PDA

View Full Version : So i am going back

Grouse
11-14-2012, 07:47 PM
I gave it a fair go, but i am going back to 30wt motor oil. I shot quite a bit from april to july this year. I tried using slide lubes on my pistols, I tried it on several guns in several ways.

Guns tried.
pm7
sig 225,
dan wesson guardian,
dan wesson valor,
hk usp
dan wesson pm7
smith 627 and 617

My biggest grip was that they dirtied up significantly faster, and as it was fired it caked on. With oil i can run about a 1000 rounds through a pistol in a range session. I started having failures at 200-rounds or less. Heck we got through about 20 today with the pm7 before it acted up.

Before i hear you did it wrong, hear me out. the first tim i applied the lube to a patch and wiped on a super thin layer as i would oil. the lube went on to think so i wiped it off with a dry one. I had issues with the guardian and pm7 first, then the 617 and the p225. failure to feed and extract. just super goey mess.

So i went on line and read a few forum posts on slide lubes. I then painted the lube on the rails with a fine artist brush. Along with major contact points. I worked like this the next 3-4 range sessions. having to use alot more scrubbing with a brush to get the goop out.

I went out last week for about 3 hours. ran about 300 rounds through the vbob, a bunch more through the 627, rugermkiii and 617. I started having issues after about a hundred rounds with all of them. I only had time to clean the valor, so i cleaned it and just went back to lubing it with 30wt.

Today i went out with Father Mike, we put my pm7, p225, guardian (I lubed it with motor oil this morning) 617 and 627 and vbob.

I put about 100 rounds through the p225,627 (plus 300 from last week) guardian and vbob today.
I spend significantly longer cleaning the everything but the valor and guardian. so much so that i realized why i disliked cleaning guns last spring.

I am going back to my time honored 30wt motor oil.

Riverpigusmc
11-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Try Wilson Combat's Ultima Lube Universal. Not as thick as grease, but stays put and doesn;t get all over your clothes when you carry. It's all I use now, except for a drop of Hoppes in front of the hammer

Grouse
11-14-2012, 08:52 PM
just saying that for near 200 year firearms have been oiled. i tried terta gun lube. i ended up with no end of extra work, mess and failures. i have yet to find anything that is as cost effective as 30wt motor oil. i have never has issues with motor oil on my clothes, or lint on my guns with oil. the last time i looked at my valor when it had lube on it, 8i thought it was a pistol shaped peach it was so fuzzy.

just my two cents. maybe some day i will get a hair up my but and try out kubes agaun.....um bad turn of phrase there. maybe some day i will revisit this issue and give them another fair shake. right now though i think i will stick to tradition.

Riverpigusmc
11-14-2012, 09:50 PM
just saying that for near 200 year firearms have been oiled. i tried terta gun lube. i ended up with no end of extra work, mess and failures. i have yet to find anything that is as cost effective as 30wt motor oil. i have never has issues with motor oil on my clothes, or lint on my guns with oil. the last time i looked at my valor when it had lube on it, 8i thought it was a pistol shaped peach it was so fuzzy.

just my two cents. maybe some day i will get a hair up my but and try out kubes agaun.....um bad turn of phrase there. maybe some day i will revisit this issue and give them another fair shake. right now though i think i will stick to tradition.

Okie. I'm just sayin' after 30 years of using Hoppes and LSA, I switched to this stuff and it works great for me. YMMV

Sheepdog
11-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Hopies and 3in1, worked for ever. I'm a snob I use synthetic motor oil.

Roverron
11-15-2012, 05:48 AM
I'm using Frog lube. Works great on my NH, my valor, colt, Wilson and RIA ...just my thoughts

Grouse
11-15-2012, 08:16 AM
No worries guys. I gave it a go, I was not impressed. They are all cleaned and oiled now...

DaFadda
11-15-2012, 08:43 AM
I too have a whoooooole bunch of lubes and oils around. Slipstream (I do like the grease), ATL synthetics, fp, shooters choice, Break free... you name it... I've probably tried it. Like Grouse, I've stepped back to old faithfuls. I clean with Hoppes9, on a really dirty barrel I'll use a bore scrub, and for lube I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic 0-15w with a touch of molycoat lubricant powder mixed in. It's an old mil formula originally made by K&G lubricants (Gunkote). Guns cycle smooth as silk. But then again... well made, CLEAN guns always should.

DaFadda