PDA

View Full Version : Thought's on Lyman Kit?

US.45
02-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Thinking about reloading and saw a Lyman T-mag II expert kit with turret press and #55 powder loader. Is this a good set-up for a novice? Anyone have this one? Thanks.

BadOscar
02-19-2013, 09:54 PM
How much, and what are you loading for, only pistol?

DaFadda
02-20-2013, 07:59 AM
+1 to Oscar. Need more information. Looking at the Tmag... my personal opine would be to look at a Lee classic turret. See my picture posts in the Reloading Section.
DaFadda

US.45
02-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Kit is about $375 without the digital scale and $425 with. Dies extra. Mostly .45 9mm, and 380 pistol but also potentially 223/556. I think it says it can do both pistol and rifle. It's on amazon and Midway. Is Lee/RCBS better quality stuff? A friend said he heard the RCBS newer stuff isn't as good as their older stuff. Any truth to that? Link on Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/305282/lyman-t-mag-2-turret-press-expert-kit

BadOscar
02-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Personally I will not buy another press that is not a Dillon. The reason I asked if you were loading pistol only is because I use a Dillon Square Deal and they are reasonably priced compared to what you are looking at but the Square Deal only reloads straight wall pistol. It's $380 and that includes a set of dies. You can get a good digi on ebay for $17.

DaFadda
02-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Personally... I like the ability of the Lee Classic Turret to quickly switch calibers. If you're loading one caliber only, then some of the others make sense. But I load 38, 357, 40, 45, .223 (9 and 380 if absolutely necessary). I can switch to a new caliber in less than a minute without have to adjust any dies. I also prefer to load in "batch mode" which for me... allows better quality control over the process.

Oscar is correct if he says "you can't go wrong with a Dillon." You will like it. A lot. But I can't justify the cost differences between a Dillon Square Deal and a 4 hole turret from Lee (Press is about $100, add another hundred or so for a set of dies and other particulars).

Talking about reloading is sometimes like asking the question: "which is better for carry... 9mm or 45?" Guarantee that we all have our opinions, and that most of us have the knowledge behind the opinion to back us up. Reloading is an art, a science, AND a labor of love. If someone wants to reload to "save money"... I'd tell them not to, just use the money to buy more ammo. Reloading WILL allow you to shoot more, which means accuracy goes up.... etc etc.... And for me... I DO enjoy shooting more now that I have control over the cartridge side of the equation. It's just fun.

I just looked at the Lyman kit on Midway (your link). You would be getting the scale (RCBS sells theirs for about $100,) and the universal trimmer (needed for rifle rounds, RCBS has a similar model for about $120), powder measure (don't know the quality, but RCBS has a great one for $149) plus the press. So, for what you're getting.... It looks good. I'd still look at the Lee Classic Turret as an option.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit

You would NOT get the manual trimmer with the kit at a price of $194. But hey... check ebay for a trimmer!!! But I can tell you this... my RockChucker supreme is relegated to rifle rounds only now that I'm using this turret. I won't buy another unless I go full progressive, and then... its probably going to be the Dillon 1050 with all the bells and whistles!

My story, and I'm sticking to it!
+Michael

BadOscar
02-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Well said Fadda. Reloading really opens up new worlds and makes shooting more fun. 90% of what I create could not be purchased off the shelf and that is why I do it. I did not mean to sound elitist at all about my choice of reloader. I think people want different things out of reloading. For example, I don't have a lot of spare time and I need the ability to load 200 rounds on a Friday night and not spend more than 1 hour. The press I have just fits for what I want out of it. That's probably where a reloading discussion should start is what type of person are you, what sort of experience do you want out of reloading.

DaFadda
02-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Alex... I'm working on my elitist attitude so I may one day get a job in homeland security where I may be able to view xray pictures of Doc walking through an airport. I will then stab my eyes with a stick! (Back to the story).... as usual, we're both right. And since I have no life, I spend my lonely evenings pining away at the reloading bench.... punching round after lonely round out.... man I'm getting depressed.... Think I'll go wake up the Mrs.......

DaFadda

Sheepdog
02-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Personally... I like the ability of the Lee Classic Turret to quickly switch calibers. If you're loading one caliber only, then some of the others make sense. But I load 38, 357, 40, 45, .223 (9 and 380 if absolutely necessary). I can switch to a new caliber in less than a minute without have to adjust any dies. I also prefer to load in "batch mode" which for me... allows better quality control over the process.

Oscar is correct if he says "you can't go wrong with a Dillon." You will like it. A lot. But I can't justify the cost differences between a Dillon Square Deal and a 4 hole turret from Lee (Press is about $100, add another hundred or so for a set of dies and other particulars).

