PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm in!

Dred
11-21-2012, 02:49 PM
After much lurking, anticipation and planning, I produced my first ten rounds this morning. I look forward to test firing tomorrow.

Setup:
Lee Challenger Breechlock Kit
Frankford Arsenal Sonic Cleaner, digi scale
Cheap Digi Calipers
Lee Breechlock Hand Press
AV Equipment Cart
RCBS Powder Trickler
Brass, Bullets, Primers & Powder

The 2 on the right are 1.22 & 1.225 COAL, so I get to use the bullet puller sooner than planned.

I settled on 1.25 COAL, 200 grain LSWC, 11.1 grains Accurate #7 & CCI LPP

I'm lik'n it

NAMVET72
11-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Let us know how they shoot and Welcome to Hobby of Reloading.........

Clyde

sdmc530
11-21-2012, 03:31 PM
You will love reloading, nice job. I have the same press and like it a lot.
Soot straight my friend and be squib free!

Boats
11-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Congrats! Like shooting and 1911's, reloading is addictive.

Like many have said before me, it may not save you money, but you will get a chance to shoot more! And shoot more interesting rounds.

Boats

titanse05
11-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Congrats on your first rounds! Let us know how they are at the range.

DaFadda
11-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Welcome to reloading!

Dred
11-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Well, no squibs But not by much.

I learned an important lesson. Seems that just because a reloading store has you working the counter, you are not automatically qualified to answer a newbies questions. That and Reloader #7 does NOT substitute for Accurate #7.

My first loads felt like 22lr and converted the vbob to single shot. I picked up a pound of W231 from a more convenient LGS to load for round 2.

So, I'll try try again.

Boats
11-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Well, no squibs But not by much.

I learned an important lesson. Seems that just because a reloading store has you working the counter, you are not automatically qualified to answer a newbies questions. That and Reloader #7 does NOT substitute for Accurate #7.

My first loads felt like 22lr and converted the vbob to single shot. I picked up a pound of W231 from a more convenient LGS to load for round 2.

So, I'll try try again.

Ummm... you did get your recipe from one of the reloading books, right?

Please tell me you did.

Boats

Dred
11-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Boats,

Yes. Picked right from Lee Manual at the Reloading shop. The same recipe is on the short list Lee provides with the die set.

I'm very confident that I produced rounds to spec (spent a semester in a machine shop ages ago). I believe my problem was accepting the counter guys assurance that he was providing me the Accurate #7 I selected from the spec sheets. [Chose it because I felt #7 recipes which consistently spec approx twice the mass would provide 1. visual ques of mischarge so obvious a blind caveman couldn't miss them, and, 2. Finer tunability using the logic that a .2 grain difference in charge is 2% of 10 grains but 4% of a 5 grain charge.]

What I didn't mention is that he also sent me home with 1k small rifle primers instead of the LPPs I requested. That cost me a 100 mile round trip across Houston to get rectified.

Everything I selected self service was correct - only the primers and powders had to be requested from behind the counter. I check my orders at drive-throughs staffed by 15yo's that have yet to develop a work ethic, but I'm still quite surprised an adult clerk at a shop which specializes in reloading equipment and supplies would make both of these errors in a single order. I'd have had big trouble if I'd loaded 11 grains of W231 behind the LSWCs on a salesman's advice that W231 was equivalent to Accurate #7 (the advice I got wasn't quite this dangerous, but it could have been).

I'm much more impressed by the cute lady that swapped my primers for the correct LPPs, but I will certainly be wary of "advice" from anyone with an unknown CV. FWIW, I bought the W231 from a shop 2 miles from the house. Next trip across town, I'll take the Reloader 7 powder back and give them a chance to make right. Thankfully, I don't need medical attention or a new pistol following this experience.

I live, so I learn.

titanse05
11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Rule #1 in reloading. Never take anyones word on anything and always doublecheck what components you are using.

Sheepdog
11-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Or ask Dave!

NAMVET72
12-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Rule #9.9999999 always buy more then One Reloading Manual...............

Clyde