PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 Rem SPC build

Grizzman
05-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Here are the details on the 6.8 SPC I've just finished.

Upper details:

MEGA forged receiver
Bison Armory 16" mid length recon profile barrel finished in black Gun Kote
LMT standard full auto bolt carrier group
LMT enhanced bolt
Daniel Defense Lite Rail 10.0
Magpul XTM rail covers
Vltor low profile gas block
BCM Gunfighter w/ medium latch
Primary Weapon Systems FSC30 compensator/flash hider
Aimpoint CompML3 in a Larue LT129 QD mount
Troy M4 BUIS
Gear Sector 1913 sling swivel mount
Surefire M951 w/ Malkoff M61 LED assembly

Lower Details:

Mega forged receiver
Vltor buffer tube
Spikes ST-T2 buffer
Superior Shooting Systems buffer spring
Noveske QD Swivel end plate
G&R Tactical lower parts kit
Bill Springfield modded fire control group
Magpul UBR
Larue Harris BRM-s / LT706 mount combo

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Firearms/PICT0067.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Firearms/PICT0064-1.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Firearms/PICT0071.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Firearms/Lightandfrontsightclosup.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Firearms/Pressureswitchandslingmountcloseup.jpg

I've had it to the range several times, and it runs very nicely. I still need a magnified optic for hunting. I probably won't pick one out till summer.

I plan to work up a handload with Barnes 95 grain TTSX for hunting and barrier penetration. For softer targets I guess I'll use Sierra 110 grain Pro-Hunters. I'll probably use Reloder 10X for both.

Grizz

NAMVET72
05-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Great looking 6.8 Rem SPC, how long did it take to Build It?????

Clyde

Grizzman
05-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks.

I ordered the first upper part on April 29, and the last on May 17th.

I won't be too surprised if I end up with all of the lower parts before the barrel shows up.

Grizz

jmlutz
05-28-2011, 03:01 PM
That's going to be a fine AR:) Mike

Thedragonslayer
05-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Very nice Grizz!!! Look forward to seeing it finished and ready to shoot!:)

wxl
05-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Grizz

Great build. Bison suppose to have great barrels. Guess their specs is the SPCII chamber, 1/11 twist 4 groove?

I have a YHM 16" barrel upper SPCII but the faster 1/10" twist but wanted one for hunting with a slower twist. Just picked up a second hand upper with the 18" Bison SPCII 1/11" 4 twist (have not shot it yet) to see how much velocity gain I can get over the YHM barrel with my reloads.

Grizzman
05-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes, their website says SPCII 1:11 4 groove for the recon profile barrels.

They state in their FAQ that the velocity gain in their barrels from 16 to 18" is approximately 50 fps.

Since I handload, I should be able to get good velocity if I use powder of the right burning rate, and it'll be fun finding that powder.

Grizz

wxl
05-29-2011, 01:01 AM
There are not alot of recipes in the books. Most of those were for the original SPC Remington and are low powered. The SPCII allows higher pressure and I think SSA and Hornady are the only ones loading for the SPCII (SSA loads both standard and the hotter Tac loads). There are probably only 4 companies loading 6.8.
Also there are brass with large primers and small, general conscensus is the small primer case handles pressure better.

If you have not checked, there is a great forum (Home of the 6.8) that has a ton of info. Kind of the pioneers who took the original spec to the improved and tons of load development with all kinds of powders, etc.

Grizzman
05-29-2011, 02:54 AM
My plan was to use the books for only a basis for powder recommendation. I plan to ignore the upper limits and work off of velocities and pressure signs. It's not an ideal situation, but it'll work fine.

I also have a subscription to loaddata.com, which may have data not contained in the standard manuals. I just bought some H335 today (haven't found any Alliant 10X in a store yet), and still need to order some bullets online. The two stores I've been in haven't stocked a bullet fully appropriate to the 6.8 SPC.

Even if I don't reach the capabilities of the cartridge, It'll far surpass anything the 5.56 is capable of achieving.

Forgot to add, I'm a member of the 6.8 forum, but haven't spent very much time there.........yet.

Grizz

jmlutz
05-29-2011, 04:50 AM
Good Luck with with the rest of your build, that's going to be a BadAss AR:) Mike

Grizzman
06-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Here's an update. The BCM receiver extension, castle nut, and Magpul Miad arrived in the mail today.

The Superior Shooting Systems CS buffer and magazine springs have been ordered and are in the mail.

I just received an e-mail telling me that LMT shipped out the SOPMPOD.

I'm down to ordering an LPK and lower receiver, which I won't do till the barrel shows up.

Come on Bison.......you're holding up the show.

Grizz

Grizzman
06-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Here's another update on my build:

UPS attempted to deliver the barrel last Friday while I was out of town on business. Looks like I'll work from home on Monday so I can receive it. It's a win-win to me.

