PDA

View Full Version : New DW Valor has significant peening on slide -- How normal is this?

SiegeX
07-05-2012, 12:59 AM
I've put roughly 400 rounds through my month-old Valor and I noticed that both the slide stop and takedown notches show sign of peening, particularly the former. Fortunately, I don't see much of any wear on the slidestop lever as you can see. This is my first 1911 so I have nothing to compare it against.

Here are my questions:

Did I get a lemon or is this normal for Valor's?
Should I send it back to DW for warranty repair?
Should I be concerned about safety and/or functioning issues?

http://i.imgur.com/hWyzQ.png
http://i.imgur.com/s4If1.png
http://i.imgur.com/NPaIV.png
http://i.imgur.com/TpskT.png

DaFadda
07-05-2012, 03:20 PM
I had a small peening issue on my CCO that ended up being called "normal". You should send these pictures (which.. btw... are very very good) directly to Dan Wesson in NY for an opinion.

DaFadda

SiegeX
07-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. How much peening would you say I have in relation to your CCO's "normal" amount out of curiosity?

In either case, I just sent off an email with these pictures attached to [email protected]. I've heard great things about DW customer service, the name Keith keeps coming up, so I have high hopes I will be taken care of. This pistol is an absolute dream to shoot and it's everything I ever hoped my first 1911 would be (sans this problem of course.)

DaFadda
07-06-2012, 06:07 AM
your peening issue is more than mine.... I'd send DW the pictures.
DaFadda

aqualungs
01-19-2015, 07:22 AM
Hey guys I know this an old thread, but I'm wondering what became of the OPs Peening issue. I went to the range yesterday and when I came home I noticed the same issue on mine. I've about 600-700 rounds through it and I don't think it was like this last time I broke it down, or this much due to the metal shaving I found pushed to the front of the slide.

Should I contact DW or is this normal and wearing in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aqualungs
01-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Looks like problem solved. Glen Davis from Dan Wesson got back to me.
"Unfortunately you are going to have some peening going on in this area due to the slide stop. It is normal to see. Good thing is that it will not continue to get worst. You can use a fine stone or file to remove any high spots if you would like."

Is he talking about high spots on the slide? Does anyone recommend a WC slide stop. I read they have a detent that prevents this?

titanse05
01-19-2015, 10:41 AM
This is a non-issue. Changing the slide stop won't make it go away. This wear is typical of all 1911s with stainless steel slides.

The removal of high spots that the DW rep is referring to is any high spot that is created in the area can be removed by stoning or light filing.

Rick McC.
01-19-2015, 11:18 AM
This is a non-issue. Changing the slide stop won't make it go away. This wear is typical of all 1911s with stainless steel slides.

The removal of high spots that the DW rep is referring to is any high spot that is created in the area can be removed by stoning or light filing.

Uh; I don't think so.

Three of my 1911's have stainless slides, and none have any peening of the SS notches. The other four 1911's don't either.

The stainless slide ones are two Colts and one Kimber (I know).

I don't own any DW's though. Is there something different about the design of their slide stops that causes the peening?

aqualungs
01-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Here's where it becomes debate. I saw some info where it's normal and some stating not normal. DW is telling me it's normal and won't wear down anymore after this. I am thinking that if it wears down more they consider that abnormal. I wonder if there is so much room for Peening before it is considered a defect. If they are saying it's normal, I am just glad I don't need to send it in. I do plan on hard chroming this pistol this year and am not sure if I should wait longer or if I will benefit from the harder finish.

DrHenley
01-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Is there something different about the design of their slide stops that causes the peening?

May be...

From top to bottom: Colt, DW, Sig - all stainless steel. Not a hint of peening on the Colt and Sig slides. Granted the DW has a higher round count, but the Colt and Sig have both been through IDPA matches.

