http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r631/roverron6/Snapbucket/F4F86EC4.jpg

Boats
11-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks, Ron.

So true about courage.

Tom

Riverpigusmc
11-11-2012, 10:53 AM
My dad went ashore at Normandy. Lost him 2 years ago..Nov 3rd he would have been 90. Went on to be a Pro bowler, and never really talked about the war

NAMVET72
11-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks, Ron.

So true about courage.

Tom

I totally agree with what Tom Posted.

Many Combat Vets will not talk about what they went thru unless it is another Combat Vet, and if it is something that Hurt Them Deep Inside or a Loss of a Friend(Comrade In Arms) they will almost never talk about it.........

Clyde

Boats
11-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I totally agree with what Tom Posted.

Many Combat Vets will not talk about what they went thru unless it is another Combat Vet, and if it is something that Hurt Them Deep Inside or a Loss of a Friend(Comrade In Arms)............

Clyde
Doc, it also occurs to me that courage is not just about how you behave in war or when you're worried about whether you'll live or die.

It's about facing your inevitable fears in life head-on in any circumstance and doing the right thing no matter what.

Still, there's nothing so impressive as a SSAM who overcomes his or her fear in the heat of battle.

Tom

Dred
11-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks to all of our Veterans.

AutoMag
11-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Great post Ron!!

Clyde, you are correct my friend. When I asked my dad about the battles that he fought in he would tell me that he lost many friends and that he had seen things that he hopes that I never have to see. He would not really talk about the battles but he did love to talk about the weapons that he was in touch with.

He was my dad but most of all my best friend and he taught me so much in regards to handling and maintaining a weapon.

My dad died in 1984 and I still miss him everyday!!!Clyde

vmotorman
11-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Courage is a trait which today's children may never understand!

Fortunately, my kids have a grampa who has started to share his experiences as a young combat engineer in Viet Nam, a NCO in Korea, a 1SG in Hawaii and a SGM in Somalia.

Thanks dad and to all the veteran's, past & present!

SCORPIO
11-14-2012, 06:56 AM
My father is a Korea vet USAF, stationed in Seoul 1950-51. He has shared alot of his experiences with the family and I don't know how he dealt with it at the time.
Dad, I salute you!

JimF4M1s
11-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Vxxxxx

Roverron
11-14-2012, 10:58 AM
I could never share my three tours experiences with children. It would scare them and they wouldn't understand anyway. After 42 years I have told my wife of 44 years very little.
I still get together with two guys who were on boats with me. We don't talk about it when we are together. But we enjoy being together, knowing we'd do anything for each other.
Some things are just better left unsaid.

Jim, i'd only say one thing and that is if nothing else to make a video record of your experiences. At some point in their lives, your kids will want to know; I wish my dad had done that (it would have been just a written account) and my mom did do that (I treasure her video of her WWII experience) and now I'm sharing that with my sons and granddaughter.
Ron

Snipersnest
11-14-2012, 02:42 PM
My Dad never really talked about his experiences, but I did get bits and pieces listening to family members while growing up. The one story that stood out was when he was with the 3rd Armored Infantry. He was riding in a half-track with his comrades when a German tank approached them from the rear. The driver bailed out leaving everyone behind, and it was every man for himself. My Dad slipped out the side and ran for a high wall by a farm. He hopped the wall and landed in a huge pile of manure, where he remained hidden. He was the only survivor of the group. So, I guess literally speaking, if it weren't for a pile of sh!t, I wouldn't be here. When I got back from Nam, he asked me if I saw any action and I told him yes. We never spoke another word about it again, but he and I exchanged that "knowing look" when the news had reports of the war on the evening telecasts.