PDA

View Full Version : Well....

Riverpigusmc
01-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Fixin' to take the plunge and commence to reloading soon. Well, SOON is a relative term, as it appears all single stage kite are backordered until February sometime. I reckon I'll either go Rockchucker, Lee single stage, or Lee Turret. Opinions and options welcome from the COTEP crew

douglas_knott
01-22-2013, 07:30 PM
I like the rock chucker and love it. never been a fan of lee stuff because I personally feel that it is cheaply made. Just my thoughts. I have tried lots of lee stuff too. Don't try the pro 1000's you will want to fight someone after messing with one. Lol. I have had 4 different pro 1000's and one of their single stage anniversary kits. Now I do own one of their Lee hand presses. It's ok for what I use it for. I would never sell my rock chucker and plan on buying a 550b pretty soon as well. Well once I get back to work.

NAMVET72
01-22-2013, 07:34 PM
For Newbies at reloading single stage RCBS Rock Chucker, and start to hoard brass quick because even the price of once fired brass also went up..................

Clyde

Riverpigusmc
01-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Just went to Midway..say the Rock Chucker Supreme package has been discontinued by the manufacture. The press alone with nothing with it is 160 bucks in stock..

Riverpigusmc
01-22-2013, 07:47 PM
For Newbies at reloading single stage RCBS Rock Chucker, and start to hoard brass quick because even the price of once fired brass also went up..................

Clyde

You have to have bullets to shoot to hoard brass :D
I have 100 rounds of hardball to my name, and no supplies anywhere around here

sdmc530
01-22-2013, 07:52 PM
I started with a single stage, I still have it. I hope to upgrade someday to a 550. I have the lee anniversary press and really like it. My father in law has the Rock Chucker and his is nice too. I would be good with either.
I like my lee alot, have had good luck with it.

Items are hard to come by though. I have about enough stuff to load 7K right now but will see if it lasts. There are no componants within 500 miles of anyplace....good luck getting stuff. But in the meanhwile collect brass and more brass. I like to scroung at the range...brass is free there!

NAMVET72
01-22-2013, 07:55 PM
You have to have bullets to shoot to hoard brass :D
I have 100 rounds of hardball to my name, and no supplies anywhere around here

Mike then start to talk to your shooting buddies................

Clyde

AutoMag
01-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Mike, the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme single stage press is a great one to start out on. I used mine for a few years and then upgraded to a Dillon RL550B. I still have my RCBS and it is still going strong!!!:)

Lonestar grips.
01-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Mike, the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme single stage press is a great one to start out on. I used mine for a few years and then upgraded to a Dillon RL550B. I still have my RCBS and it is still going strong!!!:)

+1

start simple and once you get the hang of it you can always upgrade.

Riverpigusmc
01-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Mike then start to talk to your shooting buddies................

Clyde

nobody here likes me :D

Seriously, all my friends are on here. I tend to keep to myself at the range

sdmc530
01-22-2013, 08:44 PM
nobody here likes me :D

Seriously, all my friends are on here. I tend to keep to myself at the range

I too am a range hermit, I like to practice alone and not have the other nuckelheads at the range not there when I am there much safer......don't change at all!!!!

We like you back........well most of us ( Ellison )

Boats
01-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Me too.

Don't have or need too many friends. Most of mine are old shipmates out of the area.

Recently started hanging out every once in a while with Navman. Heck he's a Cotep'er, builds custom 1911's, is a Navy Chief, and he drinks high-end scotch. Can't be all bad. :)

But otherwise it's just me and Gail and the kids. We like it that way.

Tom

douglas_knott
01-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Me too.

Don't have or need too many friends. Most of mine are old shipmates out of the area.

Recently started hanging out every once in a while with Navman. Heck he's a Cotep'er, builds custom 1911's, is a Navy Chief, and he drinks high-end scotch. Can't be all bad. :)

But otherwise it's just me and Gail and the kids. We like it that way.

Tom

Scotch? Sounds tastey.

skosh69
01-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Buy once, cry once....

I suggest you buy the biggest, most elaborate set-up you can afford! :D

Single stage is great, if you have a ton of time to kill and only plan on reloading a small amount per sitting. In hindsight, I would rather have gotten a turret or a progressive press and eliminated the need for doing everything one at a time. Then again, my azz is lazy and like's to work smart, not hard....

My biggest contribution I can give you Mike:

"Don't forget the powder!".

Boats
01-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Scotch? Sounds tastey.

Mmm. Yummy!

If you ever get East, make it a point to stop in for a couple of days. We'll set you up.

You gotta be able to tell sea stories, though. Start preparing now!

Boats

ronpaul50
01-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Just went to Midway..say the Rock Chucker Supreme package has been discontinued by the manufacture. The press alone with nothing with it is 160 bucks in stock..

I was just at a local sporting goods store in Puyallup and they had 3 of them. I am going back in the morning to get one. They also has reloading components.

sdmc530
01-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Buy once, cry once....

I suggest you buy the biggest, most elaborate set-up you can afford! :D

Single stage is great, if you have a ton of time to kill and only plan on reloading a small amount per sitting. In hindsight, I would rather have gotten a turret or a progressive press and eliminated the need for doing everything one at a time. Then again, my azz is lazy and like's to work smart, not hard....

My biggest contribution I can give you Mike:

"Don't forget the powder!".

funny good tip buddy.

Riverpigusmc
01-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Nice of Mr Squibs to give me that reminder :D

JimF4M1s
01-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Xxxxx

Dred
01-24-2013, 05:44 AM
Well,

I haven't been at it long. Started collecting the tools in October and had the min required to produce a round collected by November.

