PDA

View Full Version : how long

sdmc530
02-18-2013, 01:25 PM
How long will powder and primers last in storage.
I store everything in a fire rated safe and I control the humidity pretty good?
I wanna stock up on some reloading components and want to get a mass stockpile but don't want it to go 'bad" before I use it.

thanks,,,,,

deputybpfife
02-18-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm certainly no expter at any of this, but I had the same question. From what I've been reading, primers will last many, many years if stored in a cool, dry place. I don't know about the powder, though.

douglas_knott
02-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Leave them in a cool dry place and they will last a long time. I actually loaded some shotgun shells with some older Winchester 209 primers I had. They all go bang still. I'll have to see how old they actually are.

Dave Waits
02-18-2013, 01:40 PM
A little advice about a cool,dry place. Do not make it too dry, static electricity can and will ignite primers. If they're in close proximity to powder at the time this would be considered Bad Ju-Ju.

sdmc530
02-18-2013, 02:21 PM
A little advice about a cool,dry place. Do not make it too dry, static electricity can and will ignite primers. If they're in close proximity to powder at the time this would be considered Bad Ju-Ju.

Good advice, my safe is about 45% humidity that it what Champion Safes recommended so that what I keep everything at. I do keep them in the same safe I might have to rethink that though.

Riverpigusmc
02-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Phil...take the powder OUT of your safe. If you have an expanding fire seal on the safe door, you just made a big ass bomb. Smokeless powder causes pressure as it burns

deputybpfife
02-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Phil...take the powder OUT of your safe. If you have an expanding fire seal on the safe door, you just made a big ass bomb. Smokeless powder causes pressure as it burns

I've heard that before. That could be very scary! :outta:

sdmc530
02-18-2013, 04:44 PM

Huh....yep, that make sence. I guess I have to get one of those little steel stack on boxes huh.....what do you all do for powder...I have about 9lbs right now.

Riverpigusmc
02-18-2013, 05:14 PM
I leave mine on top of the bed next to my wife :D

Store it in a container that releases pressure if it catches fire..wood box or something

Roverron
02-18-2013, 05:24 PM
I keep mine in the bathroom (my bathroom-other side if the house!:p)

DaFadda
02-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Phil, take the primers AND the powder out of the safe. A web search will provide you with the plans to build an acceptable powder/primer storage area. Its the primers that are really explosive, which is why they are packed no more than 100 per package for reloading.

When I was a 14 year old boy, I set off a 2.5" black cat firecracker in my basement. In an effort to dull the sound of it going off, I threw it into a galvanized garbage can and put the lid on it. I learned that evening what happens when we contain an explosive charge. It was 5 times as loud, and my old man kicked my butt all the way up the stairs!!!!!

But to make it even more clear...

Storage cabinets containing only primers are recommended. These cabinets should be ruggedly constructed of lumber at least 1” nominal thickness to delay or minimize the
transmission of heat in the event of fire. SAAMI recommends
against storing primers in sealed or pressurized containers.

For the entire article:
http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_201-Primers.pdf

And for an article on powder storage:
http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

sdmc530
02-18-2013, 08:35 PM
I am taking first thing tommorow

deputybpfife
02-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Phil, take the primers AND the powder out of the safe. A web search will provide you with the plans to build an acceptable powder/primer storage area. Its the primers that are really explosive, which is why they are packed no more than 100 per package for reloading.

When I was a 14 year old boy, I set off a 2.5" black cat firecracker in my basement. In an effort to dull the sound of it going off, I threw it into a galvanized garbage can and put the lid on it. I learned that evening what happens when we contain an explosive charge. It was 5 times as loud, and my old man kicked my butt all the way up the stairs!!!!!

But to make it even more clear...

Storage cabinets containing only primers are recommended. These cabinets should be ruggedly constructed of lumber at least 1” nominal thickness to delay or minimize the
transmission of heat in the event of fire. SAAMI recommends
against storing primers in sealed or pressurized containers.

