PDA

View Full Version : STI Spartan III Range Report

sdmc530
11-13-2012, 04:28 PM
So I finally got to the range today for the first time with my new STI Spartan III in .45.
I am very pleased with the gun. I was shooting some WWB 230gr and some 200gn Montana Gold loads. Both cycled very well and no FTF all afternoon. I put 150 rounds through the pistol and no issues that were not my doing.
Target was at 10 yards and it was a 8x11" paper target. New VZ grips are on the way stay tuned for my new shoes.

The good:
Had very good manageable recoil for such a little gun. This is my first Officer sized gun and was hard to get used to. The gun is very tight and shoots a little stiff but like my other STI will loosen as I shoot it more. I like a tight gun though. I will probably opt to carry this little fellow now because of its size.

The bad:
My shooting, always shoot right and low, no matter what.
I will need to buy another holster to carry it.
The shell ejection is kind of strange, it goes up and forward to the right. I am not sure if it supposed to but I have never had a gun expel shells forward.
The small gun requires a different hold. I have bigger hands so thumb over thumb does not work with a smaller gun because my thumb would cover the ejection port. Just need to practice.
I will install a metal MSH when I clean it tonight, hate plastic MSH.

OVERALL its a great gun, after I get better with it I will more than likely carry it for my full time weapon just because its so darn little for a 1911.

It was a great buy and its an STI...that speaks for itself.

NOTE: left target was first rounds, right target was second round....

DaFadda
11-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Thank you for the Range report Phil. I enjoy hearing about other's experiences with their new firearms, and chances are.... someone around here will eventually being looking at a Spartan for themselves.

Thanks again!
DaFadda

jmlutz
11-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Congratulations on the new pistol and thanks for the range report. I've only read good things about the STI pistols, I'm proud for you:)

Roverron
11-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Nice pistola......nice shooting, consistent at least.