PDA

View Full Version : Future of DW in NY?

US.45
01-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on how the new laws in NY will impact the return of DW there? Still can't believe NY did that. I feel for any of you guys that live there.

SCORPIO
01-16-2013, 09:01 PM
I've asked that question of a few different forums and nobody has posted an answer. My personal feelings are that it can't be good for business. Don't most 1911 mags hold 8 rounds?

Also, what about Remington in NY? They make the Bushmaster there, will they be allowed to produce the gun in NY for sale elsewhere or will they have to stop? If I were Remington, I'd pull the whole facility out of NY and move it to a more gun friendly state down south or out west.

Interesting times ahead.
Perhaps DW will move to Kansas City with the rest of CZ-USA?

jbar1tex
01-17-2013, 01:07 AM
If you think about it, I think NY has quite of few manufacturers. DW, Remington, Fusion I believe, Kimber too. Hard to beleive what NY passed and that the 8 round mag that I would bet most of us carry is now on the no-no list. I wonder if their new law limits how many mags a person can carry however?

I would be practicing all kinds of reloads these days. But to the OP - I agree this cannot be good for business internally to the state - externally I think there is a waiting list very long for any product. Finding any DW's locally is hard to do here in Dallas, and on-line as well or so it appears.

glider
01-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Ct. has very strick gun laws and look who manufactures there, colt, ruger, et.

SCORPIO
01-17-2013, 04:06 PM
And Sig Saure in Maine. The northeast has been the home of firearms manufacture for centuries.

US.45
01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
I wonder if they made exemptions for the manufacture and shipping out of state?

jbar1tex
01-18-2013, 10:57 PM
I am in the manufacturing business and have been for over 20 years now. The new NY laws does not appear on the surface to hit the manufacturers. The state will want them to remain there. Taxes & employment both help the local and state levels. The new rules (as I understand them) however do hurt in some ways. For example, if I was in the magazine making business, and in NY state, I could no longer effectively sell 8 round mags or higher??? So thats like now limiting my sales to only 49 of 50 states. (technically I think they can sell higher cap mags, the consumer, citizens of the state, including law abiding ones, can only put no more than 7 rounds in whatever they have). The law doesn't say they have to stop making them, but does effectively reduce sales to a state that has alot of people in it. Potentially affecting the bottom line.

Now - lets pretend some here... A semi-Auto BAN does go into affect (I know, I know, yikes... but we are only pretending, not predicting...) then I think there is some issues/conflict with that. How can a state allow the manufacture of said "banned" semi-autos within the same state that bans them? (outside of Gov't or military (but whose military) contracts). How bad (or how much) do they want that tax money and the employment of factory workers?

This is when a manufactuer might then be looking for a friendlier residence.

US.45
01-19-2013, 12:25 PM
I hear ya Tex, but last night on Hannity a NYPD (not sure if active or retired) member said the NY law did not exempt police and they were going to have to add an amendment to exclude the police! So my thinking is, if they didn't make an exemption for law enforcement, why would they make one for manufacture (whether intentional or not)?