PDA

View Full Version : Brand new ECO with a tad of an issue

Daedalus
08-24-2012, 03:11 PM
I finally had an opportunity this morning to take my new ECO to the range. It was clean, wet and ready to rock.

The first round fired fine. The second didn’t and I suspect maybe a dud round; I ejected it and loaded a new one. It fired OK, the next didn’t. It turns out the slide is not going fully into battery as it should. It stops maybe a half-inch before it should. Slight thumb pressure on the rear of the slide and it goes forward into battery. I tried three different magazines and two types of ammo – it made no difference. I thought perhaps it just needed to be ‘worked’ more but after ~35 to 40 rounds it is no better.

I removed the slide when I returned home and found no obvious burrs or rub points other than the lower inside portion of the slide where the serial number is.

I fired off an email to Dave Severn to see if it needs to go back to him or to Keith.

Bummer - my first ever DW issue!

douglas_knott
08-24-2012, 03:37 PM
That isn't good. Did you follow Bald1's thread on New DW's? He states to rack the slide several times before your first range session to help with how tight the slide/frame fit is on them.

AutoMag
08-24-2012, 03:45 PM
When you have a feed or failure to return to battery with a 1911 or any auto for that matter the magazine is always the first culprit.

In this case, it's very likely the magazine spring, and due to the fact that it's an Officer size 1911 I suspect that the slide is over sprung which is often a contributor to these mis-feeds but the primary cause is the magazine.

Being over sprung means that the recoil spring is too heavy.

Just a thought Jack!!:)

Daedalus
08-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Dave Severn replied it is likely just because these are VERY TIGHT (his emphasis) guns. He suggested racking it a few hundred times and try again. I'm up to 150 now - more to follow.

I tried several magazines - that was my first guess, but all dd the same thing. Tried various ammo types and that made no difference either.

By the way, either I am getting far better (yeah, right) or the accuracy of the ECO is better than my other Dans. It is spot on out of the box at 7 and 15 yards. Not too shabby for an officer size!

douglas_knott
08-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Dave Severn replied it is likely just because these are VERY TIGHT (his emphasis) guns. He suggested racking it a few hundred times and try again. I'm up to 150 now - more to follow.

I tried several magazines - that was my first guess, but all dd the same thing. Tried various ammo types and that made no difference either.

By the way, either I am getting far better (yeah, right) or the accuracy of the ECO is better than my other Dans. It is spot on out of the box at 7 and 15 yards. Not too shabby for an officer size!

I figured being tight was the problem. We will find out once you shoot it.

Daedalus
08-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I wish the neighbors were out so I could find out how it is after racking a couple hundred times. They aren't, darn it, and would possibly freak out if I were to fire into the stream bank behind my house. Maybe they will be out in the morning and, if so, so will I :D

AutoMag
08-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Jack, I hope that racking the slide a few hundred times will work out for you!!:)

Daedalus
09-25-2012, 07:30 PM
It ended up going back to NY to visit with Keith. Ten days later it was back and runs perfectly in every way. Excellent service!

One interesting discovery: Federal American Eagle and the ECO don't like each other. No misfires, FTF, FTE or anything but I was missing the paper at 21 feet! CCI/Speer Lawman in the same mag made me look good. Go figure!