Talking about reloading is sometimes like asking the question: "which is better for carry... 9mm or 45?" Guarantee that we all have our opinions, and that most of us have the knowledge behind the opinion to back us up. Reloading is an art, a science, AND a labor of love. If someone wants to reload to "save money"... I'd tell them not to, just use the money to buy more ammo. Reloading WILL allow you to shoot more, which means accuracy goes up.... etc etc.... And for me... I DO enjoy shooting more now that I have control over the cartridge side of the equation. It's just fun.

I just looked at the Lyman kit on Midway (your link). You would be getting the scale (RCBS sells theirs for about $100,) and the universal trimmer (needed for rifle rounds, RCBS has a similar model for about $120), powder measure (don't know the quality, but RCBS has a great one for $149) plus the press. So, for what you're getting.... It looks good. I'd still look at the Lee Classic Turret as an option.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit

You would NOT get the manual trimmer with the kit at a price of $194. But hey... check ebay for a trimmer!!! But I can tell you this... my RockChucker supreme is relegated to rifle rounds only now that I'm using this turret. I won't buy another unless I go full progressive, and then... its probably going to be the Dillon 1050 with all the bells and whistles!

My story, and I'm sticking to it!
+Michael

Fadda, before you jump in to a 1050 look real hard at the 650. It is smaller easier to change calibers and cheaper than the 1050. The 1050 is considered a commercial reloader and is not covered by the same "cover everything" as the 650. Dillon has not charged me for repairs to my 1050 just saying. The 650 will do everything the 1050 does. You will spend more time filling primer tubes than pulling the handle. Dillon also makes an auto primer tube filler and an auto bullet feeder. Just my .02 cents.

AutoMag
02-21-2013, 01:40 PM
I have the Dillon RL550B and it has served me well for many years!!!:)

Boats
02-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Fadda, before you jump in to a 1050 look real hard at the 650. It is smaller easier to change calibers and cheaper than the 1050. The 1050 is considered a commercial reloader and is not covered by the same "cover everything" as the 650. Dillon has not charged me for repairs to my 1050 just saying. The 650 will do everything the 1050 does. You will spend more time filling primer tubes than pulling the handle. Dillon also makes an auto primer tube filler and an auto bullet feeder. Just my .02 cents.

Damn! Now you've got me interested. :)

I'm very happy with my Lee Classic Turret Press and I've got all the additions I need to make it sing. But I like to tinker too much.

What would be an approximate "all in" price to give me a full setup switching to a Dillon XL 650? Don't need rigorous analysis Scott, just a ballpark.

Thanks,
Tom

AutoMag
02-21-2013, 02:01 PM
If you have a buddy with an FFL or C&R license you can get the Dillon 650 less dies at Graf and Sons for right about $478.00!!

Boats
02-21-2013, 02:12 PM
If you have a buddy with an FFL or C&R license you can get the Dillon 650 less dies at Graf and Sons for right about $478.00!!

Thanks, John.

Will my Lee dies be ok? I've got a fairly hefty investment in various caliber Lee dies.

Tom

AutoMag
02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Tom, they should work without a problem. I use the Dillon RL550B with my RCBS dies and they work great!!!:)

markbob45
02-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I have the Lyman T-Mag turret press kit. I bought mine almost 20years ago and I have been very happy with it. I think some of the additional components have changed a little since then but it looks basically the same. I like being able to leave a couple seating dies in place so I don't have to go thru the set up process as much. Its also nice to be able to do multiple steps without changing dies like you would with a single stage press. Most of my dies are Lee and they work fine.
There may be better presses/kits I don't know but overall I am very happy with the Lyman T-Mag.

Boats
02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
I have the Lyman T-Mag turret press kit. I bought mine almost 20years ago and I have been very happy with it. I think some of the additional components have changed a little since then but it looks basically the same. I like being able to leave a couple seating dies in place so I don't have to go thru the set up process as much. Its also nice to be able to do multiple steps without changing dies like you would with a single stage press. Most of my dies are Lee and they work fine.
There may be better presses/kits I don't know but overall I am very happy with the Lyman T-Mag.

Hmmm... the T-Mag sounds a lot like the Lee Classic Turret press. I'ver been using mine for years, but not as long as you :)

I don't know why I'm even thinking about something better since I like the Lee very much. Maybe I can't leave well enough alone and need to think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

The Dillon 650 is a progressive press, and quite a bit more powerful and fast. See this link (http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23803/catid/1/XL_650). One loaded bullet per pull.

