PDA

View Full Version : 10th anniversary of the Columbia explosion

Roverron
02-01-2013, 05:00 PM
'I think they would rather not know. Wouldn't it be better to have a happy successful flight and die unexpectedly during entry than know there was nothing to be done, until the air ran out?' How Columbia crew died in ignorance.

Shuttle was returning from a 16-day science mission when it broke apart over Texas in 2003
NASA employee Wayne Hale said mission control made decision not to tell crew of danger

NASA has revealed that the Columbia crew were not told that the shuttle had been damaged and they might not survive re-entry.
The seven astronauts who died will be remembered at a public memorial service on the 10th anniversary of the disaster this Friday at Florida's Kennedy Space Center.

The shuttle was headed home from a 16-day science mission when it broke apart over Texas on February 1, 2003, because of damage to its left wing.
Ten years ago, experts at NASA's mission control faced the terrible decision over whether to let the astronauts know that they may die on re-entry or face orbiting in space until the oxygen ran out.

Mr Hale writes: 'After one of the MMTs (Mission Management Team) when possible damage to the orbiter was discussed, he (Flight Director Jon Harpold) gave me his opinion: ''You know, there is nothing we can do about damage to the TPS (Thermal Protection System).'
'"If it has been damaged it's probably better not to know. I think the crew would rather not know. Don't you think it would be better for them to have a happy successful flight and die unexpectedly during entry than to stay on orbit, knowing that there was nothing to be done, until the air ran out?"'
When Mission Control had it confirmed that the shuttle had broken up over Texas, Flight Director Leroy Cain ordered the room on lock-down and all computer data saved for later investigation.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4440/atlantisandendeavour.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vJs50bFytSQ/TUeBqQEJdZI/AAAAAAAAAvo/4PxUpjwzrqQ/s1600/Space_Shuttle_Columbia_launching.jpg

Grouse
02-01-2013, 05:46 PM
long way from appolo 13

deputybpfife
02-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Really sad, but I think they made the right decision. I can't imagine what it would have been like being in mission control knowing that the astronauts were likely going to die. What a sad time in history...