The DW has a carbon steel slide stop, and the others have stainless slide stops.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=928

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=888

aqualungs
01-19-2015, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I found this thread also where Keith from DW chimes in and says it's normal. The DW slide stop is carbon steel and harder than the SS slide.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=371997

I may be hard chroming this sooner or getting a WC slide stop that has a detent and can prevent further peening. although Glen from DW says there will be no further damage. I know titanse05 said a WC slide stope won't prevent peening, but I read different, that the detent in it prevents it. Anyone have experience with this?

brownie
01-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Uh; I don't think so.

Three of my 1911's have stainless slides, and none have any peening of the SS notches. The other four 1911's don't either.

The stainless slide ones are two Colts and one Kimber (I know).

I don't own any DW's though. Is there something different about the design of their slide stops that causes the peening?

This ^, I'd be concerned about it [ not function wise but that's NOT normal on s/s 1911 slides ]. I've never had a s/s slide do that in several makers model 1911's. I'd not accept it as "normal" no matter what DW said.

Sheepdog
01-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Nope, not right. Call Keith at Dan Wesson. Send him photos. Something is not working right. Take a look at the other side of the slide stop than what is showing in the photo. The place where it is causing the peening, it should have a slight angle to it.

aqualungs
01-20-2015, 09:32 AM
My only concern is Keith posted this on the thread I mentioned earlier on 1911forum on a valor with very similar Peening.

"This happens after the last round is fed into the chamber. The follower of the magazine forces the slide stop up to the bottom of the slide. When the gun is fired and the slide travels to the back the slide stop has no where to go but up. This in turn forces the slide stop to be pushed out of the notch's with the reward travel and then into the locked back position when the slide returns forward. The stainless slide is about 20 RC softer than the slide stop if memory serves me. Something has to give. In this case it is the slide. Almost all of the Stainless slides will do this. You will see it less on a Carbon 1911 because the slide is much harder. Basically the same as the slide stop.
The "damage" is purely aesthetics."

This is What Glen said when he saw the Pics. So I am torn on what to do. I don't want to keep shooting it and then they end up replacing the slide and I'm breaking in the pistol all over again.. $$$

Glen:

“Unfortunately you are going to have some peening going on in this area due to the slide stop. It is normal to see. Good thing is that it will not continue to get worst. You can use a fine stone or file to remove any high spots if you would like.”
I inquired on the WC slide stop which is supposed to impact the inside portion of the notch and/or Hard Chroming to fix or prevent any further peening (which I will point out he said should no longer peen in the comment above).
“It is OK to hard chrome your gun. It would void warranty of any finish issues on the gun though.
As for a different slide stop, unless there is a difference in design, there wouldn't be a difference.”

aqualungs
01-20-2015, 09:42 AM
I also don't want to start another year long war like I had with my Smith E-series after they damaged it doing repairs, and claimed they "are not resposible for any damage to firearms in their possesion." They didn't even fix the initial issue and the 4x it went back, it came back more damaged. After that they told me "they were only obligated to look at it, not fix it." I don't think DW operates like this, but I would think Keith knows his guns, unless there is an issue and they are only fixing what goes out of spec.

brownie
01-20-2015, 10:12 AM
I also don't want to start another year long war like I had with my Smith E-series after they damaged it doing repairs, and claimed they "are not resposible for any damage to firearms in their possesion." They didn't even fix the initial issue and the 4x it went back, it came back more damaged. After that they told me "they were only obligated to look at it, not fix it." I don't think DW operates like this, but I would think Keith knows his guns, unless there is an issue and they are only fixing what goes out of spec.

I wouldn't own it if they didn't fix it, PERIOD. I've had enough 1911's in s/s config to understand none of the former guns I owned ever exhibited that peening problem. If the slide stop is moving s/s on the slide, the slide isn't heat treated properly [ or should I say adequately ] or the slide stop is hardened more than the s/s slide.

aqualungs
01-20-2015, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't own it if they didn't fix it, PERIOD. I've had enough 1911's in s/s config to understand none of the former guns I owned ever exhibited that peening problem. If the slide stop is moving s/s on the slide, the slide isn't heat treated properly [ or should I say adequately ] or the slide stop is hardened more than the s/s slide.

