PDA

View Full Version : Are They Kidding Me????

Roverron
04-13-2012, 07:09 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) — New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg launched a national campaign against gun laws that he said "justify civilian gun play."

Bloomberg was joined by the leaders from the NAACP, National Urban League and other groups Wednesday at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., as he announced "Second Chance on Shoot First."

The campaign aims to repeal or reform the laws that eliminated a person's duty to retreat when threatened with serious bodily harm or death. These laws have passed in 25 states.

Bloomberg said these laws undermine the integrity of the justice system, threaten public safety and make it more difficult to prosecute shooters.

The grassroots campaign will contact state legislators who have passed what he terms "shoot first" laws, produce education material for the public and create model legislation.

"The tragic death of Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Fla., touched a nerve all across this country," Bloomberg said. "I believe we all have a responsibility to investigate the meaning of this terrible event for our nation and then to take action."

Bloomberg said neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who shot Martin, should have never had a gun with his history of violence. He said New York and other states would not have allowed him to carry a gun.

With the recent announcement that Zimmerman will be charged in the shooting, Bloomberg simply said, "Let justice be served."

"I'm told the prosecutor is a woman with a lot of experience and I'm sure she'll look at this and decide what actions are appropriate, but I'll leave it to her," he said.

Bloomberg said his campaign to change the laws is not undermined by the recent charges brought against Zimmerman.

"I'm trying to protect people across this country," he said. "I go to states with Stand Your Ground laws. My daughters go to states with Stand Your Ground laws. This is a part of America and I think these kinds of laws that lead to vigilantism are just not appropriate."

Florida's Stand Your Ground law is central to the Martin shooting since Zimmerman has claimed self-defense.

Benjamin Crump, the attorney for Martin's parents, said they have no objection to the amended statutes being named the Trayvon Martin Law.

"We have to have this Trayvon Martin Law become the law of the land," Crump said in an interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday. "That says if you are the aggressor, if you are engaged in confrontation, you can't then say 'oh, I killed the person but I'm going to stand my ground.' That can't be part of the law. The police have got to be able to arrest people who kill unarmed people. We're not the wild, wild West. We can't let that message go forth to the world. I think that's a big part of the legacy."

Martin's father said naming the amended law after his son would be a big step in the direction of justice for "millions of Trayvons."

"It's sad that we have to try to get an amended law in our son's name just to get simple justice," Martin said in an interview with the AP. "We feel we shouldn't have had to go through these great lengths to get justice for our family. A lot of people applaud us for what we're doing, but we feel the things that we're doing is what any loving and caring parent would do for their child."

Jdl2
04-13-2012, 07:37 AM
This gives you just a hint of what it's like to live here in NYS where handguns are illegal in NYC:confused:. Who, in their right mind, would go into The Big Apple withou packing? Bloomberg has loads of clout. Can you hear the footsteps? They're getting louder. Our best shot ever has to be delivered this November.
J

Roverron
04-13-2012, 08:26 AM
OMG!, Jim, what a jungle! when are they going to wake up and kick this azzclown out of office?
Ron

Jdl2
04-13-2012, 08:52 AM
They're disappointed he's not making a run at the Presidency, Ron.

Lane
04-13-2012, 09:42 AM
This idiot is unbelievable. I find it hard to imagine he'd rather have his wife or daughter raped rather than defend herself. Oh wait, she probably has armed security, right?

This bozo has been trying to make trouble in Utah, ever since we got our hard earned 0 in the Brady Campaign rankings on gun control (which, BTW, was a proud moment for us. We are now shooting for a -4, since they've added some negative categories...)

If Obama get re-elected in November, you can bet that his attack on gun ownership will be ratcheted up to 11. We've got to get rid of (vote out) these idiots.

Lane

Jdl2
04-13-2012, 09:52 AM
I'll second that motion! Can we call for a vote now? nanner
J

capt7d103
04-13-2012, 10:45 AM
I wish Mayor Mikey would keep his legislative agenda limited to the Loonasy Islands, aka the 5 boroughs of NYC.

Jdl2
04-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Ray,
As you well know, the only thing that matters in this state is what the city slickers want. We rural folks say :bs:
To no avail.
Jim

Snipersnest
04-13-2012, 12:06 PM
They're gonna play on that Florida incident all over the country. They're trying Zimmerman in the media. How is this guy gonna get a fair trial with all the blather that's on TV and in the papers? I think it was CBS that finally admitted that they doctor'd the 911 tapes from Zimmerman, but you don't hear or see much about it. They posted his photo wearing an orange jail jumpsuit from several years ago. They posted photos of the alledged victim from when he was about 12 or 13 with that oh so innocent smile. This case should have gone before the Grand Jury instead of the DA bringing charges. And Justice For All!

Jdl2
04-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Having lived in Florida for nearly 35 years and then settling in Central NY a few years ago I feel like I've left the Country!

Big Smoke
04-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Didn't he decide when his terms were up, that he going to stay as mayor because, "in this time of crisis, the city needs me" or something to that effect? I forget the exact circumstance, but he definitely has an extremely high opinion of himself. Maybe he's Obama's white brother.

