PDA

View Full Version : Reloading screwup by yours truly

Dave Waits
07-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Well, went shooting today. took 150 rounds with me,an older box I reloaded about three weeks ago and two boxes I reloaded last week. Loaded the oldest box first and fired all fifty rounds with normal reliability and accuracy. Then opened the first of the two newer boxes of reloads. Loaded three mags, and shoved one up the chute. Fired the first round and got a FTRB. Slide stopped about a 1/4" shy of battery. Pushed it into battery with my thumb and fired again. Same result. WTF! Did it four out of the next ten rounds!

Hmmmm, Maybe the chamber is dirty. Tore it down, scrubbed it ,reassembled and loaded up another mag.Fired three rounds then on the fourth it FTRB'ed again. Double-WTF! Checked the gun out again, nothing amiss. That's when I finally noticed it, a loaded round laying on the bench that didn't look right. Picked it up and saw the problem, there was a blob of lead right on the casemouth impressed into the brass.

Checked about fifteen other rounds in the box, same thing. Damn! Knew right away what had happened, either the Expander die wasn't screwed in all the way or it had backed off. I load Bevelbase bullets so, nothing felt different but there sure was! The casemouths weren't Expanded(Belled) and as the seater sat the bullet it shaved lead off of the side and then the crimper smashed the lead into the brass. It was barely noticable but, it was enough to keep the gun from going into Battery. Spent the next hour at the range, sitting there with my Gerber, scratching lead blobs off of the cases. Reloaded the mags and shot, every round fired perfectly fine. Have to wait til next Sunday(Reloading Day) to check the Expander Die.

Always check your Dies before each operation.

Sheepdog
07-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Tell me it ain't so.

Dave Waits
07-01-2012, 10:55 PM
It's so.

skosh69
07-03-2012, 02:36 PM
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/thumbsup.gif For your honesty! Glad to hear you had no further issues.

DaFadda
07-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Man.... Ellison.... You had the perfect opportunity.... and you've let it slip by. +10 and a Beer to you for your gentleness and kindness.

DaFadda

skosh69
07-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Man.... Ellison.... You had the perfect opportunity.... and you've let it slip by. +10 and a Beer to you for your gentleness and kindness.

DaFadda

I didn't let it slip by....I chose to not go there. A rookie should never point fingers at the master, but should keep his eyes open and learn......

Until I've reloaded 1/1000th of the rounds Dave has loaded and learned what he has learned, will I even begin to think of talking trash!

Thank you for the compliment.....

DaFadda
07-04-2012, 06:56 AM
Wise man. 'nuff said!
Chucklin'
DaFadda

Thedragonslayer
07-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Well even the best can screw-up. Thats why I'd rather be lucky than good!!!:D:D:D:D

Glad it wasnt something more serious Dave.

Noel

Dave Waits
07-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Well, the Nut that holds the Expander in place on top of the Die was backed off. This caused the Expander itself to back off inside the Die. This was puzzling as I always tighten the depth-nut with a wrench when I set the Die. This time it also got a shot of Red Loc-tite. BTW, this is a new set of RCBS Tungston-Carbide Dies.

Quick Draw
09-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Had similar situation with bullet lube around mouth of case.

I always clean case mouth with very fine steel wool from the paint department of H.D. and do plunk test. Very good results since I started doing this.

COTEP CBOB 0638

DaFadda
09-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Hmmmm...... wait a minute.... DAVE! There's no pictures. This COULDN't Have happened! Ask anyone here. No pics? Didn't happen. I get told that all the time! lol...

+Michael

Sheepdog
09-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks for sharing this Dave. My grandfather used to tell me "Life is not long enough to make all the mistakes yourself." This may help someone avoid a bigger problem. The more we share our experiences the shorter the learning curve for us all.

NAMVET72
09-22-2012, 06:31 PM
That is why I bought a cheap set of Ignition wrenches to keep the Depriming Nut and Expender die tight......

Crap Happens just ask Ellison, he is the Head Master of Screw Ups :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: If that don't make you laugh just remember that he likes the Title: COTEP Squib King

Crap happens always check everything before you start reloading,

Clyde

skosh69
09-23-2012, 02:15 PM
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.........

fjweems3
01-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Not sure this qualifies as a screwup, but I reload for my TC Contender in 44 magnum. Moved some scopes around and changed bases on several barrels. Got the wrong screws on the 44 mag barrel, they were too sort to hold, but tightened up. After about 20-30 rounds, the Burris scope and steel base were launched into my forehead. Blood everywhere, but no real serious damage.

Was shooting with a teen age boy from church. Scared him badly. Still have the scar from that. Happened two years ago.

Grouse
01-12-2013, 10:06 AM
I can tell you with out any hesitation that a Valor can fire a 10mm out of its barrel, cycle it fully back, chamber a 45.

I cleared the pistol, broke it down. No obvious damage. Reloaded the loose round into the mag.

Fired it off no problem. fired the next and then another 10mm.

One of the range rats was looking at my 10mm ammo asking where i got it. I think he tossed it into my bag of 45 ammo. I am normally draconian about what ammo is up on the table for use. I did not realize he had mixed the two on me.

yeah yeah, not a reloading post. but hey i have some fire formed 10mm-45acp cases if anyone needs an example.

douglas_knott
01-12-2013, 11:39 AM
I can tell you with out any hesitation that a Valor can fire a 10mm out of its barrel, cycle it fully back, chamber a 45.

I cleared the pistol, broke it down. No obvious damage. Reloaded the loose round into the mag.

Fired it off no problem. fired the next and then another 10mm.

One of the range rats was looking at my 10mm ammo asking where i got it. I think he tossed it into my bag of 45 ammo. I am normally draconian about what ammo is up on the table for use. I did not realize he had mixed the two on me.

yeah yeah, not a reloading post. but hey i have some fire formed 10mm-45acp cases if anyone needs an example.

So can we call it a .400 Sig? Lol