Keth from DW did say the slide was softer than the slide stop and something has to give. I guess the slide stop is made of carbon steel and the slide is stainless. I agree with you, it seems to be hit or miss with them and am wondering why this setup was made and why it's still acceptable. I'm surprised with all the Valor owners there haven't been more photos. I would like to see a stainless slide without peening..

Anyone have Keith's email? I wouldn't mind a second opinion from him..

aqualungs
01-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Sent Keith a message. He's at Shotshow until 1/26, and I will update everyone on what he says.

brownie
01-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Keth from DW did say the slide was softer than the slide stop and something has to give. I guess the slide stop is made of carbon steel and the slide is stainless. I agree with you, it seems to be hit or miss with them and am wondering why this setup was made and why it's still acceptable. I'm surprised with all the Valor owners there haven't been more photos. I would like to see a stainless slide without peening..

Anyone have Keith's email? I wouldn't mind a second opinion from him..

Stainless can be hardened appropriately to prevent this. If their slides are soft enough to allow peening, IMO, there's a problem with the steel maker or DW specs are too soft. I wouldn't accept anything but a new slide that was properly heat treated if mine looked like that for the money spent.

My colt s/s 1911's never had this problem. Obviously it's solveable.

milkmanjoe
01-20-2015, 12:14 PM
Stainless can be hardened appropriately to prevent this. If their slides are soft enough to allow peening, IMO, there's a problem with the steel maker or DW specs are too soft. I wouldn't accept anything but a new slide that was properly heat treated if mine looked like that for the money spent.

Hell, I don't have this problem with over forty Springfields. Even though, I am looking at the Dan Wesson Valkyrie.

aqualungs
01-20-2015, 12:16 PM

Thanks brownie for all your input. I sent Keith this thread link also. Hopefully he reads through it. I'm having a hard time swallowing this pill, too. If this is normal why wouldn't they make to slide notches bigger or a different shape, or what you said a stronger slide. As you can see in Keith's earlier post he blatantly admits their slide is softer than the stop and it will peen. If they replace the slide that may irritate me too, considering the 600-700 rounds I spent $$ on breaking this puppy in.

I am expecting a "yes this is normal" reply to email and am trying to decide if this is acceptable.

aqualungs
01-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Hell, I don't have this problem with over forty Springfields. Even though, I am looking at the Dan Wesson Valkyrie.

Right, I'm somewhere between content and frustrated right now.. If this were another forum I would either be told this is wrong, and have them fix it, or I would be grilled for complaining.

RKP
01-20-2015, 12:36 PM
:eek: Dang ... after reading this I had to pull out my just recently purchased CCO and take another real good look at it !! Have about 300 rds through it so far but no signs at all of this occurring ... do keep us posted.

aqualungs
01-20-2015, 01:00 PM
:eek: Dang ... after reading this I had to pull out my just recently purchased CCO and take another real good look at it !! Have about 300 rds through it so far but no signs at all of this occurring ... do keep us posted.

After 600-700 rounds, I didn't notice until this last range trip, but I may have not noticed if for not the metal shaving on the slide. (100 rounds or so this range trip). From what I gather from reading and what DW reps has stated to me and others on forums, is that only the stainless slides have this issue because they are not coated and are softer... why they would allow the metal to be softer for the SS to chip away metal on the slide is beyond me.

What others area saying and I agree in this aspsect.. this should not happen on a semi-custom $1600 pistol for sure. This is why I am having a hard time moving on, regardless if it is just cosmetic.

RKP
01-20-2015, 01:14 PM
...... This is why I am having a hard time moving on, regardless if it is just cosmetic.

