PDA

View Full Version : East Alabama Ruger Rimfire Match

DrHenley
06-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Like Steel Challenge but with simpler rules. The weekly Thursday evening matches are only 4 stages due to limited time, and limited to one gun per competitor. Monthly Saturday matches are 6 stages and competitors can use one rifle and one pistol.

Each stage consists of 5 targets, one of which is a stop plate. Your time ends when you hit the stop plate. Any missed targets add 5 seconds. If you never hit the stop plate, you get a 30 second time.

You shoot the stage 5 times, the worst time is thrown out, and the other 4 times are added together for the stage score. The competition is designed to be appealing to all ages, and we have *all* ages competing.

I put my Mimber 22 slide on my DW Panther frame for this match, and I was definitely more accurate than when it was on the Colt Frame.

The slide is very tight on the DW frame, so I was worried about cycling consistently. However, I only had one jam the whole match.

Here is a clip on YouTube of one of the stages, shot by a guy who is about twice as fast as I am. He also used a Mimber slide, but I don't know what frame he was using.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXnOppcW0pk

This kid had trouble on some of the stages, but on this particular stage he was faster than I was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwv8UAYhbbo

And of course a picture of the gun...shall we call it a "Dan Mimber" ? :D

DW Panther Frame
Mimber Slide
Wilson Combat Tactical Mag Release
Ed Brown Arched Mainspring Housing

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=125

Ammo: Federal Champion plated hollow points (super clean burning)

Deleted
06-30-2011, 10:25 PM
I shot in Saturday's rimfire match and had a blast.

Didn't do to bad, i took my M&P 15-22 and shot it.

So know i'm looking for a .22 pistol any suggestions?

DrHenley
06-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Man I wish I could have been there Saturday, but I was out of town. I haven't been able to use my tricked out 10/22 yet...:D Today I had to choose between shooting pistol or rifle :mad:

If I didn't already have the Mimber slide, I would buy a GSG. I came close to trading for one when I was having issues with the Mimber slide. I've heard a lot of good things about them, and I've inspected one at the gunshop. I was very impressed with it. They do lock back on empty, unlike the Kimber.

I started out using a Buckmark, but it does not have a natural point of aim for me like the 1911. So I had to align the sights every time I aquired a target, which really slowed me down.

Deleted
07-01-2011, 10:46 PM
I was looking at the Browing 1911 .22, price isn't that bad a lot cheaper then the Kimber .22.

i'm going to Nothside tomorrow to see my buddy Tim and see what kind of deal i can get.

Maybe we have a chance to met at the IDPA match next weekend.

Sheepdog
07-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Looks like allot of fun!:rock:

Thedragonslayer
07-03-2011, 03:16 PM
It does look like a lot of fun!

Shooter, let us know what you get.... and also pics please!!!

Deleted
07-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Yesterday i went to the gun shop, and my friend showed me the GSG 1911 .22 and it felt like a real 1911 in my hands.

The Browning and one other he showed me felt like a plastic toy.

They want $368 for the GSG. but right know all gun buys have to be ok'ed by the boss I've been laid off for the past 2 weeks so she's a frim grip on the money, waiting on a phone call to see if we get go back on the 5th.

DrHenley
07-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I hear ya...money is tight my way too right now, and I'm about to send my second kid off to college :rolleyes:

The only way I can afford to get enough trigger time is by practicing in the backyard with an Airsoft 1911.

Thedragonslayer
07-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Yesterday i went to the gun shop, and my friend showed me the GSG 1911 .22 and it felt like a real 1911 in my hands.

The Browning and one other he showed me felt like a plastic toy.

They want $368 for the GSG. but right know all gun buys have to be ok'ed by the boss I've been laid off for the past 2 weeks so she's a frim grip on the money, waiting on a phone call to see if we get go back on the 5th.

We all hope you are able to go back to work after the fourth! Good luck!

Noel

Deleted
07-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Good News, I go back to work tomorrow.

Thedragonslayer
07-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Good News, I go back to work tomorrow.

Congrats on the work situation!!!:rock::rock::rock:

DrHenley
07-08-2011, 07:54 AM
I ran into a COTEP brother at yesterday's Rimfire Match. He was wearing a Severn's Custom cap, and I asked if he was a COTEP member - He was!

He is TigerEye on the 1911forum.

Here is TigerEye in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzjFharmhEs

Looks like there may be three of us at Saturday's EAGC IDPA match!

rduckwor
07-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Got to say I like the idea of shooting from the shade in AL in the summer.

RMD