PDA

View Full Version : East Alabama IDPA

DrHenley
06-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Yesterday, June 11 at East Alabama Gun Club near Crawford, AL.

I'm using a DW Panther
Mods:
Ed Brown Arched Mainspring Housing
Wilson Combat 13 Pound Recoil Spring
Kensight Defensive rear sight
Wilson Combat Tactical Mag Release

Ammo:
230 gr Lee Tumble Lube Round Nose
Trail Boss (max load)
Wolf primers
Mixed brass.

First I worked on reliability and running a clean match. I almost have that down. The reliability is there now. Three matches ago I had a nose dive using a CM Shooting Star Mag. Two matches in a row now without a single jam of any kind using Wilson Combat and Colt mags. The Colt mags have Wilson glue-on base pads.

No procedurals this time :rock:

Now I'm working on accuracy...when I get that down to my satisfaction, I'll start working on speed. Last two matches I was "Most Accurate Shooter" but this time I had one very bad stage. (long distance prone, I was shooting way low on all shots, and could not tell where I was hitting.)

Thedragonslayer
06-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Well Doc, glad the mags are working better for you! Thanks for the run down. We have several here who have expressed interest in IDPA (Like me) but have yet to take the plunge. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Oh, try to get someone to take pics, we like pics around here! :D

Have a great one,

Noel

DrHenley
06-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Here are pictures of two of the stages in the match.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18&stc=1&d=1307935506

You start with the gun on the seat of the pickup and your hands on the wheel.

1 - Fire three shots out of the passenger window at the target on the right
2 - Fire three shots out of the drivers side window at the target on the left
3 - Open the door and using the door as cover, fire three shots into the target on the left side of the barrels, and three shots into the target in the middle of the barrels.
4 - Run around the back of the truck and using the bed as cover, fire three shots at each of two targets on the right of the barrels.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19&stc=1&d=1307936239

Start with your hands on the mailbox and the gun holstered.

1 - Fire two shots at each of three targets on the right while moving. (in IDPA, you either have to be behind cover or moving whenever you are in the presence of un-neutralized threats.)
2 - Open the door and fire two shots at each of two targets
3 - Go to each of two rooms and fire two shots at each target encountered (I don't remember exactly how many in each room)

The target with the black hands on it is a "No-Shoot" (a friendly) You obviously get penalized if you shoot a No-Shoot. Some of the threats are almost completely obscured by No-Shoots.

Thedragonslayer
06-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Very cool Doc! Thanks for the pitures.

DrHenley
06-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Very cool Doc! Thanks for the pitures.

No prob...

I would encourage everyone to participate in IDPA. I think it is the greatest training tool available for defensive pistol. There is a huge emphasis on safe gun handling. While under pressure, you have to be constantly aware of where your muzzle is pointed, where your finger is, how many rounds you have in your gun, and whether there are threats present.

Race guns are not allowed. No optics, compensators, slide lightening, oversized release buttons, etc. allowed. The idea is to compete with the kind of gun you would actually carry or use in a home defense situation.

In other words, you don't need to have an expensive gun for IDPA. But you do need a reliable gun!

allrockabilly
06-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Nice run down,
Thank you for posting. I too have been interested in looking into IDPA and want to check it out. I just haven't jumped into it yet. Plus I am fairly new to the area that I live in now which is the Kansas City area. I need to find out some info on when and where they hold IDPA matches out here.

Anyways thank you for the post and pics. :rock:

-Ryan S

DrHenley
06-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I uploaded video of one of the stages to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH2uPRLpiv4

I'll put another stage up later.

DrHenley
06-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Here is the stage with the truck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPPsxAq2HUo

allrockabilly
06-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Nice,
Thank you for posting the videos,

-Ryan S

Deleted
06-15-2011, 10:31 PM
DrHenley,

I'm a member of EAGC and have been for 2 years, Alan is a class act:toast: I have yet to shoot a IDPA match there.

Glad to see a fellow COTEPer close by, maybe some day will get a chance to meet up and talk bad about Clyde:eek:

Ed

DrHenley
06-16-2011, 08:03 AM
USPSA, howdy!

I was active in IDPA a while back, but for several reasons I had to lay low a while. I recently started back with a vengeance. The primary reason I participate IDPA instead of USPSA is because the matches are on Saturday. Going to church on Sunday with my family takes priority over shooting matches...

But I think I like the IDPA format better. Plus, I think it's more my speed (as you can see from the video, some shooters just walk instead of running during the stage.)

I am also participating in the Ruger Rimfire matches (there is one this evening)

Deleted
06-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I plan on being at next month's IDPA match.

I got the e-mail from Mark about trying the rimfire matches on thursday evenings, it is hard for me to make them since i'm in Eufaula, if they are still holding one on the last saturday of the month i will be there.

DrHenley
06-17-2011, 12:08 PM
We had people showing up after the match started yesterday and we worked them in. Almost half the people showed up after 6:30. But it was a smaller crowd than when we did it on Saturday.

I don't think it would work to start later, I didn't get home until almost 9:30 Eastern

rduckwor
06-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Alan and crew run nice matches. IDPA is especially fun to shoot there. Come over and see us at Central AL for IDPA on the third Saturday of the month too. USPSA on the First Sunday over here.

We like new folks and will make sure you enjoy yourself.

I owe Alan a visit over there soon as it cools down a bit.

RMD

DrHenley
06-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Alan and crew run nice matches. IDPA is especially fun to shoot there. Come over and see us at Central AL for IDPA on the third Saturday of the month too.
RMD

Where is the Central AL range? I'm very interested!

Deleted
06-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Central Alabama Gun Club is close to Shorter (or in shorter) not to far from the dog track.

I shot in one match there last year, they run a real nice match over there and are a bunch of good guys.

rduckwor
06-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Take the Shorter exit off I85 and turn left onto Highway 80. Look for County Road 7 on the right side. Turn right onto 7 and follow it until it comes to a "T" intersection. Turn right and follow this road (County Road 2) about 1/2 mile to a large gray mailbox on the left. That's the drive. Get to the white house on the left you have gone about 1000 ft too far.

http://www.centralalabamagunclub.com/MAINPAGES/directions.htm

USPSA first Sunday every month at 10AM, IDPA third Saturday every month at 10AM.

We'll leave a light on for you.

RMD

DrHenley
07-09-2011, 03:29 PM
COTEP was well represented at today's East Alabama IDPA Match! And I think I found a new recruit...

Left to right: USPSA Shooter, Tigereye, DrHenley
http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=128

As you can see, I'm showing off my COTEP water bottle. :D

Deleted
07-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Today was my first IDPA match, I think i shot OK today.

It was nice meeting Dr.Henley and Tigereye.

I shot in the same squad as Dr.Henley and kept score a few times, and let me tell that Dr.Henley ran the first 5 stages clean didn't drop not one shot (all zero's) our sixth stage was thrown out due to a squads scoring error.

Sir it was a pleasure shooting with you today.

Ed

Tigereye
07-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Doc and Ed,
It was good to see you guys today. The stages were fun and I think we all went home with the same number of fingers and toes that came with us. Doc, I guess I'll see you on Thur. at rimfire.
Eric

DrHenley
07-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Yep it was great meeting some COTEP brothers in the flesh.

I hope to see both of y'all again Thursday for the Rimfire match. I'm working on getting my daughter and a friend of hers to come and compete.