Today, I own 3 presses. My first was a Lee Hand Press which I used to decap several hundred rounds yesterday. I actually added the Lee Breechlock Single stage before I had produced a functional round. Then a couple weeks back I decided to pull the trigger on a Hornady LNL AP, but was unsuccesful thanks to the panic buy following Sandy Hook - my local sold all three of the Hornady's they had in stock the day before I showed up waving cash. I thought about it for a week and discovered the Lee Loadmaster could be had for half the price of the Hormady (my original consideration set only included Dillon & Hornady, so I hadn't even priced the Lee. Read extremely mixed reviews, but determined that I could make it work. I'm becoming fairly proficient. Took me two evenings with the net and the press, but the timing is now right and I've succesfully added a caliber (45 ACP kit now loading 10 as well). Will also be adding 22 TCM and 38/357 plus 9mm if this panic endures too long.

Ok, so I actually responded 'cause I'll be happy to help you find a single stage if you don't want to wait for the backorders. I've seen Lee and Rock Chuckers local in the past couple days. And, just confirmed that there's an abundance of presses on Ebay as I type using "lee press" as search term. There are some buy it now offers that are fairly priced sprinkled among those that priced for the collectors' market.

Good luck, and I will suggest you seriously consider a turret. It offers the ability to work single stage, but the flexibility to complete complementary operations together without excessive die changes. My biggest concern for larger batch work was separating charge and bullet seating operations a turret would solve this by allowing those operations to be stacked more efficiently. I can do this on the progressive, but it can be accomplished more precisely on a turret.

I'm glad to have each of my rigs, but if I could only keep one - it'd be the progressive.

Finally, if you are committed, start buying components now - they are becoming scarce and who knows how long this little panic episode is gonna last? Till the bad guys and loonies declare a stop shooting folks day, the media is gonna keep this circus rolling. There really is a sucker (or a naive, misinformed expert possibly sporting a poorly concealed agenda) born every minute.

titanse05
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
I bought once and cried once.

I have had the Hornady Lock-n-Load for over two years now and learned to reload on it. No problems so far. A thing that is commonly overlooked is the fact that progressive presses can be ran as a single stage initially and the thing that I like the most is that I can run a RCBS lockout die and ensure that I don't have undercharges or overcharges.

If I had to do over again, I'd still go progressive first. Just my humble opinion though, everyone is different.

Riverpigusmc
01-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Tom (Boats) sent me his Lee turret press..arrived today. Fixin' to research what else I need for it (shell holder, ect). Bought lumber and OSB to make my loading bench in the shed..romex and such to finish wire it..checked the door lock, ain't no way that woman will breach my perimeter...free at last, free at last, Good God Allmighty, free at last......funny
He also included a bag of once fired .45 acp
Tom is a good man

NAMVET72
01-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Tom (Boats) sent me his Lee turret press..arrived today. Fixin' to research what else I need for it (shell holder, ect). Bought lumber and OSB to make my loading bench in the shed..romex and such to finish wire it..checked the door lock, ain't no way that woman will breach my perimeter...free at last, free at last, Good God Allmighty, free at last......funny
He also included a bag of once fired .45 acp
Tom is a good man

So where are the Pics???????????????????????

Yes, Boats is a Good Guy............

Clyde

Riverpigusmc
01-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Pics after I build the bench tomorrow. I have a little helper that is just itching to help. Ellison said he's sending me a 3 die set, and Ed is sending me a scale. I love my COTEP fambly

Riverpigusmc
01-27-2013, 05:32 PM
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa327/riverpigusmc/bench1_zps41b32e75.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa327/riverpigusmc/bench2_zps65c7fd92.jpg

Sawzall and a hammer you can get 'er done

ronpaul50
01-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Tin roof rusted. Man shack, baby! A friend of mine made the door to his man cave smaller than his wife's assets. http://www.cotep.org/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Boats
01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Man you are absolutely the worst picture taker I know. Maybe even worse than me.

What, is you camera on dialup or something funny funny

Seriously though, can't wait to hear you're making boolits with it!

Boats

Riverpigusmc
01-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Cell phone camera :D

Jake was playing the harmonica along with Waylon and Willie (Mama don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys) while I built. Last night we wore our Stetsons to the Lost Beaner and watched the waitresses butts while we ate. A good time was had by all

Sheepdog
01-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Looks great!

deputybpfife
01-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Looks like home away from home to me!

Boats
01-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Perfect, pig!

So much fun to have kids around when you're doin "stuff".

I miss it.

Sean is gone and Kate doesn't want to just hang out anymore.

At least she'll go to the range with me.

Glad you and Jake had fun, but you really need to get a new cell phone :)

skosh69
01-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Cool beans!

Dave Waits
01-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Ah Mike? I don't think that press is mounted correctly.

Riverpigusmc
01-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Perfect, pig!

So much fun to have kids around when you're doin "stuff".

I miss it.

Sean is gone and Kate doesn't want to just hang out anymore.

At least she'll go to the range with me.

Glad you and Jake had fun, but you really need to get a new cell phone :)

It's a brand new Galaxy S III...prolly operator error

NAMVET72
01-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Pretty Nice Mike, but where is the Hammock and chair or Stool???????????

No Girly Pin Ups................

Clyde

Deleted
01-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Looks like a good man cave to me.

Nice place to go when you Piss the wife off.

Wait!!! man are you going to be spending a lot of time in there :D

Riverpigusmc
01-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Looks like a good man cave to me.

Nice place to go when you Piss the wife off.

Wait!!! man are you going to be spending a lot of time in there :D

That's the plan. I ain't never coming out. Trees to pee on, electricity...6' long smoker..I'm good