By NO means trying to add fuel to the fire here, but, I CERTAINLY would NOT be happy if that were happening to my brand new pistol, cosmetic or not.

milkmanjoe
01-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Right, I'm somewhere between content and frustrated right now.. If this were another forum I would either be told this is wrong, and have them fix it, or I would be grilled for complaining.

Lemme put this is some sort of perspective....A few years ago I won a gunbroker auction on a 1991 made Springfield Champion. It was the Holy Grail....$508 for a gun that looked like it was damn near never fired. It wouldn't feed hollow points. Dave Waits, via pictures, confirmed my suspicions.....the frame was cut "wrong" from the day the gun was new. In reality it was cut for ball ammo, back in 1991. I contacted Springfield, they instantly emailed me a shipping label, and maybe a week later they called. Yes, the frame was cut too deep in the ramp. My options were to cut it deeper and add a fully ramped barrel or get a new frame. Both free of charge. I am not a fan of bull barrels, so I took the new frame. Within a few weeks of diagnosis I had a smooth running, tight, Springfield Champion back home. It eats everything. Springfield didn't tell me any sort of "it's normal", or talk about metal hardness...they fixed the problem for free, even the shipping. This is just one reason I own so many Springfield 1911's and rifles. Most of mine never needed attention, but any that did never cost me a penny and the service was fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNV1O4xnOPc

brownie
01-20-2015, 02:42 PM
I've got to agree with you Joe, DW should find a way to make this right, the OP isn't happy and that's not good CS if they do anything other than keep him happy [ no peaning ].

I'd be very leery of someone telling me that the coating is what makes the slide hard and without it it will peen. Like I mentioned, none of the Colt s/s guns suffered the same fate over tens of thousands of rounds over many years through them,

pitor
01-20-2015, 02:51 PM
What a sexy old man you are Joe
:lies: :lies: :lies:

aqualungs
01-20-2015, 03:06 PM
It helps put things in perspective a bit! I’m not completely unhappy, but I bought a DW to get away from this kind mess, believing the quality control was better. Which I still think it is. Now I know nothing is perfect, but now this gun’s future is in a false sense of limbo because of my uncertainty.
I planned to have it hard chromed which will void the warranty on the finish, but now I am holding off on that and may wait until the warranty is up in 4 years. Last thing I want to do is spend $300 and then have them replace the slide, or deny replacing due to me refinishing it.
I am hoping Keith takes care of it, and also reads this thread. After all Cotep gravitates towards DW owners and that should be important to them. I don’t doubt they will make it right, but like you guys all said this should not be accepted as "normal wear”. I also shouldn’t have accept that I got one of the pistols with this problem and it’s normal to a certain degree.
Again I am leery of escalating this because déjà vu when my E-series had an issue where the slide took off all the anodizing on the frame rails. They ended up calling it normal after asking me to send it back to them 4x??. Every time I sent it to them it came back with more damage and to them it was my fault for sending it in.

milkmanjoe
01-20-2015, 03:17 PM
I've got to agree with you Joe, DW should find a way to make this right, the OP isn't happy and that's not good CS if they do anything other than keep him happy [ no peaning ].

I'd be very leery of someone telling me that the coating is what makes the slide hard and without it it will peen. Like I mentioned, none of the Colt s/s guns suffered the same fate over tens of thousands of rounds over many years through them,

Yup....near 2K for a pistol, DW needs to fix it no questions asked.

