PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun input

CalWhit33
05-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Wanting to get into shotgun sports, trap and skeet and maybe some bird hunting on a buddies land small birds. I'm really eying the Benelli M2 or the montefeltro. Anybody have one of them or another brand that would be fair to compare to. I'm wanting an auto instead of a O/U and price max Would be $1500 and thats stretching it. Hopefully Ill be able to go shoulder them all in the near future.

douglas_knott
05-22-2011, 03:24 PM
I got a .410 id sell ya. it will make you a better shot. :)

Sheepdog
05-22-2011, 05:30 PM
I am a competitive shotgun shooter. Life Member ATA,NSCA. I will do my best to be of any help I can.

I love Benelli shotguns. Neither of the ones you mentioned are gas operated= greater felt recoil. If you are going to the field they are great, fastest lock time of any semi auto shotgun made*.

My first suggestion would be to check out the Winchester Super x These guns were built between 1974 and 1984 not very well heard of because primarily sold as Comp guns These IMHO are the best semi auto shotguns ever made. These are real guns beautiful wood and steel, deep blueing. You will have to have the barrel choked because they came with fixed chokes. All steel NO STAMPED PARTS. They are as dependable as any semi auto is going to be. Great Guns. There is a DU nib $850 on GB. You might also want to check out the Super x 3, claims to have faster lock time than Benelli? Choked, adj. comb.+- $1500. Also the Beretta 391 comp is a great shotgun. All things considered you will probably want a 30" over a 28". Will work better for sporting and Trap longer barrel gives you More sight distance and being heavier tend to help you follow threw. If you find something at your LGS and have questions please feel free to ask. Depending on What you decide on i might can help.

CalWhit33
05-22-2011, 06:38 PM
The reason I was leaning benelli was because it wasnt gas operated being less hassle? Also with the inertia driven and comfortech stock claims to reduce felt recoil up to 48%. Any insight on these claims. Also how much of a "pain" is it really to break down clean maintain a gas operated shotgun. Im a simple guy and would like something straight forward to work with. The super x is on my list of shotguns to look at. The beretta 391 was on the list already.

DK I would love a .410 again, maybe get the gf into it as well.

CalWhit33
05-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Ive found some models of interest.
The Benelli M2 and montefeltro
Beretta AL391 and the A400 Xplor Light
Winchester Super X3
Browning Sliver and Maxus

Just my initial thoughts of personal preference Im liking the A400 for looks, then M2 for non gas operated, the Super X for the no frills just work look.

MPrimo
05-23-2011, 06:50 AM
I too am an experienced competition shooter (NSSA and NSCA ... just got back from the NSCA US Open yesterday) and am very familiar with these guns. Here is my take:

1. The Benelli is a proven system that works great. They are more targeted for Home Defense and Hunting than the clay target sports but some are being used ... effectively. The inertia system will kick a little more than a gas system.
2. The Beretta 391 is the current gold standard for autos in competition. Most work well (some need tweaking) and they are very easy to point and swing for most people. Recoil is light and aftermarket parts and accessories are readily available. I have 3 of these and they all run perfectly (I also have a Benelli). The 391 would be my first choice. The A400 is too new for me to have an opinion on. It is very light!
3. I know several people shooting the SX3 locally and they all work well. I don't have any personal experience but these appear to be a good value.
4. Historically, the Brownings have been less reliable than the Berettas. The Maxus is fairly new and is a nice looking gun. One of my best friends just bought one (he is a big Browning guy) and he loves it. I shot it and it was very similar to the Beretta 391 IMO. He had a couple of FTFs when the gun was new but after that it worked well. I am not sure how much was changed mechanically from the Gold model but broken firing pins and FP springs have always been a big issue with the Browning autos.

Don't rule out the Remington 1100 either. Nothing shoots lighter (recoil wise) and they are proven performers.

The gas guns will need cleaning more frequently than an inertia gun (Benelli) but it is fairly easy and only takes 10 minutes after every 500 rounds or so (more often with the Remington). I have run as many as 2500 rounds through a 391 without cleaning with no issues.

My vote is for the Beretta 391!

Hope this helps.

CalWhit33
05-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Whats your opinion on barrel length? I can see what sheepdog says that 30 would give me longer radius for trap*?(going away) but how does that go for the doubles going side to side? My current 870 is 26in and I really like the length and cant really imagine adding 4 inches to it. Also being a multi shooting purpose and a local club shooter, Im not really looking for that "race" gun but something that would feel comfortable in less than perfect hunting conditions.

Wish I lived somewhere closer to someone who stocked firearms. On a side note the Brownings are pretty looking shotguns. Thanks for the input guys.

MPrimo
05-23-2011, 09:08 PM
If you are going to hunt with it then I would go with a 28" barrel. 28" works well for skeet too and is certainly passable for sporting clays. That said, I shoot sporting clays exclusively and use a 34" O/U ... when people ask I say it is because they don't make a 36"! If the gun is balanced properly then a longer barrel is an advantage on a serious target gun. On a general purpose gun, I don't think it makes much difference ... IMO.