I just ordered a 2 MOA Aimpoint CompML3 in a LaRue LT-129 cantilever mount that I'll use as the primary optic. I also ordered an LT-707 in-line mount for the Surefire 6P LED.

I plan to put the first rounds through it next weekend. :rock:

Grizz

Thedragonslayer
06-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Look forward to seeing the range report!!

Very nice build!:rock:

noel

Grizzman
06-22-2011, 12:00 AM
I assembled the upper this evening. Everything went together without issues.

So far the only negative comment I can make is regarding the barrel's Gun Kote finish, which is already showing slight wear.

As this was only a $40 option to get around a shiny barrel it's just fine. Having this be the only negative aspect means I'm very happy so far.

If it gets looking too ratty, I'll just have Dave Hard Hat it. (just kidding.....maybe)

I should post an initial range report on Sunday.

Grizz

Hoss in IL
06-22-2011, 12:27 AM
Man Grizz, that is a sharp looking rifle. I've only read a few articles on the 6.8 so I basically don't know anything serious about it but I bet you could make some hellacious watermelon splatter at 300 yards!

You've got good patience. I hate waiting for stuff to arrive. It takes me long enough to save up the cash to get stuff and then shipping time kills me. I'm waiting on my reloading set up from Brownell's and it's only been two days :eek:

By the way, my gas key hasn't come un-staked yet :D. Thanks again for letting me use it.

Take care.

Southpawmark
06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Nice, very nice! Was originally considering the LMT 6.8, but decided on their 308MWS which should arrive shortly.

allrockabilly
06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Very nice I can't wait for the final pics when you have it all complete.

I would love to do a build like yours some day but like Hoss I am Also a little impatient sometimes plus I still have a lot to learn. I have been looking into possibly getting a 6.8 Rem SPC upper for my Stag Arms model2. But for the prices I am seeing for a nice upper I could start saving and put that towards my own build or even another "OK" AR (I'm also looking into a 308 :rolleyes: I sure would like an LMT308).

I've learned a lot just since I bought my Stag and am now trying to decide if I want to put more money into my Stag model 2 or start over with a better platform. :confused:
My Stag Arms model 2 is pretty much stock as far as internals. I have just added and replaced most of the basics with all MagPul MOE (I really want to float the barrel and put a nice free floating quad rail in and replace the front sight post with a low profile gas block so I can use flip up BUIS)

Let us know how you like that Aimpoint with LaRue mount. I am using a basic L3 EoTech 512 but I have been looking at others I might switch too when I get or build a new rifle. I do like EoTech's though I might just drop some money on the 3x or 4x magnifier with flip to side mount.

Anyways excellent build you have going on there. I am definitely jealous. I sure could learn a lot from you Grizz and of course the other members of the COTEP family.

Again very nice,

-Ryan S

Grizzman
06-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Here are some quick photos of the complete upper sitting on my old DPMS lower, with a mini comparison of the SOPMOD vs the E-Mod. Once I receive the Aimpoint, I'll take a few additional photos and will type up a review of it.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Firearms/PICT0047.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Firearms/PICT0044.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Firearms/PICT0046.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Firearms/PICT0045.jpg

As I've also got a Vltor E-Mod, I'll compare the two against each other.

The cheekweld of the two stocks are both very similar (and very nice), and I'd have a hard time choosing one over the other. I'd heard of individuals complaining of the E-Mod grabbing facial hair, but since I don't have a beard I can't comment on that directly.

I prefer the storage compartments of the E-Mod over the SOPMOD. In order to access the battery storage of the SOPMOD, the stock must be removed from the extension. The lower compartment of the E-Mod is beneficial for lube, ear plugs, and other small items.

The E-Mod is a little longer in the recoil pad area, and the toe is curved downward which gives it a slightly different feel when shouldering it.

The one area where the SOPMOD is superior to the E-Mod is in the lockup department. In the 3rd position of the Vltor 5 position extension, the SOPMOD exhibits almost no movement. The SOPMOD stock on a BCM 6 position extension fits very snugly, to the point of significant effort being required to slide it from position to position. Once in position, almost no movement is noticed. The E-Mod stock moves more than the SOPMOD on both extensions, but it's not enough to cause any concern.

The length of the E-Mod is 7 3/4" along the top edge, and the SOPMOD is 7 3/8" in length. If you typically run your AR in more of a nose to charging handle position, the extra length of the E-Mod may be a small benefit.

I've very happy with both stocks and would have a hard time choosing one over the other. I may add side by side pics of both if anyone's interested.

Grizz

Grizzman
06-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Man Grizz, that is a sharp looking rifle. I've only read a few articles on the 6.8 so I basically don't know anything serious about it but I bet you could make some hellacious watermelon splatter at 300 yards!

The 6.8 in a spec 2 chamber should be able to launch a .277 110 grain bullet at up to 2700 fps. This will deliver about 1250 foot lbs of energy at 200 yards, 1000 at 300, and 800 at 400 according, to my Sierra software......great splatter indeed!!

