PDA

View Full Version : How is this pistol different: Dan Wesson

TLE2
01-25-2013, 12:58 PM
This is in no way a combative post, just curious how Dan Wesson company makes their pistols:

Do they start with another company's pistol and customize and upgrade it or are they made from raw steel by Dan Wesson?

I know they're beautiful and well made. But don't know how they start.

Thanks,

Boats
01-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Someone else will likely chime in but...

DW starts with frames and slides from another company (Caspian, Remsport and the like) and a variety of high-end internals and produces a production pistol that is a cut above the usual. They also build them with tighter tolerances and better fit and finish than many others.

Likely nothing you couldn't get done from the Colt Custom Shop or similar from Kimber, and not as sweet (or expensive) as a Wilson Combat or a Les Baer or similar.

Like I said, others will have different opinions and YMMV.

Boats

Dred
01-25-2013, 07:31 PM
After a few months worth of research, I picked my vbob as my first. The defining characteristics were.

1. detailed craftsmanship - as compared with pistols that look like they were produced by a under-skilled, underpaid guy driven to meet a quota by the overseer that is measuring success by gross profit figures
2. all components are quality - no MIM, no plastic
3. I don't feel entitled to a royalty check every time I take it out at the range - I love the distinct lack of billboarding the current models display (I accept it on my Rocks due to excellent price point)

To address your question. My understanding is that the company is in transition from using quality parts from EB to producing their own small parts. Point is the quality is not compromised.

440brew
02-10-2013, 05:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOJjljxcDDw

per the video link above he throws out brands like: EGW, Cylinder & Slide, Ed Brown, etc!

DrHenley
02-10-2013, 07:29 PM
This is in no way a combative post, just curious how Dan Wesson company makes their pistols:

I forgot who said this, but it sums it up nicely:

"The cheapest parts on the Dan Wesson are made by Ed Brown."

Monadh
02-17-2013, 05:54 PM
I also do not want to start an argument, but I can speak to my own experience.

I am no company's fan boy. I have had any number of Colts. I own the only Kimber ever made that is dang near perfect. I have fired several Wilsons belonging to others at the range. I have handled Nighthawks and Baers but never had the privilege of shooting one. My DWs have been a Heritage and a Valor. Both have been exceptional in quality, build, and accuracy. To say I would rate them as better crafted than all I have ever seen with the exception of one particular Nighthawk is me simply giving my experience. I would like to own a Baer, but it would not be due to any insufficiency I have found in my Valor. I just want a Baer.

Others may buy a pistol from the semi-custom manufacturers and believe they have bought something far superior to anything Dan Wesson makes. I say good for them, but I would also disagree that there is that much of a quality difference in build or function to justify spending the extra money. Dan Wesson makes an excellent 1911.

ronpaul50
02-17-2013, 09:48 PM
I bought my black duty finish Vbob after researching a lot. I bought with carry in mind. I bought my Les Baer PII Tactical in blue because I wanted it. As for accuracy the Baer is more accurate probably because it is full size. I've been talking to my LGS about one of the SS Ed Browns they ordered at Shot Show again just because. The fit and finish is excellent on both guns and I hope the Brown will be a notch above both. BTW I paid $70 more for the DW than the Baer. Ron

Quick Draw
02-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Nice to put a face with a name in this video.

I have talked to Keith on the phone before but had never seen a picture of him.

Thanks for posting the video 440Brew

COTEP CBOB0638

SmokeyMonkees
03-04-2013, 02:29 AM
It is a KISS gun. Everything you need and nothing you don't.

scorpion1911
03-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Dw stands for "done wright" very good quality for the price !
Just saying !