PDA

View Full Version : MagHolder.com

Jdl2
04-15-2012, 02:56 PM
I have had the opportunity to use a new magaxine pouch which I won in a recent Karma provided by Mghwk, COTEP #453. Mark, owner of shop.MagHolder.com, makes a wonderful product which i would give the highest recommendation. The MagHolder is plastic and worn horizontally on your belt. It clips on your belt as easily as your cell phone case in fact empty my first impression was the appearance of carrying a phone. It is, without exception, the most comfortable mag pouch I have ever worn. Comfortable enough that it was easy to forget I was wearing it. The attachment to my 1.5" belt was effortless and solid. The lockup of the mag in the pouch is really neat. You slide the mag in so far and then it just catches or snaps in. Mark built mine for a single stack, 45 ACP, 1911 mag to be worn on my weak side with the mag to be insertered/ withdrawn from the rear. At 2 to 3 o'clock it conceals perfectly and yields the easiest, cleanest, fastest sweep of any magazine that I've ever experienced.

I'm in the process of ordering more from Mark and suggest you take a look for yourself. You'll be glad you did!
J

Mghwk
04-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks, Jim, for the generous comments.

I thought I'd mention a couple things you may have already figured out by using the MagHolder.

Retention is typically pretty close to design out of the package, but occasionally, a magazine manufacturer will be a few 1/1000 out of spec, either too wide or too narrow. For this reason, the retention may be tight, but will loosen to a consistent level after snapping the mag in and out of the holder a few times. The way this works is that the mag retention slot in the magazine abrades the plastic internally but this desirable effect stops once the pressure on the internal piece is reduced by wear. If a looser fit is desired, a quick spritz of rem oil or other equivalent light oil will help the magazine finish cutting the plastic after a few cycles. Testing to 10K or so cycles shows retention stays consistent after break in.

If the MagHolder encounters a magazine which is smaller than spec, try putting the holder on your belt, as the slight bending moment induced by the curvature of the belt tightens retention slightly.

Finally, retention requirements are significantly less than needed for a vertical magazine pouch because the unit is not subject to the same forces as encountered when the magazine is sticking out either above or below the belt line. In fact, i'm considering standardizing on .063 instead of the .097 stuff because it is proving to be even lighter, a bit more forgiving on retention, and plenty durable for the belt loop. Plus, they're easier to mold.

Anyway, I appreciate the review a great deal and I look forward to helping you out with any future needs. I have the tooling to most 380s, glock, XD, M&P, and all "standard" size 1911s. I hope to have EMP tooling soon, but no promises.

Thanks Again!

Mark