After I've put the first 100 rounds through the barrel, I'll start my load development, including chronoing the speeds I'm getting.

Grizz

Grizzman
06-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Nice, very nice! Was originally considering the LMT 6.8, but decided on their 308MWS which should arrive shortly.

Nice choice!!

Grizz

allrockabilly
06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Wow :eek: yes I am drooling that is something I would just dream about having one day.

Very nice choices and good work in the build. That thing looks sweet. That makes my Stag look like a toy.

-Ryan S

Grizzman
06-22-2011, 08:31 PM
I just added up the parts for the first time. The price ended up within $25 (including shipping) of a BCM complete upper with hammer forged barrel (after the BCG and CH is added to the BCM).

Unless a person wanted to build it for the experience (or wants a non 5.56 barrel), building a higher end upper really won't save any money. Finding the exact barrel length, hand guard, gas system length, etc in stock may take a little searching/waiting but it's possible to find it.

There are a lot of people that believe that all lowers that are within spec are pretty much equal, and I'm one of them. If I had a Stag lower, I'd have no problem putting a top shelf upper on it. I've read that a lot of builders use Stag LPKs, so the small parts should be GTG. As long as the buffer tube is mil spec, it'll accept any of the better buttstocks. Naturally, it'll also accept my favorite stock, the UBR.

There are also those that believe it doesn't make sense to build a high end rifle with mid grade receivers, but a lot of that may stem from people that are overly "brand" conscience.

After I've put my final 1,000 - 1250 loaded rounds through my 223, I'll have no issue with screwing a new BCM, White Oak, Noveske, etc barrel into it, replacing the BCG with a full auto BCM or LMT unit, adding a FF quad rail, and running my lowly 13 year old DPMS for another 5-10K rounds.

Grizz

allrockabilly
06-23-2011, 06:32 PM
I just added up the parts for the first time. The price ended up within $25 (including shipping) of a BCM complete upper with hammer forged barrel (after the BCG and CH is added to the BCM).

Unless a person wanted to build it for the experience (or wants a non 5.56 barrel), building a higher end upper really won't save any money. Finding the exact barrel length, hand guard, gas system length, etc in stock may take a little searching/waiting but it's possible to find it.

There are a lot of people that believe that all lowers that are within spec are pretty much equal, and I'm one of them. If I had a Stag lower, I'd have no problem putting a top shelf upper on it. I've read that a lot of builders use Stag LPKs, so the small parts should be GTG. As long as the buffer tube is mil spec, it'll accept any of the better buttstocks. Naturally, it'll also accept my favorite stock, the UBR.

There are also those that believe it doesn't make sense to build a high end rifle with mid grade receivers, but a lot of that may stem from people that are overly "brand" conscience.

After I've put my final 1,000 - 1250 loaded rounds through my 223, I'll have no issue with screwing a new BCM, White Oak, Noveske, etc barrel into it, replacing the BCG with a BCM or LMT, adding a FF quad rail, and running my lowly 10 year old DPMS for another 5-10K rounds.

Grizz

Thanks for that post, helps a lot.

-Ryan S

Grizzman
06-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Here are my initial impressions of the Aimpoint CompML3.

I've only tried it in my house and yard so far, but it seems like it'll end up working very well in most situations. If I run into a short/medium range situation in which it isn't suitable, I've got the BUIS.

I bought the LaRue cantilever mount in case I end up getting a 3X magnifier. I doubt I'd pony up $550 + for an Aimpoint 3XMag, but a Vortex VMX3 does have some appeal. If I end up not getting one, it works fine with the mount sitting in the current position.

I had some concern with possibly not being able to see the 2 MOA dot in sunny conditions, but it can't get much sunnier than it is right now, and it works great as long as I crank the brightness up. The flare at this point is not bothersome.

Here are a few more photos:

I threw the Glock 23 in there to keep the tupperware lovers happy. :)

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Firearms/PICT0053.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Firearms/PICT0054.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/thegrizzman/Firearms/PICT0054.jpg

Grizz

allrockabilly
06-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Very nice. Thanks for the pics. It looks good.

I have also thought about getting one of the VMX3's from Vortex to go with my EoTech but I still am not sure. Yea the $550 that EoTech wants for there magnifiers is high too. I have seen one in person (the new generation) and it is nice but $500 to $550 is a little well umm steep.

Anyways very nice setup. Are you still waiting on any parts or are you going to try the rifle out soon?

Again very nice - well atleast the rifle that is, the tupperware almost ruined it. :} J/K

Thanks again.

-Ryan S

Grizzman
06-25-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm now completely done with the upper.

I'll probably order an LPK next week. As soon as that comes in, I might as well order the lower receiver, which is the last component I'll need to finish off the build.

