PDA

View Full Version : Rolling your own

DrHenley
06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Back when components and ammo were scarce, I decided to start casting for my 45 ACP. I had already done some casting for my 45 Colt, so all I needed was a mold.

The Lee 230 gr Tumble Lube mold is what I went with. I have been getting most of my lead in the form of spent bullets from the local indoor range. They sell me a bucketful at scrap lead prices.

They ain't purty but they shoot mighty fine!

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=98

I basically use the recommended lubing procedure. Tumble lube once, size, then tumble lube again.

After a couple hundred rounds, there is some lead buildup in the grooves near the chamber. A Lewis Lead Remover makes short work of getting it all out.

I'm using a slightly harder mix this time, and I hope that will eliminate the buildup.

The load is 4.5 grains of Trail Boss, which puts me just above the minimum power for CDP class in IDPA. A 13 pound recoil spring is just right for 100% flawless operation (with the right mags)

Here is a loaded round next to a hardball round.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=99

The smaller diameter nose causes the bullet to hit the feed ramp at a little lower angle, which can cause nose dives in some magazines - like CM Shooting Star mags. In Wilson mags they feed perfectly though my DW Panther. In my Colt...not so much...

Dave Waits
06-14-2011, 05:22 PM
That's an awful light load Doc, wouldn't come near making Major. Especially if a 13 lb. spring handles it okay. IDPA must be going the way of IPSC and the rest.

DrHenley
06-14-2011, 06:07 PM
The CDP power floor is 165,000

For a 230 grain bullet, that would make the minimum velocity 717.4 fps - I'm running in the 720 fps range. with no signs of excess recoil. (cases don 't go far)

Now here's the question: Do I actually have the 13 pound spring on there, or did I take it off when I ran out of 200 grain bullets (original reason for the 13 pound spring)...:confused:

I'll have to double check that. It could possibly be a 16 pound spring. Whatever spring is on there is good though...

iGun
06-14-2011, 11:55 PM
An 18.5 lb spring is what works well with my 230 gr FMJ over 4.75 gr Titegroup.

DrHenley
06-29-2011, 08:08 AM
That's an awful light load Doc, wouldn't come near making Major.

Since I don't compete in USPSA, I just took your word for it, and didn't bother to it up. I was content in making the CDP power floor for IDPA, and not really concerned about not making "Major" in USPSA.

BUT...I was looking at the USPSA rules this morning, and in the rule book I found online, Major Power Factor is listed as 165.

The latest rule book I could find was dated 2008, so I don't know if that is still valid...But...

You get USPSA Power Factor by multiplying bullet weight in grains times velocity in fps then dividing by 1000 right?

230x720/1000=165.6 (which is more than 165 by my calculations :D )