Roverron
04-13-2012, 01:03 PM
I surely don't see how he gets a fair trial, at least not there in Florida. I'm not saying he's innocent or guilty but he is entitled to a fair trial. Here, SYG law is working! The police can't be everywhere so it's up to us to protect our families. Lane, +10 on what you said. . . It Is Time to vote ALL the idiots out. Term Limits still comes to mind as the best way to handle this issue, unfortunately, the only way that will occur is if initiative petitions were done from every state!

Big Smoke
04-13-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't even see how the SYG law applies in the Zimmerman case. He was attacked, having his head bashed into the concrete repeatedly, and drew his gun in self-defense. Had he not done so, we may be talking about Trayvon Martin's murder trial.
As I understand it, the SYG law just means you don't have to retreat and run from the perpetrator. Zimmerman didn't have a chance to run or retreat.

Riverpigusmc
04-13-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't even see how the SYG law applies in the Zimmerman case. He was attacked, having his head bashed into the concrete repeatedly, and drew his gun in self-defense. Had he not done so, we may be talking about Trayvon Martin's murder trial.
As I understand it, the SYG law just means you don't have to retreat and run from the perpetrator. Zimmerman didn't have a chance to run or retreat.

^this. Stand your ground does not apply. Self defense does.

capt7d103
04-13-2012, 10:12 PM
This case is a blatant example of the media wanting a bigger fire story to cover. I believe this was not presented to a grand jury because the special prosecutor knew dang well it would have been No Billed, settting off civil unrest nation wide. I'm sorry this young man lost his life. We may never know the whole truth in this case. Zimmerman never should have left his truck, IMHO. I still want to see the alchemy involved in turning a person of Mezito Indian ancestry into a person of European ancestry. Here in my area, no way on God's green earth is this a hate crime as the media would have you believe. This is the exact reason that I refused to ever speak to the media when I was in a position to do so. I hope anyone damaged in anyway, including George Zimmerman, sues the pants off all of them for the blatant lies and distortions. I find it comical that Martin's mother was on the Today Show saying it may have been an accident only to recant that a short time later on MSLSD into he murdered my boy. What???? :rolleyes:

Big Smoke
04-13-2012, 10:46 PM
This case is a blatant example of the media wanting a bigger fire story to cover. I believe this was not presented to a grand jury because the special prosecutor knew dang well it would have been No Billed, settting off civil unrest nation wide. I'm sorry this young man lost his life. We may never know the whole truth in this case. Zimmerman never should have left his truck, IMHO. I still want to see the alchemy involved in turning a person of Mezito Indian ancestry into a person of European ancestry. Here in my area, no way on God's green earth is this a hate crime as the media would have you believe. This is the exact reason that I refused to ever speak to the media when I was in a position to do so. I hope anyone damaged in anyway, including George Zimmerman, sues the pants off all of them for the blatant lies and distortions. I find it comical that Martin's mother was on the Today Show saying it may have been an accident only to recant that a short time later on MSLSD into he murdered my boy. What???? :rolleyes:
You can pretty much bet that MSLSD goaded her into calling it murder. Got her all worked up into believing it and saying it on TV. I won't give MSLSD any of my time. I slipped a few nights ago and turned on the Special Ed show. What a mistake that was. I saw almost 2 minutes of it, and couldn't stand it anymore. I won't slip again, I can tell you that.

I agree with you about the Grand Jury. But I also believe she believes he is innocent, and overcharged him on purpose. 2nd degree murder is going to be nearly impossible to prove. Especially with a bashed nose, bashed back of the head, and grass stains on the back of his clothes. They are going to have to prove that he went after him, and attacked him. Since the incident happened next to Zimmerman's truck, it stand to reason he was going back to his truck to leave when he, himself, was attacked.

capt7d103
04-14-2012, 10:09 AM
I agree with you about the Grand Jury. But I also believe she believes he is innocent, and overcharged him on purpose. 2nd degree murder is going to be nearly impossible to prove. Especially with a bashed nose, bashed back of the head, and grass stains on the back of his clothes. They are going to have to prove that he went after him, and attacked him. Since the incident happened next to Zimmerman's truck, it stand to reason he was going back to his truck to leave when he, himself, was attacked.

I was thinking the exact same thing, Murder 2nd, as written, does not fit. The way laws are different in the various states still amazes me. It would have already been before a Grand Jury here and they decide the ultimate charge(s).

I heard yesterday that a change in venue will result in a 6-12 month delay in the trial, how convenient for the politicos. Makes it look even more like federal meddling for a reason other than justice. It will help having time for things to settle down I believe was the phrase used. Right... :rolleyes:

This whole disaster should not have happened. It goes with what I used to teach the Members in class, once you break the primer there is NO taking it back and your life will be irrevocably changed from that split second forward. It is so true that you make this decision in milliseconds and the courts have years to examine it. Had Zimmerman never left his truck, this whole nightmare never happened and the 2nd Amend would not be being called into the lime light in such an injurious manner. This really does not help us, especially here in the PRNY. Mayor Mikey needs to limit his communist ideology to his own fifedom. Leave the rest of the state and country alone.