I took it to the range today so I could zero the optic and BUIS and perform function checks. I also brought my 223 upper so I could compare recoil, dot re-acquisition speed, etc. I've got a recoil shy friend, and she may actually like shooting it.

It shot really well, and there were no surprises. After the zero was confirmed, I decided to fire a couple of groups just to see how well the Aimpoint will let me shoot. It worked as well as I could have expected.

For the photo of the completed rifle, I'll choose some better props.

Grizz

allrockabilly
06-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Sweet well I am sure you will be very pleased when you are all complete. I'm sure it fires nice as is.

I think I might hit the range tomorrow. My AR hasn't been fired in a while. Outdoor ranges for me to shoot my rifles are a nice drive from where I live. I usually drive out to Lake City shooting range but I heard Parma woods is a little closer and is pretty nice. I'll see how I feel tomorrow maybe I will just go to the indoor range and put some more rounds down the pipe of my new CCO and maybe my other DW's.

I really need to buy the parts and go ahead and get a FF quad rail installed on my AR but that means I have to remove the front sight post, D-ring and barrel nut (Am I leaving anything out :confused: ). I just want to make sure I don't mess something up (mainly with the gas tube). I haven't really messed around to much on AR's. But I'm sure it's not that hard.

Anyways I'm still jealous of your new upper. Congrats.

-Rayn S.

Grizzman
06-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Parma Woods is only a small step down from the new Lake City range. I went to Parma today.,

It's really not too hard to do. The sight tower is just kept in place with taper pins. Brownell's sells a polymer block that's supposed to make it easier to drive them out.

Do you plan to install a low profile gas block, cut off the site tower above the gas block to make it low profile, or re-install the sight tower after the quad rail's installed?

All that's likely needed is:

Remove the existing 2-piece hand guards
remove the muzzle device (hope it's not pinned)
drive out the site tower pins to slide it off
unscrew the barrel nut.

There's no real reason to remove the gas tube from the gas block if you'll be putting it right back on. By D-Ring, are you referring to the sling mount?

There are also options like the Daniel Defense Omega that don't require any changes to be made to the rifle. I don't have any experience with them....I've just read some info.

Grizz

allrockabilly
06-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Parma Woods is only a small step down from the new Lake City range. I went to Parma today.,

It's really not too hard to do. The sight tower is just kept in place with taper pins. Brownell's sells a polymer block that's supposed to make it easier to drive them out.

Do you plan to install a low profile gas block, cut off the site tower above the gas block to make it low profile, or re-install the sight tower after the quad rail's installed?

All that's likely needed is:

Remove the existing 2-piece hand guards
remove the muzzle device (hope it's not pinned)
drive out the site tower pins to slide it off
unscrew the barrel nut.

There's no real reason to remove the gas tube from the gas block if you'll be putting it right back on. By D-Ring, are you referring to the sling mount?

There are also options like the Daniel Defense Omega that don't require any changes to be made to the rifle. I don't have any experience with them....I've just read some info.

Grizz

By D-Ring I'm talking about the Delta Ring that holds the standard 2 piece hand guards in place. (you have to push down on the delta ring to install or uninstall the 2 piece hand guards). The Delta ring is the barrel nut I believe in my case.
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ForearmTool3.jpg

I have watched videos and read about the Daniel Defense and other systems that are basically drop in "free float" quad rail systems but I am looking to do a true free floating quad rail. I believe you pretty much just take the existing
Delta Ring / barrel nut and replace the existing barrel nut with a threaded one then the true free float one piece hand guards are actually screwed/turned (threaded) in place. Then you reinstall the Gas Block / front sight post in my case. I think that the front fixed sight post is the gas block on my rifle. But I might go with a low profile gas block that has the picatinny rail on it so I can mount flip up BUIS. Something similar to this =
http://spinstage.http.internapcdn.net/Spinstage/userdocs/skus/p_452000068_1.jpg

O yea and my barrel is threaded so my compensator / flash hider is not pinned in, so that's one good thing.

All in all I think it will be pretty simple to do just as long as I get the right tools to do the job. I have looked into that polymer tool that helps you tap out the pins that are holding the front sight post on (That might come in handy) I have some punches that I think will do the job. I replaced my stock Trigger guard with a MagPul advanced trigger guard and the punch looks similar in size to the front sight post but I can get punches easily. I do need to get a barrel nut wrench tool (whatever it's called :rolleyes:).

At this point I am making it sound way harder than it probably is I just need to get the parts and just do it. I have watched so many videos of how to do this that I am sure I can get the job done.

Here is a link to a quick YouTube video that shows a guy from MidwayUSA installing a FF tube =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryr0wZ71Hg

That is pretty much what I am looking to do but instead of a plain tube style hand guard I will be installing a quad rail. There are some many different brands out there now and some are different when it comes to installing them.

Anyways now I might just be confusing people, so that's about it.