What a sexy old man you are Joe
:lies: :lies: :lies:

Lies, huh? Now you know why I rejected your marriage proposal...:D

It helps put things in perspective a bit! I’m not completely unhappy, but I bought a DW to get away from this kind mess, believing the quality control was better. Which I still think it is. Now I know nothing is perfect, but now this gun’s future is in a false sense of limbo because of my uncertainty.
I planned to have it hard chromed which will void the warranty on the finish, but now I am holding off on that and may wait until the warranty is up in 4 years. Last thing I want to do is spend $300 and then have them replace the slide, or deny replacing due to me refinishing it.
I am hoping Keith takes care of it, and also reads this thread. After all Cotep gravitates towards DW owners and that should be important to them. I don’t doubt they will make it right, but like you guys all said this should not be accepted as "normal wear”. I also shouldn’t have accept that I got one of the pistols with this problem and it’s normal to a certain degree.
Again I am leery of escalating this because déjà vu when my E-series had an issue where the slide took off all the anodizing on the frame rails. They ended up calling it normal after asking me to send it back to them 4x??. Every time I sent it to them it came back with more damage and to them it was my fault for sending it in.

Wait a second....Dan Wesson has a four year warranty? That's it?

aqualungs
01-20-2015, 03:35 PM
5 years and your on your own! I've owned mine almost a year.

milkmanjoe
01-20-2015, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=aqualungs;99639]5 years and your on your own! I've owned mine almost a year.

A five year warranty? On a near 2K 1911? The Dan Wesson lineup is beautiful, for what they cost I will not tolerate a limited warranty. I wonder why they aren't in line with other gun manufacturers. Now I wonder what Baer, Ed Brown, even Nighthawk offer in warranty service.

brownie
01-20-2015, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=aqualungs;99639]5 years and your on your own! I've owned mine almost a year.

A five year warranty? On a near 2K 1911? The Dan Wesson lineup is beautiful, for what they cost I will not tolerate a limited warranty. I wonder why they aren't in line with other gun manufacturers. Now I wonder what Baer, Ed Brown, even Nighthawk offer in warranty service.

From Browns website:

Do you have a written warranty on your products?

Yes, we have a lifetime warranty. If you ever need service on your Ed Brown firearm, we are here for you. It doesn't matter what the reason is, how old it is, or whether you are the original owner. We never look for reasons to turn away service calls...if you've got an Ed Brown firearm and you have a problem, we are here to help you.

In addition to the excellent service we offer, effective April 10, 2007, all Ed Brown firearms include a legal written limited lifetime warranty as well. We are the only high end 1911 manufacturer to our knowledge who offers a legal written lifetime warranty on firearms, which demonstrates the confidence we have in our product. Anyone can claim their service is the best (and most do), but to go a step further and put it in writing in a legal warranty is something that Ed Brown Products, Inc. does, and the others avoid.

aqualungs
01-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Should I have bought a Brown? Lol. I guess the Baers & Browns have this issue too.

Ed Brown
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=250278

They all eventually point to stainless steel is a soft metal.

milkmanjoe
01-20-2015, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=brownie;99654][QUOTE=milkmanjoe;99640]

From Browns website:

[U]Do you have a written warranty on your products?

Yes, we have a lifetime warranty. If you ever need service on your Ed Brown firearm, we are here for you. It doesn't matter what the reason is, how old it is, or whether you are the original owner. We never look for reasons to turn away service calls...if you've got an Ed Brown firearm and you have a problem, we are here to help you.

In addition to the excellent service we offer, effective April 10, 2007, all Ed Brown firearms include a legal written limited lifetime warranty as well. We are the only high end 1911 manufacturer to our knowledge who offers a legal written lifetime warranty on firearms, which demonstrates the confidence we have in our product. Anyone can claim their service is the best (and most do), but to go a step further and put it in writing in a legal warranty is something that Ed Brown Products, Inc. does, and the others avoid.

Question is what would Ed Brown do about the peening. They do have the warranty in place forever on the forearm, not even just the original owner.

[QUOTE=aqualungs;99656]Should I have bought a Brown? Lol. I guess the Baers & Browns have this issue too.

Ed Brown

I'm getting the feeling a good set of Arkansas stones are in the future of some 1911's.

