PDA

View Full Version : ECO range report

SCORPIO
01-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Took my new ECO out for its first spin tonight. I was impressed with how smooth the gun is right out of the box. I ran about 75 rounds of hand loaded 230 gn RN over 8 gn of Unique. Only thing I noticed is that the POI is about two inches lower than POA at 15 yards off had. I checked my sights with a laser boresight and the sights are spot on with the laser at up to 60 feet. I wonder if this has to do with the ammo? I didn't have any store bought loads to try, next time I'll try some factory stuff. Grouping was great after I figured out where they were hitting. I ended up with a nice ragged hole when I was done. I'm going to make the ECO my EDC so more range time is coming soon.
I seem to have trouble with short sight radius 3 and 3.5" barrels. My Sig P250SC 40cal is short and I have a tendency to dip the muzzel. I don't do that on longer barrels. I've got to work on that I suppose. Up shot is that means more practice, which means I get to shoot more :) Could be worse.

skosh69
01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Cool beans!!! Next time we need pics of a "dirty ECO"....hint hint :D

ratpatrol
01-21-2013, 11:24 AM
They are great pistols! I've played with mine, 500+/- rounds and have no gripes. As for your POI vs POA....try hitting the 75 or 100m target. I spent a full box playing at long distance and found that elevating the pistol 6' caused the round to hit the target which gave me some good insight into how the round archs in flight and bullet drop. I did this for too reasons, one already mentioned, the other because I elk hunt with a 45/70 lever action.

Most IMPORTANTLY....make sure your range is safe for elevating the pistol to 6'. We, as a community, have had enough bad press as of late

SCORPIO
01-21-2013, 11:42 AM
I probablly won't shoot this pistol at distances over 25 yards. A short barrel really isn't designed for it and I doubt I'd have much accuracy anyway. For longer distance shooting, I prefer my other Dan Wessons, the revolvers. My 7445 Supermag with 10 VH barrel and 2-6X scope is great at 100 yards. :)

Boats
01-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Nice report! But

:pics:

:D

Boats

Damon216
07-10-2013, 11:45 AM
I just picked up the ECO in 45 and will give a report (and pics) shortly. Mine shot low... really low. I am talking about 6" at 7 yards. My second trip to the range concluded it was the shooter (me). My first time shooting a 1911 and am muscling the trigger and nose diving the barrel (I normally shoot a DA GP-100).

With some conscious trigger training and having a POA about 2" above the bulls eye put shoots dead center. I would like to get a lower front site...Anyone suggest and aftermarket site?

Took my new ECO out for its first spin tonight. I was impressed with how smooth the gun is right out of the box. I ran about 75 rounds of hand loaded 230 gn RN over 8 gn of Unique. Only thing I noticed is that the POI is about two inches lower than POA at 15 yards off had. I checked my sights with a laser boresight and the sights are spot on with the laser at up to 60 feet. I wonder if this has to do with the ammo? I didn't have any store bought loads to try, next time I'll try some factory stuff. Grouping was great after I figured out where they were hitting. I ended up with a nice ragged hole when I was done. I'm going to make the ECO my EDC so more range time is coming soon.
I seem to have trouble with short sight radius 3 and 3.5" barrels. My Sig P250SC 40cal is short and I have a tendency to dip the muzzel. I don't do that on longer barrels. I've got to work on that I suppose. Up shot is that means more practice, which means I get to shoot more :) Could be worse.

Riverpigusmc
07-10-2013, 08:22 PM
I just picked up the ECO in 45 and will give a report (and pics) shortly. Mine shot low... really low. I am talking about 6" at 7 yards. My second trip to the range concluded it was the shooter (me). My first time shooting a 1911 and am muscling the trigger and nose diving the barrel (I normally shoot a DA GP-100).

With some conscious trigger training and having a POA about 2" above the bulls eye put shoots dead center. I would like to get a lower front site...Anyone suggest and aftermarket site?

Sounds like recoil anticipation..pretty common with someone new to 1911's. My Wilson is zeroed at 50 yards, so at 25 it shoots about 2" high...before you change your sights, talk to Dave Waits here...

skosh69
07-11-2013, 01:04 AM

Whoa...stop....hold on a sec. You want to change your sights because you're not shooting bullseye's with your first 1911 which also happens to be a 3 inch model, the hardest to shoot out of all of them? You shot really low the first time out and second time out you're a bit high.

Buy more ammo and learn to shoot it before even thinking of changing the sights!!!

DaFadda
07-11-2013, 06:44 AM
No Pictures????? Didn't happen! Send us dirty gun pictures! LOL.... I'd agree with an earlier post. Get used to the gun before you even think about changing the sights.

DaFadda

skosh69
07-11-2013, 08:10 PM

Here's a helpful tool to diagnose your shooting...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/shooterswheel.gif (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/skosh1/media/shooterswheel.gif.html)

Damon216
07-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Pics coming -

I really like the looks of this gun! ECO is gorgeous!

No Pictures????? Didn't happen! Send us dirty gun pictures! LOL.... I'd agree with an earlier post. Get used to the gun before you even think about changing the sights.

DaFadda

Grizzman
10-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Where are the pics?

I'm gonna be ready for a new nice 1911 (and a Rock) by the end of the year, and am considering an ECO.

Grizz

titanse05
10-16-2013, 06:34 PM
My EDC is my ECO and it is my favorite pistol. It is a great value for what it has (which is everything). Mine shoots where I point it and looks great.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Grizzman
10-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

There was one at a LGS today, but it was a blem and a 9mm.

ratpatrol
10-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Save for the .45 variant. Mine is a dream to shoot and on par with my EB with respect to fit and finish.

Grizzman
10-17-2013, 10:10 PM
I didn't even ask to pick it up.

Any 9mm I get in the 1911 platform needs to have a number larger than 19 after the X. :)

In my opinion, DW shouldn't be selling blems, and I'm not going to support the business practice. The shop also had a non-treated Valor next to the ECO, also a blem. I've probably seen as many blems in that shop as perfect examples.

I'm still leaning heavily towards an ECO, but I still haven't shot a VBOB.

DrHenley
10-18-2013, 07:52 AM
What's the street price on the ECO? That MSRP is outrageous. My Sig Ultra Carry was half that price!

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=98&pictureid=593

Grizzman
10-18-2013, 01:43 PM
I expect to be able to pick one up for around $1500 or so, which sounds like a steal to me (for Wilson quality).

I've had bad luck with Sigs from a reliability perspective, so won't go down that road again any time soon.

Grizz

titanse05
10-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Yeah Sigs are half the price because they are half the gun that the ECO is.

I picked mine up used for $1200. It was like new and I purchased it from a nice gentleman that was ex-military and was only selling because he needed the money for family issues. Best money I ever spent.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

ratpatrol
10-21-2013, 05:58 PM
I paid around $1500 new for mine last year. Current demand seems to be driving DW up like crazy. Check Gunbroker to get an initial idea. Also look at the Blemish variants for a little less money.

DrHenley
10-21-2013, 10:42 PM
I've had bad luck with Sigs from a reliability perspective, so won't go down that road again any time soon.

The Ultra Carry is the most reliable pistol I've ever owned. The very first round failed to go into battery all the way when I dropped the slide, but after that I've never had a single malfunction of any kind. It feeds every type of bullet in every brand of mag flawlessly.

I even loaded a bullet backwards in a dummy round to see if it would feed it...and it DID!.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2hSmSOJMwE