-Remove 2 piece hand guards.
-Remove compensator / Flash hider.
-Remove pins holding the front sight post in place
-Remove front sight post.
-Remove Delta ring. With AR tool or barrel nut wrench.?

-Install new threaded barrel nut. This is what my new FF hand guard will screw & lock on to.
-Install new one piece FF hand guard.
-Reinstall / slide the front sight post back in place (if I don't install a new Low profile gas block) and put the pins back in.
-Reinstall the compensator / Flash hider.

I think that is the most of it in a nut shell. Some of that installation depends on which free float quad rail I go with, some have a different style barrel nut that I would have to use...etc and if I wanted to install the Low Profile gas block with the picatinny rails on top I would pretty much just install that instead of the old A2 style sight post.

Well I might Start ordering this stuff now. You have me thinking of my AR again. A couple of the LGS around KC have some nice FF quad rails but it might be cheaper if I order them. Plus I need to get a couple of those tools.

I will keep you posted, and I might even ask you some questions :D sorry this was such a long post.

Thanks,

-Ryan S

Grizzman
06-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Ah, D-Ring = Delta Ring assembly. Sorry, my bad.

Yep, you definitely have all the needed info. All that's left is to do it.

My complete 223 rifle was built during the ban period, which I believe is why it was so neutered. Although it's got a 16" barrel, the compensator is actually pinned/welded in place. Instead of taking it somewhere to have them remove the pin, I just bought a Yankee Hill drop in two piece quad rail.

If it weren't an under 1 MOA barrel (without being free floated) with my handloads, I would have scrapped it years ago.

Since the new week has started, I guess I'll order an LPK now. :) .................Done!

Does your AR have a rifle or carbine gas system?

Grizz

Grizzman
06-28-2011, 11:18 AM
I ordered a Mega forged lower receiver yesterday. The only dealer I could find that had inventory and didn't require a money order was T&A Armory out of CA.

Jason Steele sent them his FFL information last night.

I should have a complete rifle within a couple weeks.

Grizz

Grizzman
07-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I picked up the lower receiver from Jason today. He says lots of people have been buying stripped lowers through him lately.

The lower parts kit is supposed to arrive on Tuesday, so I'll take it to the range next weekend.

Grizz

allrockabilly
07-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I picked up the lower receiver from Jason today. He says lots of people have been buying stripped lowers through him lately.

The lower parts kit is supposed to arrive on Tuesday, so I'll take it to the range next weekend.

Grizz

Very nice can't wait to see it. I am sure you can't wait to have it completed.

allrockabilly
07-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Sorry I never replied to your last response to me, I have been busy this week but I did break down and made some upgrades To my AR. I went with the Daniel Defense Omega Quad rail and I dropped the money on a new EoTech 3x Magnifier. I went to the range today, not the best day it was HOT out there but the M4 shot excellent. I rezeroed my EoTech and the new expensive magnifier but I tell you the setup is excellent.
There are some things I need to upgrade still and add but it's getting there.

I will post a couple pics in a few.

Congrats on your build. I may have to build up a 6.8 upper once I'm done with my current setup.

-Ryan S

Grizzman
07-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I was at the Parma range this morning also, until a little after 11. I put another 25 rounds through the 6.8 upper and tried the modified op rod in the M1.

I saw your comment in the CBOB for sale thread, and figured you bought a free float rail of some kind. Wasn't quite expecting the 3X magnifier. What mount did you choose?

You should definitely post some pics.

Grizz

Sheepdog
07-02-2011, 11:00 AM
It is looking really good.:rock:

allrockabilly
07-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Again sorry been a little busy. I am not trying to hijack your thread or anything but here are some pics of the recent upgrades. I had the whole Magpul MOE kit (Foliage green) installed but I will be upgrading all the Foliage Green parts shortly to better black parts. Just want to go back to all black with upgraded parts. I will be ordering some stuff shortly like a new Butt Stock probably MagPul ACS, I really need a new rear BUS the existing back up iron sight (MI - Midwest Industries regular profile) is to big folded down to where the new Generation 2 EoTech magnifier won't work installed over it. I will probably get a Troy low profile rear BUS or the Low Profile MI BUS.

Well I could make a huge list of parts that I would love to order for my AR but I won't yet, I will be upgrading this gradually but I will be replacing the Butt stock, grip and the already installed MagPul advanced trigger Guard with a black aluminum one very soon and of course getting a new Rear low profile back up (flip up) sight.

Sorry the pics where taken with my cell phone and are not the best. The ones looking down through the EoTech and Magnifier really DO NOT do them justice.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/StagM2-ARDD3xmagn13.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/StagM2-ARDD3xmagn14.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/StagM2-ARDD3xmagn15.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/StagM2-ARDD3xmagn16.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/StagM2-ARDD3xmagn18.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/StagM2-ARDD3xmagn19.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/StagM2-ARDD3xmagn20.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/StagM2-ARDD3xmagn21.jpg

Well let's see how those turn out and if you want I will post you some pics of the other upgrades I will have coming soon.
The L3 EoTech G23 FTS (3x magnifier) is pretty damn expensive but it does come with the QD FTS mount (The QD FTS is made by Samson ARMS, it is very nice) the set up is really nice. I am very pleased. The only thing that kinda sucks is that I have a EoTech 512 with the buttons on the rear, now I wish I would have purchased a model with the buttons on the side but really it's now that big of a deal.

