PDA

View Full Version : Brand New CBOB. 2012 Model. Hammer Follow while firing!!!

dw1911
07-29-2012, 06:28 PM
My Brand New CBOB has 5 occasions TODAY of the hammer following the slide back during firing! Factory mags, Wilson mags, CM Mags. Out of ALL the 1911's I own, MANY Dan Wessons. I have never seen one do this. It has about 250 rounds thru it since factory new. Weird problem too. Up till today it was fine, suddenly when I load it up and fire a round, the hammer instead of being cocked back for the next round is sitting at rest on the firing pin. Did this 5 times. If I cock the hammer then by hand, it's ok for the rest of the mag. Next mag, does it again! Shooting like I always do, my V-Bob was with me . It did NOT do it. Federal 230 grain FMJs.
I reckon Keith will have to get it back and fix it up! I plan to email & call Him about it
Anyone else experience this issue?
Thanks, Steve

MPrimo
07-29-2012, 08:27 PM
My guess it is simply the over-travel adjustment screw that needs tweaking. I have had it happen as well. I believe Keith has talked people through the adjustment before. I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Have faith in the great DW!

titanse05
07-29-2012, 09:21 PM
My guess it is simply the over-travel adjustment screw that needs tweaking. I have had it happen as well. I believe Keith has talked people through the adjustment before. I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Have faith in the great DW!

I have to agree, my 08 cbob had the same thing.

dw1911
07-29-2012, 10:50 PM

I hope you are both right. But I do not know how to adjust it correctly.
I'll try and get hold of Keith.

dw1911
07-29-2012, 11:44 PM
After checking my triggers on all my Dan Wesson 1911's. I do not think the over travel screw is the problem. I don't know WHAT it is. But the Problem is very REAL and disturbing as well.!
I'm confident it will be resolved though!

Snipersnest
07-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Shoulda bought a KIMBER!!!!:p

dw1911
07-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Shoulda bought a KIMBER!!!!:p

Yeah, like that will happen! Keith emailed me instructions on setting the over travel screw, He's probably right. I'll try it!
P.S. I won't buy any Mimbers so there will be more for you! :p

titanse05
07-30-2012, 04:06 PM
It's the screw........let us know once you are good to go.

dw1911
07-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Well, the screw was pretty far off according to what Keith said. I won't know if it worked until this weekend. But it was backed off. I don't see how I can get any loctite on the threads though. Loctite is anerobic, I am thinking a small drop of the Wife's nail polish should hold it in place. Thoughts?
P.S. There was no loctite on it from the factory. No wonder it backed out after about 200 rounds!

MPrimo
07-30-2012, 09:38 PM
You can give it a quickie function test at home. Cycle the action. Pull the trigger and hold it in then cycle the action again with the trigger back. The hammer should stay cocked after the second cycle. When you get to the range ... load no more than 2 rounds to start just in case. Oh ... I speak from experience!!! And yes, nail polish will work.

Good luck with it!

dw1911
07-30-2012, 09:44 PM
You can give it a quickie function test at home. Cycle the action. Pull the trigger and hold it in then cycle the action again with the trigger back. The hammer should stay cocked after the second cycle. When you get to the range ... load no more than 2 rounds to start just in case. Oh ... I speak from experience!!! And yes, nail polish will work.

Good luck with it!

Did the function test, it passed fine. But.... It would pass that before.
The range will be the only real test. That screw was off a bit! I'm sure I turned it in about 1 and 1/2 turns. I also tested it as Keith said and using two hands SLOWLY let the hammer come down wile holding the trigger in, no catches on the sear or hammer at all. Think it will be ok.

Sheepdog
07-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Good luck, keep the faith!

dw1911
07-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Good luck, keep the faith!

Thanks! It will be OK!

Thedragonslayer
07-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Interested to see if that fixed it. Good luck with it. Hold on tight when you pull that trigger the first time!

Noel

dw1911
07-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Interested to see if that fixed it. Good luck with it. Hold on tight when you pull that trigger the first time!

Noel

Oh I will! A Death Grip! I'll only load a couple rounds the 1st mag too.
I too am curious if this fixes the problem. If not, it goes back to Dan Wesson I guess.
I believe Keith knows what He's talking about.

dw1911
08-05-2012, 09:59 PM
I am Happy to report that the CBOB had ZERO failures today and NO Hammer Follow! Only 100 rounds of Federal 230 grain ball ammo, but that's a good test.
It passed! :)
By the way, any of you that are having Magazine troubles with your Dan Wesson Factory Mags, I had a couple that had Failure to feed on the last round on my VBOB, it had the stainless folllower witout a dimple. I ordered 2 followers from Checkmate, these are their Teflon Coated with a dimple. They worked flawlessly! Just call Checkmate, ask for Katherine, She was very nice and MAILED em to me . Had them in a couple days.
Toll Free 1-800-229-6467 Here's a link to the followers:

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=26&idproduct=69
I plan to order 2 more so all my mags have that follower!
Hey, it was only about $19.00 for 2 followers, shipped via USPS 1st class mail!

douglas_knott
08-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Good deal. Easy fix.

Bello
08-06-2012, 06:02 AM
I am Happy to report that the CBOB had ZERO failures today and NO Hammer Follow! Only 100 rounds of Federal 230 grain ball ammo, but that's a good test.
It passed! :)
By the way, any of you that are having Magazine troubles with your Dan Wesson Factory Mags, I had a couple that had Failure to feed on the last round on my VBOB, it had the stainless folllower witout a dimple. I ordered 2 followers from Checkmate, these are their Teflon Coated with a dimple. They worked flawlessly! Just call Checkmate, ask for Katherine, She was very nice and MAILED em to me . Had them in a couple days.
Toll Free 1-800-229-6467 Here's a link to the followers:

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=26&idproduct=69
I plan to order 2 more so all my mags have that follower!
Hey, it was only about $19.00 for 2 followers, shipped via USPS 1st class mail!

Shouldn't it have been free since warranty?

dw1911
08-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Shouldn't it have been free since warranty?

Nope, the stainless followers were not " defective". This is considered an "Upgrade". I don't mind paying a little for a LOT better ones.

Thedragonslayer
08-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Good to hear she's running well!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

titanse05
08-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Knew it....glad it's back up and running.

dw1911
08-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Knew it....glad it's back up and running.

Me too! :)