For the entire article:
http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_201-Primers.pdf

And for an article on powder storage:
http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

Thanks for the great information, Padre. It's very much appreciated.

sdmc530
02-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Been thinking about this....maybe I am off but could you use an old fridge to store powder? Not plugged in or running obviously but a fridge is pretty well insulated would take some time for fire to get into it and would "open" if gas was built up. Why couln't I use say an old dorm fridge to store my powder? Or am I way off on this?
Primers not sure what to do with them. the problem I have is a little one in the house and keeping his little hands off stuff.
the wooden box deal is a great idea but would need two of them of course and have to lock the thing, that kind of defets the idea of a forgiving box?
Maybe I am just overthinking this?

DaFadda
02-19-2013, 06:10 AM
Phil, IF you felt the need to lock a cabinet built of 1" thick nominal lumber (aka 1x pine from home depot, to make it "forgiving" in the event of a fire, I would use a light finish nail on the non opening sections. This way you can slow the fire and heat transmission, but IF it blew, the explosion would be less than even a refrigerator. Goal is to stay away from any metal container... no?

The refrigerator idea.... with a golden rod heater installed.... is my next "stealth gunsafe." Can't wait for the Mrs. Freezer to fail!!! It's right next to my big safe!

DaFadda

DaFadda
02-19-2013, 06:13 AM
On primer storage, all my primers have been vacuumed packed courtesy of the Mrs. "Food Saver" so that they are water/moisture proof. I only keep on my bench what I'm going to be using over the next few weeks.
DaFadda

sdmc530
02-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I need to get this figures out.....I am not a carpenter so I need to buy somthing...

Riverpigusmc
02-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I need to get this figures out.....I am not a carpenter so I need to buy somthing...

Buy a box :p

sdmc530
02-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Buy a box :p

Easier said than done, looking....

Why couldn't I just buy a stack on cabinet and drill holes in the thing? Good security, safe, vents.....any thoughts...

Riverpigusmc
02-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Metal makes shrapnel. I'd buy a bid plastic toolbox with a means to use a lock and drill holes in that

sdmc530
02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
that is a good idea...I never thought of the plastic rout....that makes it much easier to find too.

JimF4M1s
02-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Xxxxx

Riverpigusmc
02-19-2013, 08:16 PM
I have been thinking of getting a Hazmat Safety Storage Cabinet. Has vent plugs and it locks.

and then there is that

Riverpigusmc
02-19-2013, 08:18 PM
that is a good idea...I never thought of the plastic rout....that makes it much easier to find too.

DO NOT tell my wife I had a good idea.........

sdmc530
02-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Well I got me a big ol plastic tool box today, threw the tray away and can get 10lbs in it. that is all I can have legally. Anyways like stated I will drill holes in the morning.

I would love to get a medal vented cabinet but they are like 300 bucks....If i had an extra 300 laying around I would spend it on boolits and supplies anywyas....

DaFadda
02-20-2013, 07:52 AM
Plastic box might be a nice short term solution Phil, but the purpose of dimensional lumber and a real live wooden box is that transmission of heat and flame are slowed down so that an explosion is far less likely to harm you, your family, or the public servants trying to stop your house from burning down.

If you must store larger amounts of primers, and you can't go the Sammi route, then please consider using a lock on a plastic container such as a 50 cal size "drybox" from Cabelas or such.... lock the thing, and put it in a locked shed thats not attached to your house? Sounds like the safest choice to me....

Just sayin'....
DaFadda

sdmc530
02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Plastic box might be a nice short term solution Phil, but the purpose of dimensional lumber and a real live wooden box is that transmission of heat and flame are slowed down so that an explosion is far less likely to harm you, your family, or the public servants trying to stop your house from burning down.

If you must store larger amounts of primers, and you can't go the Sammi route, then please consider using a lock on a plastic container such as a 50 cal size "drybox" from Cabelas or such.... lock the thing, and put it in a locked shed thats not attached to your house? Sounds like the safest choice to me....

Just sayin'....
DaFadda

Yep, this is short term till I get something figured out. I was not prepared for this and should have known better. I know I need a better solution!