PDA

View Full Version : New colt gold cup SS

sdmc530
04-13-2012, 08:52 PM
I am so pumped...I was in Minnesota today at a Scheels, and they happen to have in stock a Cold Gold Cup in SS. For some reason anything Colt is very hard to find up here in SS. Blued not to hard but a SS next to impossible....anyways I was not in my home state so I had to purchase it and have it shipped to my home Scheels in SD. I can not wait to get home to get it. Question though, I could of sworn there was an extra spring in the case, why? My govt model didn't come with two springs why would this one? Anyways when get home I will get some pics online!! So pumped! :D:D:D:D

Rock185
04-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Hello sdm, is yours the new style with the BoMar type rear sight and round top? I have only handled one of those, but it was nicely fitted and finished with a decent ( not light, but clean) trigger pull. I have also handled a couple of the recent production blue Gold Cups. For some reason both the blue ones displayed a noticeably loose slide to frame fit, like a well used Govt. Model. Were I looking for a recent Gold Cup, I'd have bought the stainless, but would have been totally uninterested in the blue ones I handled. I have owned several Gold Cups, all '70 Series, except for the last, an '80 Series GC Trophy Match, but it has been a few years since the last. I still think they are handsome guns though.

ps, The long spring is for hardball, etc. loads, the short spring is for light target loads, like the factory 185 grain semi-wadcutter and similar ammo. The GCs used to just come with one spring. It was four coils shorter than the standard Govt. spring, but I hear they send both now...

sdmc530
04-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Hello sdm, is yours the new style with the BoMar type rear sight and round top? I have only handled one of those, but it was nicely fitted and finished with a decent ( not light, but clean) trigger pull. I have also handled a couple of the recent production blue Gold Cups. For some reason both the blue ones displayed a noticeably loose slide to frame fit, like a well used Govt. Model. Were I looking for a recent Gold Cup, I'd have bought the stainless, but would have been totally uninterested in the blue ones I handled. I have owned several Gold Cups, all '70 Series, except for the last, an '80 Series GC Trophy Match, but it has been a few years since the last. I still think they are handsome guns though.

ps, The long spring is for hardball, etc. loads, the short spring is for light target loads, like the factory 185 grain semi-wadcutter and similar ammo. The GCs used to just come with one spring. It was four coils shorter than the standard Govt. spring, but I hear they send both now...

Yep new style, I really like it. It just feels nice in the hand, very well put together I feel. I have it at home waiting for me to take to the range, work has me out of town all week BLAH....

Two Guns
04-30-2012, 11:39 PM
I have had my Stainless Gold Cup Trophy for about a year now. I is my carry gun. Mine was made in 2010. It is the most accurate pistol I own.

sdmc530
05-01-2012, 12:03 AM
I have had my Stainless Gold Cup Trophy for about a year now. I is my carry gun. Mine was made in 2010. It is the most accurate pistol I own.

I can not account for the accuracy of the gun, I have not shot it yet. Friday is going to be range day for me so I can shoot it finnally

Big Smoke
05-01-2012, 12:13 AM
I had a stainless Colt Gold Cup in the late 90's to mid 2000's. It has extra springs for different loads. One, I believe it is the green one, is a light spring more for reloads and swc's.

AutoMag
05-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Congrats on the new Colt Phil!!:)

jmlutz
05-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Congratulations:)

JimF4M1s
08-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Xxxxx

wxl
08-20-2012, 02:56 PM
My stainless Trophy w/ Bomar type sights is about 6 years old and has been trouble free. I believe the blue comes with an Eliason type sight.

sdmc530
08-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Do we get pictures after the range trip??

I have shot it once, then cleaned and put back in the safe I am ashamed to say. I will get a "official" range report ASAP.