PDA

View Full Version : What kind of reloader do you use?

Sheepdog
02-21-2013, 09:33 PM
I use Dillon 650 and 1050 progressive reloaders. They work great, dependable and fast. I have heard all the talk about this and that might happen, but mine work great! Like all reloading you need to use common sense. Mine have over under charge, low powder and low primer alarms. I also do all due diligence when reloading. It is all up to what you want out of reloading. Some people trickle weigh every load and that's great. I shoot allot and would rather spend my time shooting than reloading. IMHO I feel the less you have to handle each round lessens the chances of making a mistake. Factory ammo is not made one round at a time. That's my .03 cents.

skosh69
02-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Well said Scott.

As a noob, I listened to to the "old timer's"/"wise ones" and the vote was unanimous that I get a single stage press aka Rock Chucker. Only your vote was for a progressive.

Now I don't shoot competition, only range plinking. But after a year now, if I had it all to buy over again, I'd of spent the extra and gone with a Dillon 550 or 650 with all the bells and whistles. Why? It sucks spending over an hour just to make 100 rds, doing every process 100 times. Sorry if it seems like I'm whining, but I like to work smart, not hard and a using a progressive press is just that, smart.

And if any of you know my story, I screwed the pooch on my first go around using my single stage and had a few squibs. Who's fault was that? It was mine, not mechanical.

Please remember, this is only MY OPINION.

BadOscar
02-21-2013, 11:01 PM
I'm using a Dillon Square Deal. No bells and whistles on it. Once I get going I just put an empty case on stage 1 and place a bullet on stage 3 then pull the handle. I have a light that shines over stage 4 so I can visually inspect the powder charge each time I pull the handle. If the charge looks high or low at all I pull it off and weigh it on a digi. No matter what it weighs I never put it back. I dump the powder back in my powder measure. Then I skip loading the next empty and put the primed case I pulled back on stage 2 to get powder again.

It takes me about 10 minutes to switch over to a different caliber. I keep detailed notes on how many turns everything needs to move going from one caliber to another. I also have a lot of little colored marks on things that get adjusted referenced in my notes. Once I have changed out dies and set the powder measure and crimp per my notes I use an empty case to test the powder charge. I will measure at least 3 throws on both a manual balance and a digi to make sure it's right and the scales match. Then I seat a bullet in a deprimed case without powder and crimp it. I measure the OAL and the diameter of the case at the crimp with calipers and make fine adjustments if necessary. Then I load 100 primers in the tube and load ammo until empty.

ColMike
02-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Lee classic turret, and removed the autoindex feature. I used a uniflo and 505 for powder dispensing, but recently ordered the pact combo. I like the turret quick change feature on this press. Lee sometimes gets a bad rap, but I have had no problems.

I have really ramped up my shooting lately and am considering a dillon. I am about to move into a 12x12 building for loading. i will have to configure my setup again..from a workmate to a room. Woohoo

DaFadda
02-22-2013, 07:29 AM
+1 to Col. Mike above. For all the same reasons. I also use the Lee Classic turret for handgun rounds. I also load in batch mode. I do not use the primer loading function. I prefer to sit at the kitchen counter, talk to the Mrs.... and hand press primers using the RCBS hand primer thang.

FIRST PRESS? RCBS single stage Rockchucker. Still use it for .223 and other rifle rounds.

DaFadda

Riverpigusmc
02-22-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm using what all my friends donated to me :D

JimF4M1s
02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Xxxxx

douglas_knott
02-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Still use my same ol rock chucker single stage. And mec Jr 600's for my 12&410

wxl
02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Used a Lee turret for years (~20 yrs). Also use a Lee Hand Press (still do) for every caliber I load. Bought a Redding T7 turret as my main press, basically single load. Rarely use my Dillon 550 and only if I feel like mass loading 45acp, 10mm, 380 or 9mm. Most of time if I only load 50 or so, I still use the T7 for 45 acp, 9mm, 10mm or 380. Measure powder using RCBS combo unit. 454 Casull, 45 long colt, 38-40 and 44-40 on the T7.