Sorry for posting such a big post in your thread but I figured I would show you the toys I just bought. I blame you anyways for getting me all fired up on upgrading my AR :D . Just kidding.

Thanks,
-Ryan S

Southpawmark
07-03-2011, 01:19 PM
I am considering buying the 6.8 SPC from LMT as i really like their products. But i have a question:

What caliber ammo can be fired from the 6.8 SPC?

Does anyone make a polymer magazine for the 6.8 SPC?

TIA

Grizzman
07-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Don't worry at all about hijacking the thread.

The camera in your cell phone is pretty impressive. I never would have guessed they were taken with a phone.

I've never used MI BUIS, but I can definitely recommend Troy.

As long as the Omega rail locks solidly onto the delta ring (and I'm sure it does), it looks to be a good solution, and really easily installed.

It may take a while, but it may be possible to trade your EoTech for one with the side buttons. Besides the upgrades you've mentioned, the only additional one I can think of is to mount a QD sling mount on the rail to completely take all external forces off the barrel. I've used MI, DD, GG&G, and Gear Sector with satisfactory results for all of them.

I'm glad you're getting your AR to the point where it's exactly like you want it, cause that's part of the AR's allure.

Grizzman
07-03-2011, 04:59 PM
I am considering buying the 6.8 SPC from LMT as i really like their products. But i have a question:

What caliber ammo can be fired from the 6.8 SPC?

Does anyone make a polymer magazine for the 6.8 SPC?

TIA

An LMT would be a nice choice.

6.8 Rem SPC ammo is still fairly limited, but it seems to be getting better each month.

Silver State Armory (SSA) offers the widest range of bullet options that I'm aware of. Remington and Hornady both offer a couple different options. I see that even Corbon offers a couple of options, one of which is a 115 grain subsonic load. If I'm going subsonic, I'd choose 130s over 115s.

As far as component bullets for handloading is concerned, the selection for .277 isn't quite as complete as it is for .264, but it's not bad. Any bullets for the .270 Winchester will work, but they're not ideal due to the velocity difference. The Sierra 110 grain Pro-Hunters I'm using for barrel break in seem to be working fine, though I haven't mounted a magnified scope on it to see how well they really do.

I picked up a box of 110 grain Nosler Accubonds from Bass Pro yesterday, and should receive a box of 110 grain Sierra MatchKings by Thursday. I also plan to pick up some Barnes TTSXs some time.

As far as I know, there aren't any polymer magazines offered for the 6.8. I've got two 25 round C-Products magazines so far, and they've been completely reliable. I've also had 100% reliability with their 308 mags.

Here's a thread I found on ARFCOM: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=501311 that may be useful. I still need to read it myself. I'm still in the market for a shorter 10 round mag for bench work, and I'm not sure at this point which one I'll try.

Grizz

Southpawmark
07-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Got the LMT 308MWSE coming hopefully later this week, it will have the same extras as the 5.56 did.

Will post pics when completed. Still pondering the thought on the 6.8 Congratulations on your build!

Grizzman
07-09-2011, 01:12 AM
The build is now 100% done, hopefully at least for a while. After a bunch of research, I ended up selecting a lower parts kit from G&R Tactical. I chose the option with the Magpul trigger guard an no trigger, hammer, and disconnector. The kit went in with no issues, and I ended up putting a Bill Springfield modded trigger group into it.

The Mega lower has a polymer tipped screw that presses against the upper to eliminate all movement between the two. It took a few minutes to get the pressure correct....too much and the rear pin won't move without a bullet or punch, and too little and there's noticeable wobble. I've got it set for zero play and moving the rear pin only requires a little extra pressure.

I've put 75 rounds through it so far, with the remaining 25 break in rounds to go down the tube tomorrow.

I loaded up 25 rounds with 115 grain SMKs over Reloder 10x tonight, which I'll try out in two or three weeks.

I bought a couple PRI 15 round magazines to try out for load evaluation sessions from the bench. I've never used a PRI mag before, but these will likely not be the last ones I buy. Not only are they significantly shorter than the C-Products 25 round mags (imagine that) they are obviously built to a higher standard.

The PRIs were a little over twice as expensive as the C-Products, so the higher quality wasn't a gimme. I just grabbed a C-Products 308 mag out of my closet, and it is welded in a completely different manner than the 6.8s. The 6.8s are spot welded, and the .308s seams are butt welded together and done with adequate precision. Unfortunately, the 15 round PRIs seem to be the cheapest option, with all others running about $10 more. I may end up getting a few of those if I find them on sale, since they look and feel different from my other aluminum AR mags. This isn't a big deal, since I primarily use P-Mags for the 223 and 308.

