PDA

View Full Version : Classic POA left of center

alvinSF49
04-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Hi all!

I took my DW Classic to the range for the first time today and it was shooting tight groups left of center @ 7 yards. A friend and I took turns at it with 200 rounds of 230gr Blazer Brass ammo. We both were shooting fairly tight, just not on target.

After several magazines and some frustration starting to boil I started to aim an inch or so to the right of center @ 7 yards and the POI was dead on. I loaded a few more magazines and told my friend where my POA ("try aiming an inch to the right") was and told him to try it. He too was on target.

We came to the conclusion that it wasn't us and that the sights in this case the rear (I think) needed some adjustment.

Looking closer at the rear sights location, it's not centered, off to the left a bit. I think centering it would put me right on.

The gun is sporting the stock Trijicon sights H3 11. Anyone know the exact size of the set screw?

The set screw on the Classic looks rounded out (uh oh). I looked at my SA Operator sporting Trijicon's also and compared. On the Operator it's obvious that it is a hex set screw. I took my set of hex wrenches and tried a few on the Classic. Out of the hex sizes I have nothing fits tight enough to give it a turn.

Anyway, Is my diagnosis correct from the report at the range, and if anyone knows the exact size of the set screw?

RandallZ
04-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Yes, your diagnosis is correct. Although, after 400-500 rounds the barrel may settle in a bit and start shooting more to the right from where it hits now. As far as hex wrench size...I dunno how many 32nds or 64ths it is, but I do know it was exactly the size of the wrench included in the cases of my CBOB and PM7. :D Did you look to see if you got one, too? :)

Randall

alvinSF49
04-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Yes, your diagnosis is correct. Although, after 400-500 rounds the barrel may settle in a bit and start shooting more to the right from where it hits now. As far as hex wrench size...I dunno how many 32nds or 64ths it is, but I do know it was exactly the size of the wrench included in the cases of my CBOB and PM7. :D Did you look to see if you got one, too? :)

Randall

No hex wrench in mine. Just the bushing wrench & some oil, along with the papers & fired brass.

I plan to go to the range tomorrow and shoot from a rested position just to make sure It wasn't me having a really bad day.

I got a tip from someone at 1911forum to buy U.S. made hex wrenches and give it a try. The 1/16 wrench did the trick and got the set screw loose.

I'm awaiting a sight pusher that I got from a member at 1911forum.com It looks like it's built well & members that have one already said it works great. Check it out.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=361757&highlight=sight+pusher+tool

skosh69
04-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Hey buddy, give the bench rest shooting a go. Also, have you seen this?

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/shooterswheel.gif

Not saying that your sights may or may not be off, but I too have a tendancy to shoot to the left of center.

alvinSF49
04-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Hey Skosh

I took my gun to the range today after drifting the rear sight to the right using EPJ's sight pusher. Worked like a charm! It's centered now. I got to the range and set up my target at 7 yards loaded my mags and went for it. Problem fixed. My POA was pretty much where the POI was. I'm happier with the guns performance today, although not satisfied.

This happened next...

After 100 rounds down range I started to have the same problem again. My POI was off again to the left of center? I looked at the rear sight and it walked itself back to it's original position. It's noticeably to the left again. BTW I did tighten the set screw....any ideas guys?

Big Smoke
04-27-2012, 12:19 AM
If your sights are drifting off on their own, you may want to put a dab of locktite under the sight. That should hold it in place.

alvinSF49
04-27-2012, 12:31 AM
If your sights are drifting off on their own, you may want to put a dab of locktite under the sight. That should hold it in place.

I did plan to do that. I just wanted to make sure before hand that the rear sight was in a good spot before doing so. I didn't want to set myself up to wrestle it loose again if I needed to move the rear sight again.

Is this common by any chance?