All rifle (22 Hornet, 223, 7-08, 7mm, 284 Win, 308, 300WinMag, 300 WSM, 375H&H, 416 Rigby, 6.8 SPC, 270 Win) are on the T7.

I am not a volume shooter so I do not mind the time. I use the T7 in single stage, size all brass, then seat all the rounds. Prime using 3 RCBS hand loaders.

Might consider the 550 some day for 223 or 6.8 SPC as I do have 3 AR15 uppers in 6.8SPC and a 700 bolt action in 6.8. Have 2 223 uppers and may change one of those to a better barrel. Just like the assurance of measuring each load for most accurate rounds tho. Not a volume plinker with my AR15s, mostly load developement on the range for hunting use.

Dave Waits
02-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Ell, how many squibs would you have had with a progressive since you were just starting out and knew nothing about reloading?

My problem is that I really enjoy reloading, it's very satisfying to me to make 100 rounds that I know will have a Standard Deviation of maybe 6 if I get sloppy. Can't make 100 rounds on a progressive with less than double-digit SDs. Plus, it's kinda a Zen thing with me, I really feel relaxed after a few hours making ammo.

What do I use? Same thing I've always used, a Rock Chucker, RCBS dies, and a Pact Electronic Powder dispenser Combo( Well, I did use a RCBS 505 until I bought the Pact). I also have a RCBS powder-trickler but, since getting the Pact, I rarely need it. Slow? I can do 200 rounds in three hours when I want to. Same weight, same crimp and within +or- .001" OAL.

I load five different calibers, all on the same equipment; 38/357, 44Spl/44Mag, 45ACP, 45Colt, 30-06. The only time I reload is during the late fall, winter, early Spring or, if it's raining to hard to shoot. Usually, by the middle of March(When Chuck and I start shooting) I have three or four thousand rounds of just 45ACP loaded and ready to go.

I don't need or want a fancy, high-volume Progressive Reloader. Why be in such a rush? Isn't life rushed enough as it is? Besides, 98% of shooters don't shoot enough to justify one anyway.

titanse05
02-22-2013, 07:09 PM
To me a progressive is the only way to go and I have a Hornady Lock-n-load. When I first got the press I setup each die station separately and then produced a single round at a time till I got the hang of it. I have a RCBS lockout die to keep me from under/over charging and havn't had any problems with the first 4k rounds loaded so far. I enjoy reloading and will continue to do so as long as I am able.

deputybpfife
02-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Patiently waiting on the Dillon RL550B. I haven't reloaded at all yet, but in doing research, I decided that I wanted to go to a progressive press. To each his own... For me, I wanted to be able to reload a few hundred rounds fairly quickly. Looking forward to getting the toy to play with.

Boats
02-23-2013, 07:47 AM
I use a Lee Classic Turret press for pistol (45 & 9mm), and with the indexer. I dump and weigh powder often and visually inspect every round. I do use the attached primer and find it to be almost completely reliable. I also use the disk style powder measure that comes with and have gotten it to work reliably.

For rifle (5.56 & 7.62) I use a Lee Breechlock Challenger single stage and a Uniflow powder measure with micrometer, all in batch mode as taught by Father Mike.

I have a Hornady Lock & Load powder scale and measure that I use infrequently.

Like Dave, I also like reloading. It gets me out by myself with my thoughts and relaxes me. I'm a medium volume shooter I guess. Maybe 1000 rounds of 45 a month, and much less of other calibers.

This setup works well for me and the only reason I could think of to move to something more sophisticated is because I'm an engineer and like fancy equipment :D

Tom

AutoMag
02-23-2013, 09:43 AM
I started on an RCBS Rock Chucker, still use it and also have a Dillon RL550B!!

Use this info at your own discretion!!!:D:D

KeystoneWeaponBK
02-23-2013, 10:59 AM
I have a few Lee Progressive 1000's, a Turret and a single stage... I like the progressive for making mass ammo that I shoot a lot like 9MM, 45ACP, 22TCM and 38Super but use the turret for making batches of ammo to test and it's what I started on, it has loaded tens of thousands of rounds by now and just won't give up :)