Riverpigusmc
01-20-2015, 07:34 PM

Wilson covers their pistols. Forever. Period. Doesn't matter who bought it or how many times it is sold. If it ain't things like springs, or blatent abuse, they cover it

milkmanjoe
01-20-2015, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=milkmanjoe;99640]

Wilson covers their pistols. Forever. Period. Doesn't matter who bought it or how many times it is sold. If it ain't things like springs, or blatent abuse, they cover it

Good to know.....I like Wilson Combat.....my wallet hates Wilson Combat....I normally win over my wallet eventually.

brownie
01-20-2015, 08:22 PM
Should I have bought a Brown? Lol. I guess the Baers & Browns have this issue too.

Ed Brown

Ya, interesting read on the link, thanks. Mine's not exhibited the problem. Did you see someone also mentioned the colts s/s not peening as I experienced with several colt s/s guns?

I find that very interesting. Thanks for the link

Rick McC.
01-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Ya, interesting read on the link, thanks. Mine's not exhibited the problem. Did you see someone also mentioned the colts s/s not peening as I experienced with several colt s/s guns?

I find that very interesting. Thanks for the link

That's was me; no peening on any of my 1911's, including three with stainless slides.

Sheepdog
01-20-2015, 10:35 PM
I pulled out 4 stainless Dan Wessons and didn't find any peening on any of them.

aqualungs
01-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Thanks for checking guys. I also found this thread where Wilson and Baer had the issue and they fixed it and assured it wouldn't happen anymore. So I guess at the least they should fix it, right? Common and known cosmetic problem. Btw the thumb hitting the slide stop theory is out. My thumb doesn't reach.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255534

titanse05
01-20-2015, 10:57 PM
I shoot my guns not just collect them. They all have had minor peening at the slide stop (3 stainless steel slides, 1 carbon steel). The carbon steel slide has the least amount of peening, almost nonexistent. They all have several thousand rounds thru them. I just knocked down the high spots after initial break in and go back to shooting them. Only way to ensure that a pistol remains pristine is to not shoot it at all and that would be a waste IMHO.

When it comes to these types of "issues" , the individual ends up deciding what is excessive and what's acceptable.

Good luck in reaching your happy place with your Valor. It's a sweet pistol.

milkmanjoe
01-21-2015, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=aqualungs;99709]Thanks for checking guys. I also found this thread where Wilson and Baer had the issue and they fixed it and assured it wouldn't happen anymore. So I guess at the least they should fix it, right? Common and known cosmetic problem. Btw the thumb hitting the slide stop theory is out. My thumb doesn't reach.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255534

Very interesting....sounds like the industry found a way to produce parts that bit them in the arse and some lived up to their name.

aqualungs
01-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Yes although I do like them to stay pretty, I buy them to shoot them, also with a little collecting in mind! I have one safe queen lately and it’s a 22 pistol that I used to practice with a lot. My Vbob has 700 rounds through it in the 6 months I’ve been able to shoot it, so I try to keep it busy. It already has earned scratches and wear from holstering and carrying, so I don’t get in a twist about that. It’s not going to stay perfect.. that’s why I took a picture when I first got it! Regardless of the cosmetic peening I love this pistol, and am not going to change my mind on what a great shooter it is. It’s my most expensive and still my favorite go to gun. It will still be on my night stand at night, and it will still be carried whenever I can conceal it.
It seems like it’s hit or miss with the peening from the links I posted, and it happens even to the cream of the crop. I put the pistol back together without the barrel and spring and worked the parts together. Looks like the slide stop may have made the clearance it needs, and hopefully won’t go any further.. Going to the range tomorrow and will hammer some rounds through it. I marked the spots with permanent marker. I’ll fire a few mags through and take it apart and see if it’s still hitting. I’m open to any other suggestions, otherwise.