But since I only load a few hundred rounds at a time I probably don't need such a powerful system. And there are downsides. With my Lee Turret press, I can change calibers in about 10 seconds. Likely a lot more with a progressive. Once you get them set up, they are very fast, but they're a bit finicky and more suited to loading a lot of one caliber.

But must... have... one... !

Tom

Riverpigusmc
02-21-2013, 03:20 PM
We really need a popcorn smilie

Dave Waits
02-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Okay, basically all the Turret Presses work the same way. It's a single-stage press with a quicker way to change dies. Instead of unscrewing a die and screwing another in, you just turn the Turret. so, you save about 20 seconds between operations. Once the dies are set and the nuts locked, all that you do with a single stage is unscrew one and screw another in. With a turret you just turn the turret. The only real advantage is you can buy extra turrets for other calibers and simply switch Turrets and shellholders.

The difference in Turret Presses is the same as any other Press, quality. Not badmouthing Lee or anything but, quality-wise the Lyman is well above the Lee. In other words, you're not just paying for name.

The best advice I can give for anyone just getting into reloading is not to go overboard with equipment. Why? you're going to make mistakes and, using more complicated equipment magnifies those mistakes. Say you go whole-Hog into this and buy one of the big Progressives from Dillon or RCBS,etc. Set everything up and run oh, 300 rounds off. Unknown to you, your dump is misthrowing a charge on the highside, because you unknowingly turned the adjustment while screwing it into that press turret. How do you check your rounds? You don't know. So, you load up the Slabsides and let loose with a dangerous overcharge.

My advice is keep it simple until you know what you're doing. Then, once you get some experience under your belt, you can cheat yourself out of an enjoying past time by running off rounds as quickly as possible and using that $500.00 plus piece of equipment for one-hour every month or two if you're an average shooter.

I'm sorry guys but, recommending advanced equipment like this to a beginner is not a good idea. Toms' statement above about need pretty much says it all.

AutoMag
02-21-2013, 04:59 PM
I used an RCBS Rock Chucker for many years, still have it. I then went to a Dillon RL550B. I check every 10th round just for my own piece of mind. Mistakes can happen, might be a bit anal but I have never had a bad round.

The main thing about reloading at least for me is to be in a distraction free environment and to concentrate ONLY on reloading!!! NO TV OR RADIO!!!!

I believe that if a person is careful and concentrates on what he/she is doing then any machine can be suitable as long as you are careful and observant to what is going on.

Dave Waits
02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
I used an RCBS Rock Chucker for many years, still have it. I then went to a Dillon RL550B. I check every 10th round just for my own piece of mind. Mistakes can happen, might be a bit anal but I have never had a bad round.

The main thing about reloading at least for me is to be in a distraction free environment and to concentrate ONLY on reloading!!! NO TV OR RADIO!!!!

I believe that if a person is careful and concentrates on what he/she is doing then any machine can be suitable as long as you are careful and observant to what is going on.

John, my Friend, what does your piece of mind say about the other nine rounds? you mean you haven't had a bad round YET, right? It only takes one that gets by.

Look, you guys are my Friends. I just don't want anything to happen to you all.

AutoMag
02-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Right, I have not had a bad round as yet!!!

I actually phrased that wrong though Dave. What I meant to say is that I load 10 rounds and then check them all for weight and length.

I know where you are coming from though Dave. It only takes 1 bad round to ruin your day!!!:)

US.45
02-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks all for the discussion. Not interested in a progressive press for many reasons, all mentioned above. Looking for input from those that own or know about the Lyman; thanks Mark and Dave. Perhaps for nearly half the price, the Lee classic is a good way to go too. I want something that will do both pistol and rifle, not break the bank, and last. I appreciate all the comments/ discussion and happy to read more here and elsewhere. Thanks again.

DaFadda
02-21-2013, 08:26 PM
US45... told ya... reloaders ALL have opinions, and most of us know our equipment and what we're talking about. I'd agree with Dave, don't over buy, a decent single stage or a turret is good. I don't know when Dave last used a Lee Classic turret, but I also have never used a Lyman turret... so I'd say we're on equal ground there....but if he said the quality on the Lee Classic is somehow sub standard, I would have to disagree with him. Fit and finish is fine, and the completed round is correct. I do not use the progressive function on the Lee turret, as I said earlier... I load in batch mode only. Why? because again... I agree with Dave. I can watch every single load and be sure I don't under or over charge.

I also use a Dillon or Wilson gauge to check every completed round. Anal? Probably. But I've never had a FTE/FTF because of a bad round. So....

Just my 2 cents. Which someone will probably add 23 more to in order to make a quarter!

DaFadda

Sheepdog
02-21-2013, 09:03 PM
I have never used a Lyman.