PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else use

jmlutz
02-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Anybody else use one of these, it's a Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker? They are just excellent, I never was very good at sharpening knives until I got this. It's amazing how good of an edge you can get with not much effort! I'd recommend one of these to anyone.

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a408/jmlutz/001-57_zpscab8f812.jpg

Grouse
02-17-2013, 01:55 PM
I honestly just use a couple of diamond sharpeners. I have learned over the years on how to hold an angle to put a good edge. Good steel helps. some knives just have the worlds worst angles for keeping edges, or putting edges on. Honestly I redomend Ikea's full sized diamond oval kitchen knife sharpener for keeping an edge and a set of fishing hook diamond sharpeners (various grits) for putting a new angle on.

Boats
02-17-2013, 02:34 PM
I honestly just use a couple of diamond sharpeners. I have learned over the years on how to hold an angle to put a good edge. Good steel helps. some knives just have the worlds worst angles for keeping edges, or putting edges on. Honestly I redomend Ikea's full sized diamond oval kitchen knife sharpener for keeping an edge and a set of fishing hook diamond sharpeners (various grits) for putting a new angle on.

Yeah, what Grouse said. I use a double sided (fine/med), mini diamond sharpener that folds up conveniently like a balisong. Got it on Amazon, I think, long ago.

For heavy sharpening I use a slow wheel with very fine grit.

Tom

Snipersnest
02-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Never used the sticks, but have used the Lansky sharpening system. I used to sharpen all the guy's hunting knives at deer camp. I've had good results with the system. I need a stone for the serrated blades.

Grouse
02-17-2013, 02:49 PM
I have a lansky system also. superb product would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to really take care of their blades.

this is what i use

http://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-PAK5-Color-Coded-Diamond/dp/B002RL83DQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1361130294&sr=8-5&keywords=eze+lap+diamond+stone

Like i said i can hold the angle now. takes me 30 min or so to re angle a small pocket knife. an hour or so to do a med, two or more to do a large hard steel pocket knife. Kukri sized half day. A zen moment thing for me.