate it is.

Hoss I was thinking about the picture of Hoss Cartwright! And now I see you gotter done! Thanks for the responses guys.

Hoss in IL
04-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah, they don't make TV like they used to.