PDA

View Full Version : lee factory crimp die

CalWhit33
07-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I have one of these on the way. But I am a little confused on the process. I have read many different things on it. My question is what is the best way. To seat and crimp in my regular die first, seat with regular die crimp with lee, or skip regular die and seat and crimp with lee die on the same pull. Also will it work with already reloaded rounds? Bullets are 230 gr lrn. Thanks guys

Olympus
07-08-2011, 11:43 AM
I seat separately and use the factory crimp die last, after the bullet has already been seated.

Sent by Brown's Custom Grips using Tapatalk!

DrHenley
07-08-2011, 11:03 PM
The FCD does not have a seater plug, so you will have to seat with a regular seating die first.

I set my seating die so that it just takes down the bell, but does not crimp, then run it through the FCD to crimp and post-size.

I actually "Neck-Size" my pistol brass, sizing only the portion that the bullet will be seated in. The post-sizing ring on the FCD takes care of the rest of the case.

O-frame
11-06-2011, 09:59 PM
I've used the Lee FCD in 9s & 40s with most excellent results.

Haven't needed one on 45 acp yet.

jcc7x7
11-28-2011, 06:56 PM
I use them on almost everything now. They wrok great and make a very uniform crimp.
Only draw back is if you use LEad bullets that are sized bigger than what is concidered nominal. i.e. 9mm 355/56, 40S&W 400/401 etc. It will resize the oversized bullet to nominal.
So if you trying to get an old revolver to shoot better cause of mismatched clyinders and barrel dimentions its hard to use the Lee FCD.

Other than that they are great.

BUt they only crimp they DO NOT seat the bullet