Since pretty much the only visual difference is the lower's roll mark, I didn't take any more photos.

I'll probably post the results of the first accuracy tests, and maybe a short comparison to my 308, which is likely a better competitor to it than my cheap(ish) 223. It really needs to cool off some. I don't like working up my handloads in 90 plus degree heat, and the increased pressure and lack of barrel cooling (and sweat) the heat causes.

Grizz

wxl
07-09-2011, 08:52 AM
The PRI mags are my favorite for the 6.8. They also allow the longest cartridge OAL for reloading.

Grizzman
07-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks for reminding me to mention the increased overall length. The maximum length in the C-Products mags is approxfimately 2.280". The PRIs should allow for 2.300", and that's another reason to only use one mag type.....don't want ammo that I can't use in half my magazines.

It really needs to cool off some. I don't like working up my handloads in 90 plus degree heat, and the increased pressure and lack of barrel cooling (and sweat) the heat causes.

I received a couple 25 round PRI magazines a couple days ago. They're built to the same standard as the 15 round magazines and are the exact same length as the C-Products 25 rounders (and also USGI 30 round 5.56 magazines).

Last night I went to put some ammo I loaded with Remington 115 grain FMJs to 2.300" OAL into one of the PRI 25 round magazines. They went in, but there was heavy bullet tip drag along the front face of the magazine. It took conscience effort to keep the top couple rounds pressed all the way back against the rear of the magazine, and the 2nd or 3rd round in needed to be forcibly snapped down past the front face of the mag. They might function in this manner, but it's not worth the extra care needed to load them. I shortened them to 2.290", and at that length, they loaded in more easliy and should function 100%.

Grizz

allrockabilly
07-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Just thought I would give you a quick update on what I have done with my M4. Well I traded my Stag Arms Model 2 for a New Daniel Defense DDM4 V4.
Love it. I have already put the MagPul MOE pistol grip, Stubby front vertical grip, BAD lever - Magpuls Battery assist lever (just got it, need to practice), Magpuls front and rear Gen 2 flip up Back up sights (I will eventually get Troy).
The rifle came with a Magpul MOE Buttstock, Magpul Edvanced trigger guard. Free floated DD Omega X 9.0 quad rail. DD low profile Gas Block...etc

Here is some pics. I do have some things I will do to it but this is excellent for now especially for a 5.56 M4.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/72ab1ead.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/bde40c9a.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/c37fb9d1.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/98c9ec33.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/b14e7609.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/87baf590.jpg

I will tell you more details on it soon but I got to run off to work.
Better pics to come. I am now trying to decide if I want to build or get a 6.8 SPC upper or get a .308 in an AR platform still now sure.

-Ryan S

Thedragonslayer
07-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Thats very nice looking!!! Congrats on the build!

Thedragonslayer
07-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Grizz, this is a great thread youve put together here. I havent had time to read the whole thing and I will correct that tonight. But Ive scanned thru it and the information is really helpful!

Thanks for the time and effort in this!:chopper:

TDS

Hoss in IL
07-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Grizz, I'm glad you got your rifle finished. I can't believe you don't want to go outside and shoot in 90% humidity :D

Nice rifle Ryan.

Grizzman
07-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Just thought I would give you a quick update on what I have done with my M4. Well I traded my Stag Arms Model 2 for a New Daniel Defense DDM4 V4.
Love it. I have already put the MagPul MOE pistol grip, Stubby front vertical grip, BAD lever - Magpuls Battery assist lever (just got it, need to practice), Magpuls front and rear Gen 2 flip up Back up sights (I will eventually get Troy).
The rifle came with a Magpul MOE Buttstock, Magpul Edvanced trigger guard. Free floated DD Omega X 9.0 quad rail. DD low profile Gas Block...etc

Here is some pics. I do have some things I will do to it but this is excellent for now especially for a 5.56 M4.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/72ab1ead.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/bde40c9a.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/c37fb9d1.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/98c9ec33.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/b14e7609.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/allrockabilly/My%20AR%20pics/87baf590.jpg

I will tell you more details on it soon but I got to run off to work.
Better pics to come. I am now trying to decide if I want to build or get a 6.8 SPC upper or get a .308 in an AR platform still now sure.

-Ryan S

Nice trade!! I was seriously considering using DD receivers, but couldn't find both and didn't want to wait for what could take months to track them down.

I've got other plans this weekend, but will be at Parma Woods the following weekend for a 6.8 vs .308 comparo. If anyone's interested in trying them out, let me know. I should be pretty easy to find.....I'll be the one wearing the COTEP shirt with a big stupid grin on my face from quality AR time. :)

Grizz

allrockabilly
07-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Grizz, I'm glad you got your rifle finished. I can't believe you don't want to go outside and shoot in 90% humidity :D

Nice rifle Ryan.

