PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson take down?

SCORPIO
11-06-2012, 04:38 PM
OK, new guy here so don't beat me up too bad for this stupid question. I'm looking at the manual for my new to me RZ-10 and it shows using an allen wrench to remove the guide rod. On my gun, the end of the rod is knurled (sp?) with no wrench flats. So how do I remove the guide rod to take down the gun?
Also, they make reference to a bushing wrench, I don't have one of those. Where can I get one?
Thanks

NAMVET72
11-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Contact DW they will probably will send you a Manual for free.

Here is the Bushing Wrench I bought:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/barrel-tools/barrel-bushing-tools/can-t-mar-trade-1911-auto-bushing-wrench-prod391.aspx

Clyde

Snipersnest
11-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Bushing wrench can be bought from Brownell's, or Midway or just about any gun related store. Don't know about the guide rod, don't own a DW.

jmlutz
11-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Any allen wrench will work, it's no big deal. Generally I don't use bushing wrenches, my fingers work just fine. If you want a bushing wrench for free PM me your name and address, I'll send you one. The first time I took down my CCO was the only time I just had to have one. I've got several, feel free to ask:)
Mike

SCORPIO
11-06-2012, 05:50 PM
My guide rod appears to be solid on the end, unless there is a cap covering the allen socket. I'm mechanically inclined and have taken numerous guns apart, but this has me confused. Perhaps its 1911 ignorance.
Jmluts, I may take you up on the wrench. I want to see how difficult it is with just my fingers first.
Thank you again.

DaFadda
11-06-2012, 06:25 PM
+10 to what Mike says above. If you need a bushing wrench... PM me or him... I have several. But you should be able to move the bushing by hand. Just let someone know... THAT is what this forum is about, and why we all come here.

DaFadda

Grizzman
11-06-2012, 06:40 PM
There's a chance that the full length guide rod has been replaced with a GI style guide rod.

This may explain why the rod is solid with knurling and no place for a hex key to be inserted. Are you able to press what you call the guide rod inwards with your finger?

A photo wouldn't hurt, either. :)

Grizz

Riverpigusmc
11-06-2012, 06:41 PM
I don't own a DW, but the only way you'd need an allen on the guide rod is if it was a two piece...and if you can't see where the allen goes, it probably isn't..just try taking it down like a standard guide rod

Hoss in IL
11-06-2012, 06:41 PM
If it's a full length guide rod with no allen head on the end, which would mean it's a two piece guide rod, then you have a one piece full length guide rod.

Here's what I'd do to disassemble, if it was me.....

Flip you thumb safety off, check to make sure it's unloaded (magazine also removed), push the slide rearward until your slide stop lines up with the takedown notch in the slide, push your slide stop out, flip the pistol upside down, slide your slide forward and off of the frame (be sure to keep your recoil spring captured with your hand). Pull the rod and spring past the barrel link. With the spring pressure off the bushing, it's easy/easier to rotate the bushing with your thumb.

Hope that helps.

ETA: Just saw Grizz's post. He's right. Could have been replaced with a GI set up. If you can push the plunger in past the bushing with your finger, you don't have a full length guide rod. You can still take it apart like I described and not need a bushing wrench.

SCORPIO
11-06-2012, 07:52 PM
OK took off the slide and it is a one piece guide rod. Gun isn't dirty so I didn't take it down any further. NOW how do I get the @#$% slide stop back in? I can get it to go ALMOST all the way but then it hangs up. Do I need it aligned with the take down notch or the slide stop notch?

SCORPIO
11-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Never mind, got it. I just had to fiddle with the alignment on the take down notch and it pushed right in.

MajO
11-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Glad it worked out. With increased age has come some arthritis and neuropathy in my hands. I have found Alchemy's 1911 Disassembly tool to be a great help in taking down my 1911's. They have different sizes for different calibers and different thickness bushings, upon request.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGxF2OWoZCg

I have NO fiduciary interest in the company.

Best wishes.

SCORPIO
11-07-2012, 02:30 PM
I like that tool, it certainly is more robust than those little plastic wrenches.