PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe I did it...

Lane
10-12-2012, 08:38 PM
TWICE!!!

One of my customers is just around the corner from a very nice indoor range. I had a meeting scheduled with them so I put my range bag in the car (more on the bag later...) so I could have some therapy after the meeting.

I was having a great time, shooting some of my guns that haven't been shot for a while - my DW CBOB, my Rock Island, and of course my class project.

I'm just starting into my second hundred hand loads and pffft! SQUIB!! In my new gun!!! Arrrgh. Put it in the bag, and try to salvage what's left of my pride. Load up the CBOB, and two rounds later pffft! DAMMIT!!! another one. I can't friggin believe it. If I still drank, I'd think that maybe I'd been drinking while making this batch...

I'm now thinking the rest of that box of loads is suspect - I'm going to weight them and see if I can identify any other under performers.

I now throw myself onto the alter of public humiliation. Let the ridicule begin.

Lane

Riverpigusmc
10-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Ellison is now officially off the hook

(not really, but let him bask for a moment)

Better squib than a double charge, I reckon

AutoMag
10-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Lane, sorry to hear of your problem!! I hope that your 1911's are OK.

You will get no ridicule from me as I have done that also, anyone that has not, well just wait sooner or later it is gonna happen. Never say never in reloading!!

douglas_knott
10-12-2012, 10:30 PM
What kind of press do you use lane?

sdmc530
10-12-2012, 10:36 PM
I wil not verbally abuse you but if it were Ellison then I would for sure! I have been reloadign not very long, maybe 2 years and I have never had a puff....I am sure that I will but can't relate (yet)....I hope the guns are OK..that is what matters, your pride will be tested again and again.....

DaFadda
10-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Lane,

A man of your stature, means and mannerisms is certainly entitled to a few mistakes in life. I'm glad that you caught it and didn't follow through with another shot!

(Obviously written by a man who has a holster in the queue)

DaFadda

Lane
10-13-2012, 12:04 PM
What kind of press do you use lane?

I use a Dillon 550... but, I'm starting to wonder about what happened.

When I first started reloading I had a squib - it made a much louder "bang" and the bullet went into the barrel. On both of these, the sound wasn't much more than a dry fire - and the bullet barely engages the riflings. I put a cleaning rod with a jag down though the muzzel end, and a few taps with the brass mallet knocked 'em loose.

Looking at the bottom of the bullet that came out, it was covered with crusty gunk - that sort of looked like gun powder. I don't remember inspecting the bullet from my first squib - but I do remember that getting the bullet out was much more difficult.

Is it possible that the primer was bad? Could a primer fire enough to fire the bullet without igniting the powder? Could there be a problem with the powder? Should I stop cutting the powder with sawdust?

I'm starting to second guess that there might be something else at issue here.

Lane

AutoMag
10-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Lane, that sounds like a primer only round, no powder at all!!

Quit using that sawdust and start using ground up pine straw!!!:D:D

vmr357
10-14-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm now thinking the rest of that box of loads is suspect - I'm going to weight them and see if I can identify any other under performers.

I now throw myself onto the alter of public humiliation. Let the ridicule begin.

Lane
Tough day shooting. I had the same thing happen to me, but with some "commercial" loads from a local ammo company that has since gone out of business. Had two squibs in two guns. Packed up and went home where I tapped them out with a dowel.

How confident are you in being able to sort out the good from the bad by weighing them? I got a couple hundred rounds I don't dare use right now.

Vern

Deleted
10-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Ellison is now officially off the hook

(not really, but let him bask for a moment)

Better squib than a double charge, I reckon

Hard to believe that Ellison hasn't chimed in on this.

sdmc530
10-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Hard to believe that Ellison hasn't chimed in on this.

I am not sure he really can...with out him being ridiculed himself....but would love the chance:D

titanse05
10-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Sounds like you need a powder checker die. I run a RCBS Lockout Die in my Hornady LNL Progressive on top of visually checking each case before placing the bullet on the case.