CalWhit33
05-25-2011, 01:34 PM
OK so as usual I got impatient and had to go hit a few gunshops to take a look. I think I saw everything on my list but lacked the different barrel lengths. 26 inches is nice but 28 still felt good to swing, no 30 inch models that will have to be a this weekend thing.

OK now the guns...

Beretta A4oo Xplor: both the 3.5 and 3 (light) felt great, I mean wow great. And being the most expensive they lived up seemingly to the price tag. Don't really want a 3.5 as I feel the 3inch chamber is far more sufficient for what I will be doing. Both were very pretty guns, seemed very well put together and the wood checkering was crisp and very positive(not too sharp). Shouldered very easy and fit was pretty good, not a perfect sight picture but multiple shouldering and blind shouldering very consistent and only a hair off. I'm thinking this is something that can be learned out of habit with the same gun.

Beretta 391's: Felt like a ton of bricks after holding the Xplor. But after a few seconds of handling it its wasn't too heavy. All the above can be said for the 391 except the weight is a little more but not too bother some might even help with recoil. Either model I would really want the kick off recoil system. I had about the same sight picture as the Xplor and shouldering was the same. Balance felt good in the had and on the shoulder. This one had a 28in barrel and it swung with ease so I may really consider a 30in if I can get my hands on one. Not as pretty to look at as the Xplor but thats just cosmetic. The camo versions just didn't do it for me, felt better that Benelli but probably going to end up with wood. I was told only difference in Extrema and Urika was wood and synthetic is this the case?

Benelli M2: Seems like a well put together shotgun made for field use (hence the name m2 field I guess) looks durable and rugged. I felt the camo, synthetic and wood. All versions remind me of a Remington, just feel like its going to work. Shouldering it had the same sight pictures as the Berettas and was consistent as well. Shouldered well and swung quick even with the 28in barrel. But the balance wasn't as good as the Beretta, not that it was a heavy gun just didn't feel as comfortable on the shoulder. To me just doesn't feel like you get anything fancy for the money spent. (not saying its not a great gun if my main purpose was field hunting in swamps or marshes I would probably own this gun in multiple versions)

Benelli Montefeltro: More so the type of shotgun I'm looking for. Looks like same Benelli quality, looks well put together just dressed up a little more. I cant remember if this is the model that had the small fiber optic front sight that I did not like. It had a nice receiver and the checkering was solid as well. I will give this one another chance as my memory is cloudy on this one.

Winchester SX3: First this was the only one that would line up perfect every time. Not too heavy but still didn't have that balance the Beretta did. Only had synthetic stock and 28in barrel. I haven't ruled this one out yet The stock was nice very grippy. Quality seemed to be on par with other brands didn't feel cheap by any means. Shouldered quick and swung nice.

Remington's 1100 1187: Both seemed like work horses, they felt slightly heavier in hand. Shouldered quick and swung like the others, but I could really feel the weight after a while. Seemed like it was barrel heavy not right around the receiver like the others. I'm not sure what the weights are on all of them but these just carried different. I would put these in same class as Benelli, made to work every time no questions asked. Stock had some good grip to it.

Browning Silver Hunter: The guy handed me this one and it turned into a random variable. I have to say it meet all my criteria, it was nice to look at and felt good on the shoulder. It didn't seem to weigh all that much, and it balanced 2nd best, not as well as Beretta but not that far behind. Same shouldering as others slightly off but very consistent. Cant remember barrel but swung with ease like the others. I'm going to have to take a closer look into the Browning lineup and hold a few more this weekend.

So all in all a fairly good Tuesday, at least I got my hands dirty so to say. Right now I would have to say I'm highly favoring the Beretta line up. But its still early. I will give a follow up after this weekend after the gun show and Cabela's stop.

**EDIT also want to check out the Browning Maxus Hunter. Any thoughts on this model?

CalWhit33
05-31-2011, 01:48 AM
OK so after lots of reading and hands on feeling multiple shotguns multiple times at various stores ive decided on one to get....

Well I havent really decided yet. When I get back from vacation Im going to take a pocket full of cash and get which ever one feels right in my hands at the time and never look back. Ive decided I cant really go wrong with what ever one I get. And they can be customized to get a correct fit. So more reading and bruised shoulders from the 870 for the time being.

Dave Waits
05-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Hmmm. don't have a dog in this fight as I am a die-hard pump-guy. I shot an 870 TB for years in ATA, thought it was the best pointing shotgun I've ever shouldered. Recoil never seemed to bother me. I foolishly sold it and bought a Browning Superposed. Another great shotgun but, didn't point like the 870.

When I look at a shotgun, I pick a point high up on a wall,stare at it, close my eyes and shoulder the gun. Then I open my eyes. 870s are the only shotguns I've ever done this with that consistantly had the sight pointed right where I was looking. not very scientific but, it works for me.

My problem is that now, I'm having this obscene infatuation with Side by Sides......

Sheepdog
05-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Thats going to cost you!