Thanks Hoss. I have some more plans for it but it is a nice very nice setup IMO.

Nice trade!! I was seriously considering using DD receivers, but couldn't find both and didn't want to wait for what could take months to track them down.

I've got other plans this weekend, but will be at Parma Woods the following weekend for a 6.8 vs .308 comparo. If anyone's interested in trying them out, let me know. I should be pretty easy to find.....I'll be the one wearing the COTEP shirt with a big stupid grin on my face from quality AR time. :)

Grizz

Well I might have to show up and check you out doing the comparison. Might help me make up my mind and I'm sure I will learn a lot.

I still might try and go out this weekend and put some more ammo down range and mess with my EoTech & Magnifer. I still have some zeroing in to do with the magnifier...

Would love to see the finished 6.8.

Thanks,

-Ryan S

Grizzman
07-15-2011, 11:07 AM
My previous Sunday plans aren't gonna be happening so that means.......range session!!

It's almost certain to happen at Parma Woods in Parkville. It's gonna be hot, so I plan to be there are 10 AM when they open.....with a range report to follow.

I'll take the chrono along, so I can get velocities. If anyone wants to shoot through it, you can.

Grizz

allrockabilly
07-15-2011, 07:14 PM
My previous Sunday plans aren't gonna be happening so that means.......range session!!

It's almost certain to happen at Parma Woods in Parkville. It's gonna be hot, so I plan to be there are 10 AM when they open.....with a range report to follow.

I'll take the chrono along, so I can get velocities. If anyone wants to shoot through it, you can.

Grizz

I am going to plan on being there :rock: just along as I don't get a trouble call from work. But I don't see work being an issue this weekend. I need to zero my new Daniel Defense M4 with my EoTech setup.

Sounds good, Thanks,

-Ryan S.

Anymore Local Kansas city based COTEP members??

Grizzman
09-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Today I finally shot some handloads through the Mega I made up with 115 grain Sierra Match Kings driven by Alliant Reloder 10x.

The first four 5 shot groups were pretty poor, averaging 2" or so. The last group fired (using 28.8 grains) went into 3/4" and showed absolutely no signs of over pressure. They were moving along at a little over 2600 fps average.

I'll make up some more right around this level, likely at 29.0 and 29.2 to try to beat the 28.8 result.

Grizz

allrockabilly
10-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Today I finally shot some handloads through the Mega I made up with 115 grain Sierra Match Kings driven by Alliant Reloder 10x.

The first four 5 shot groups were pretty poor, averaging 2" or so. The last group fired (using 28.8 grains) went into 3/4" and showed absolutely no signs of over pressure. They were moving along at a little over 2600 fps average.

I'll make up some more right around this level, likely at 29.0 and 29.2 to try to beat the 28.8 result.

Grizz

sounds awesome..

your 6.8 is really something. I am thinking of building a 6.8 upper for my Daniel Defense or I might go with what we were talking about and start work on a Bolt gun, Ive been thinking of a long range Bolt action laity :confused:

Grizzman
12-22-2011, 10:14 PM
With the exception of a sling, the 6.8 is now done. I installed the Surefire M951 weaponlight a couple days ago and the Magpul UBR earlier this evening.

I'll take some photos tomorrow......or not. I just remembered that I've got some Magpul XTM rail covers ordered. They should work out best on the 6.8 so it's not finished yet, and likely never will be. That's no surprise to me.

Grizz

Grizzman
12-28-2011, 05:00 PM
I put the latest photos in the original post, and changed it to the current specs.

I do like the Magpul XTM rail covers better than the Tango Down panels I'd been using. The TD covers slide off the front of the rail, so if something was mounted in front of them, it needed to be removed first. Their shorter length makes them more flexible.

I've attached the Surefire M951 weapon light. I installed a Malkoff Devices M61 LED module into it. It now puts out 260 lumens in a nice wide pattern with lots of spill. It's activated by a tape switch located at the support hand thumb position.

Grizz

Deleted
12-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Man that Surefire sure does look good, Great looking build:)

I'm ready to finish mine,but doesn't seem like the end is near anytime soon.

Ed

Grizzman
12-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks.

The cool thing about builds is that if you want to, they can stretch out for years.

Sometime when I'm bored (doesn't happen very often), I may actually try to photograph the light pattern it puts out. I'll compare it to my primary house gun that uses a Surefire 6P LED.

After I get a freefloat rail for my Palmetto State build I just finished, I'll probably put the M951 on there and put the Surefire E2D Defender on the 6.8. It's got a considerably tighter throw, perfect for outdoor use. It lights up the dual garage doors of my neighbor's house (40 yards distant), while the M951 illuminates the entire end of the house plus a fair bit more.