PDA

View Full Version : Powder recommendation

Boats
09-30-2012, 07:09 PM
I've recently started reloading for .45 and have been using Unique through a Lee Auto Disk Pro using the micrometer disk on a Lee Turret press.

I don't like the way it feeds - I can't seem to get accurate and uniform drops with this powder. It probably varies by about +/- .3gr

I'd hate to think it was the feeder, though I admit it's possible. Do you all have problems feeding Unique?

What powder feeds uniformly for you if you use a Lee Auto Disk Pro?

I've been using 230gr JHP over 6.0gr of Unique.

sdmc530
09-30-2012, 07:58 PM
I can't speak for your specific set up but I use Winchester 231 powder for my pistol loading. I really like it, very consistent when using an auto type dispenser. I don't get off more than .1 from my loads. I think that is pretty accurate but I am no expert. I like 231 because the min to max range is pretty high so if a min is 5.4 and the max is 6.2 if your dispenser is set at say 5.6 I am never off by more than.1 5.5-5.7. I am pleased with that result.

Not sure if I helped but I can not give an opinion, I am an American. :D

Boats
09-30-2012, 08:14 PM
I can't speak for your specific set up but I use Winchester 231 powder for my pistol loading. I really like it, very consistent when using an auto type dispenser. I don't get off more than .1 from my loads. I think that is pretty accurate but I am no expert. I like 231 because the min to max range is pretty high so if a min is 5.4 and the max is 6.2 if your dispenser is set at say 5.6 I am never off by more than.1 5.5-5.7. I am pleased with that result.

Not sure if I helped but I can not give an opinion, I am an American. :D

Of course it helped! Any information helps at this point... the more the better.

I've never used 231 but I know there are lots of people who swear by it. I guess the question is does it provide accurate drops with my Lee stuff?

Thanks!

sdmc530
09-30-2012, 08:30 PM
I use the lee powder measure, the little red plastic one that you flip the handed up and down. Has the screw measure adjuster on the back of the handle....Not sure if this the one you use. I still load on my Lee classic single stage and love it.

I only use 231 because I think its an easy powder to use and go bang every time. OH yea its my price too about $21 a pound!

Semper Paratus
09-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Unique has its own challenges metering. Absolutely the best, I've used, in that burn rate range is AA #5....super consistent. What I'm currently using is Universal Clays (Universal). Meters well and is a lot cleaner than Unique once you hit the upper ends of the range. If you are looking for powder puff loads 231, Clays, AA#2, Bullseye are all stuff I've used to good affect. I used to load a ton of stuff with Red Dot and 700X (.38, .357, 45 ACP 12 Ga). In those days we had a small one bedroom apartment so stowage was at a premium so I selected multipurpose powders for the shot gun and hand gun. Used 4064 for the 30-'06

AutoMag
09-30-2012, 09:04 PM
I use Winchester 231 for the majority of my handguns and Winchester 296 for the larger calibers. :)

DaFadda
09-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Universal Clays here. Although I have Bullseye, Unique, Powerpistol and Titegroup all on the shelf. Universal just seems to work on almost everything. Meters nicely, relatively clean burning. For a while I thought it made my shooting more accurate.... but then...... I realized.

"I'm just THAT good." Buwwwwwaaaahhhhhhh!

DaFadda

ColMike
09-30-2012, 10:02 PM
I use unique with a uniflo measure with no issues.

sdmc530
09-30-2012, 10:23 PM
"I'm just THAT good." Buwwwwwaaaahhhhhhh!

DaFadda

OH jeesh.........:bs::bs:

Boats
10-01-2012, 09:11 AM
OH jeesh.........:bs::bs:

So true scold

Olympus
10-02-2012, 09:29 AM
I've been using the Auto Disk for quite a while and I never have any problems. I'm seen several threads on other forums about people having problems when using Unique with it. I've never tried it though. In my .45 reloads, I use Win 231 or HP-38 exclusively and it throws accurate charges with those powders.