PDA

View Full Version : More reloading help

sdmc530
07-25-2012, 05:07 PM
OK....sorry for all the dumb/inquisitive questions:

I have geen reloading for about a year now I suppose and do really enjoy it. It saves money and on crappy weather days its relaxing.
Questions:
1. Do you use a chronorgraph? If you do how has it helped you?
A guy on the other forum stated that if you load without checking your loads on a chrony your an idiot....well that is basicly what he said. Right now I just use a load book.

2. What is the best load book for pistol loads? I only load .45 right now becaue the verry little .40SW I shoot I don't mind buying and .22 well thats just stupid to me to load. The rest of my long guns I don't near enough to even bother with the exeption of the .223 but that is still cheap enough to not reload (yet). What book do you recomend...is there an only pistol book? Right now i use the internet and the "one cartridge one load" book....I know its not the best.

Thanks!!

Grizzman
07-25-2012, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't call anyone an idiot for not using a chronograph while reloading.

If a person sticks to standard cartridges and uses data from multiple books to confirm that the data is legit, there should be no problems. Brass inspection should be adequate.

If a person loads for a wildcat cartridge or a non SAAMI chamber (like 6.8 SPC Spec II), then it is fully necessary.

The more books used the better, so just buy them all.

Grizz

Hoss in IL
07-26-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm with Grizz. I don't have a chronograph and I haven't had any problems. I just check my cases/primers for signs of "over pressure". .45acp is a low (comparatively) pressure cartridge. If you stay within the min. & max. parameters for your chosen bullet/powder combo, I think the only variable(s) you'd have to keep an eye on is not seating to bullet too deep and over crimping your case mouth.

Of course, I'm not a professional and haven't been reloading for 50 years. I'll get a chronograph soon because I want to start pushing my 10mm and 9x23 faster. I'm also just starting to reload .223. I begged my neighbor's chronograph to test those :D

Pay attention to what you're doing and religiously check your cases, you should be OK.

ColMike
07-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Phil,
I like to use the powder manufacturer's website, along with the bullet site as well. I figure these guys know their products. And they are free. That said, I have a speer book that I bought when I was setting up. I use it when internet is not available.

I don't have a chronograph. Would be nice to have one. I don't think for my use 985fps or 976 or 995 matters that much. What matters to me is reliability and how it groups at my desired range.

sdmc530
07-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I couldn't be happier with the responces...I really don't wanna lay out 100 bucks for a chrono. I use the internet with books and I don't push the limits of the rounds. I keep them in the safer load data, they are just range loads for me. I starting to load to save money and found i really enjoy it now that I am getting into it...so dang cool to make your own bullets!

fjweems3
07-31-2012, 04:13 PM
I have been reloading for at least twenty years and do not own a chronograph. Used one when doing T&E for local Sheriff's Department, but that was for the armorer's information. I use several books, including Lyman's, Lee's, and VV's. Sierra is a great book also.

Load on, my friend!nannernannernannernannernanner