PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic Case Cleaner

Boats
10-13-2012, 03:23 PM
I've been using a tumbler with corn cob and walnut for a while now, and it does the job.

But it's messy!

Do any of you use an ultrasonic cleaner? How do you like it? How long have you had it?

I'm interested in the Hornady Magnum system.

Expensive!

If I'm going to pay that much ($240 at Midway), I'd like to know that they work, keep working for a long time, and do a great job.

Any experiences greatly appreciated.

DaFadda
10-13-2012, 08:15 PM
I'll enjoy the responses to this one also. But I run an 18 pound capacity Chicago Electric vibratory, due to the large amounts of shells I clean (yup, still hoarding, prepping or whatever you call it). I'm thinking the sonic system might be good for 50-100 45acp, Not big enough for me. I run 4- 500 at a time. Good question tho!

Boats
10-14-2012, 08:22 AM
I'll enjoy the responses to this one also. But I run an 18 pound capacity Chicago Electric vibratory, due to the large amounts of shells I clean (yup, still hoarding, prepping or whatever you call it). I'm thinking the sonic system might be good for 50-100 45acp, Not big enough for me. I run 4- 500 at a time. Good question tho!

Not sure what your ideal price point is, but this Hornady ultrasonic cleaner (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/344021/hornady-lock-n-load-magnum-sonic-cleaner-ultrasonic-case-cleaner-stainless-steel-110-volt) will hold 400 .223 rounds at a time. I suspect that means 500 .45 rounds.

It's a real beast. But if I'm going to put out that kind of money, I want to know that it's not going to quit on me a year later.

Nobody using these things?

Riverpigusmc
10-14-2012, 02:05 PM

My 2nd wife ran one of those too. Never went to the range though :D

Boats
10-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Hey! This isn't The Joker Room :)

Roverron
10-14-2012, 06:46 PM

Now that's funny

douglas_knott
10-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Lol only our buddy Mike....

I actually think Hoss has a sonic cleaner. I'll text him.

DaFadda
10-19-2012, 03:45 PM
yaknow... MPrimo in Connecticut has one. try PM'g him

Golden1911
12-27-2012, 07:26 PM
I just received a Hornady Magnum cleaner as a gift for Christmas. Cleaned a bunch of pre-tumbled and deprimed brass with it. Did a great job of cleaning out the primer pockets and the inside of the brass. The brass still retained it's shine from the tumbler. Think I'm still going to tumble, deprime, and then use the sonic cleaner. It only takes 25 minutes in the cleaner to do its job but then you have to lay everything out to dry. It's pretty noisy, first time I turned it on it scared the crap out of me. I shut it off real fast kind of sounds like sparks were flying out of the tank.

Boats
12-27-2012, 07:47 PM
I just received a Hornady Magnum cleaner as a gift for Christmas. Cleaned a bunch of pre-tumbled and deprimed brass with it. Did a great job of cleaning out the primer pockets and the inside of the brass. The brass still retained it's shine from the tumbler. Think I'm still going to tumble, deprime, and then use the sonic cleaner. It only takes 25 minutes in the cleaner to do its job but then you have to lay everything out to dry. It's pretty noisy, first time I turned it on it scared the crap out of me. I shut it off real fast kind of sounds like sparks were flying out of the tank.

Been a while since the original post, and I appreciate all the answers, even the ones that had nothing but funny content.

I've decided to stick with my tumbler because it works fine, does a few hundred 45 brass at a time, and is pretty cheap.

The fancy stuff just has more to break, and I can't see that it makes me more efficient or the brass more clean.

Boats