Meanwhile I will wait for Keith’s second opinionand if he tells me it’s purely cosmetic, I’m not going to lose sleep about it. If it gets worse then I may have some concern, and will wait a few hundred more rounds until I chrome it.

milkmanjoe
01-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Yes although I do like them to stay pretty, I buy them to shoot them, also with a little collecting in mind! I have one safe queen lately and it’s a 22 pistol that I used to practice with a lot. My Vbob has 700 rounds through it in the 6 months I’ve been able to shoot it, so I try to keep it busy. It already has earned scratches and wear from holstering and carrying, so I don’t get in a twist about that. It’s not going to stay perfect.. that’s why I took a picture when I first got it! Regardless of the cosmetic peening I love this pistol, and am not going to change my mind on what a great shooter it is. It’s my most expensive and still my favorite go to gun. It will still be on my night stand at night, and it will still be carried whenever I can conceal it.
It seems like it’s hit or miss with the peening from the links I posted, and it happens even to the cream of the crop. I put the pistol back together without the barrel and spring and worked the parts together. Looks like the slide stop may have made the clearance it needs, and hopefully won’t go any further.. Going to the range tomorrow and will hammer some rounds through it. I marked the spots with permanent marker. I’ll fire a few mags through and take it apart and see if it’s still hitting. I’m open to any other suggestions, otherwise.

Meanwhile I will wait for Keith’s second opinionand if he tells me it’s purely cosmetic, I’m not going to lose sleep about it. If it gets worse then I may have some concern, and will wait a few hundred more rounds until I chrome it.

Like I posted earlier in this thread.....looks like Arkansas stones are in your future. Mine too.

aqualungs
01-21-2015, 11:07 AM
Like I posted earlier in this thread.....looks like Arkansas stones are in your future. Mine too.

On my to-do list along with some new WC ETM mags. ;)

aqualungs
01-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Keith got back to me right as I was getting to bed about 11:47 PM. So any of you out there that runs into this has an explanation. Here's what he said:

Marty,

Yes this is completely normal. It does not occur on every gun but a large majority. It is purl cosmetic and will not have any effect on funtion. The slide is made of 416 stainless, which is the industry standard. The slidestop, which takes a lot of abuse, is made of 420 stainless and hardened to 50 Rockwell for durability. This peeing does occur on carbon and steal guns from every manufacturer. Do a Google search and look at the images. You will see what I mean.

I am not sure how many rounds you have through it but I am guessing not many by the looks of the wear on the slide. If you are concerned about the looks of the gun, I suggest shooting it a lot more and then send the slide to us. We would be happy to dress the area up a bit to make it look better.

I am glad to hear that your customer severe with Glen was good. :)

Thank you for purchasing a Dan Wesson firearm and good shooting. If the is anything else we can do to help you, please ask.

Keith Lawton
VP of Operations DW

milkmanjoe
01-22-2015, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=aqualungs;99907]Keith got back to me right as I was getting to bed about 11:47 PM. So any of you out there that runs into this has an explanation. Here's what he said:

Marty,

Yes this is completely normal. It does not occur on every gun but a large majority. It is purl cosmetic and will not have any effect on funtion. The slide is made of 416 stainless, which is the industry standard. The slidestop, which takes a lot of abuse, is made of 420 stainless and hardened to 50 Rockwell for durability. This peeing does occur on carbon and steal guns from every manufacturer. Do a Google search and look at the images. You will see what I mean.

I am not sure how many rounds you have through it but I am guessing not many by the looks of the wear on the slide. If you are concerned about the looks of the gun, I suggest shooting it a lot more and then send the slide to us. We would be happy to dress the area up a bit to make it look better.

I am glad to hear that your customer severe with Glen was good. :)

Thank you for purchasing a Dan Wesson firearm and good shooting. If the is anything else we can do to help you, please ask.

Keith Lawton
VP of Operations DW

I wonder why it happens to some guns and not others.

titanse05
01-22-2015, 03:16 PM
I wonder why it happens to some guns and not others.The ones that don't get shot stay perfect.:)

aqualungs
01-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Guess we will all have to buy another!

milkmanjoe
01-23-2015, 03:33 PM
The ones that don't get shot stay perfect.:)

funny